• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Citations, Bulbapedia Policy, and our position in the fan community

Since I've been voted down I guess...

Do you guys need the credit? Are you so desperate for people to visit your sites that you need everything you discovered to be cited? I agree that credit should be given where it is due. But you tell me how we should do that. It's more productive than jsut whining.

And where do you propose we put the credit? We generally don't do references, and putting it after each sentence would be awkward. How long should the credit stay up? Indefinitely? But what if a BP user gets hold of the same information themselves? Then would the credit be removed since the information was being provided straight from the source?
I'm fine with the credit remaining above the card list, where it was, until people have gained access to the cards over the weekend. So basically, the credit just needs to remain there for the next day or so.

I'm not even going to answer the rest of your questions. Hold yourself to a higher standard. That's all I'm going to say. TTE and other TCG peeps know what I have to go through with TPCi to keep my info up.

Hold yourself to a higher standard.

A standard of not whining and assuming we're the only ones who can possibly get information from Japan? You betcha!

In this particular instance, with the HGSS set information, the cite to Pokebeach is deserved. The information does appear to have been sourced from him, and it's not something that could exactly be considered as common information.

Having said that, we do need a uniform style for the references. Simply typing something in there isn't going to work. I've redone the reference on that article with the appropriate tags, using the internal referencing system in the wiki, and putting it in line with how our draft references policy sets things out.

Last edited:
Look. Over at Bulbanews, we do have a resources page. Here, in fact. Would that be enough to soothe your souls if it were to be brought to the 'pedia?

EDIT: Also, as I will be attending the HGSS pre-release Sunday, I am now going to introduce my new policy for any images I originally upload, including card images.

A) Images cannot be watermarked unless source is given. (no source is fine, but no site watermarks either)

B) If I find that any major fansite does not follow this rule, I will send them an e-mail about it.

C) If a single site ignores the e-mail twice, and watermarks with no source, I will no longer allow such site to use my images.

D) If said problem continues, I will encrypt my username into the files in numerous ways, to prove they were stolen. This may result in loss of quality, though.

I will put this on all future original images I upload.

Last edited:
Thank you Liam.

Let me just tell you guys a few things about me. I go out of my way to get information. I'm not one of those webmasters who sits on my butt all day and finds random information from other sites and post it. I actually go out and do actual reporting. That's how I got into the Arceus movie. That's how I have contacts at TPCi. That's how I got the interview with the old director of the show. I actually do WORK.

With early set scans, I have sacrificed a lot. I was banned from being a professor by TPCi because I have a source for the scans that even they cannot locate. TPCi's hate for me (well, the TCG department's hate) is publicly known - you can find it on any active, current TCG forum. I know it's hard to know when someone is right on the Internet, but in this case I wanted to grab some of you by the necks and shake you for some of the things you were saying both here and on AIM. If you have access to the information I have, why would the BP users credit me? That doesn't make sense, so don't throw out stupid hypotheticals like that. Furthermore, if you did have someone who could access this info, TPCi would be sending you a nice threatening e-mail telling you to remove it. If you did not comply, they would try to approach you at live events (such as Worlds 2008 in Florida) with their lawyers and tell you not to do what you're doing. However, since they can't find out who your source is, they wouldn't be able to take you to court as they so threaten, which means they can alienate you in other ways, such as banning you from tournies or taking away your professor status. So I really don't think you would want to even imply you are the owner of early set information.

I hope you understand now. I sacrifice a LOT, more than people like Joe ever could. So excuse me if I want a damn little link to my site for the sake of credit and for the sake of BP's reputation with visitors and TPCi. :p

Last edited:
So according to you, they're trying to get you to stop posting information on cards...that they sell? That doesn't seem logical at all, nor could I see any possible reason for them doing so.

It's more the fact that I'm posting scans of products that have not officially been released yet. And yes, you WOULD think they would welcome it since it advertises their prereleases, but they don't. They might realize it's good advertising though, which is why they haven't shut down the site yet.

Jesus Christ, seriously. Can't all the owners of the popular Pokémon sites go onto a chat and sort this out, and come to some kind of agreement? There really shouldn't be this much drama and discussion over it.

So, we will keep that reference up until the expansion release date, just like our prerelease template on the card pages.

@Immewnity, Unless your scans are are greater than Zedbill's top quality scans, his aren't getting replaced. I'm telling you now, the only cards you will be replacing are the extreme few that are from the Japanese card database.

Can we lock this please and have the three of you sort this out in private? I don't think we're getting anywhere having it open like this. It's just causing unneeded tension.

It's more the fact that I'm posting scans of products that have not officially been released yet. And yes, you WOULD think they would welcome it since it advertises their prereleases, but they don't. They might realize it's good advertising though, which is why they haven't shut down the site yet.

Pssht, Amazon does that all the time.

Hey guyz! Want to join my Pokemon webring! All the big Pokemon sites can join, and we can vote for each other and stuff! :D

I actually go out and do actual reporting. That's how I got into the Arceus movie. That's how I have contacts at TPCi.
I didn't know "getting illegal recordings of a movie" was considered part of actual reporting.

With early set scans, I have sacrificed a lot. I was banned from being a professor by TPCi because I have a source for the scans that even they cannot locate. TPCi's hate for me (well, the TCG department's hate) is publicly known - you can find it on any active, current TCG forum.

Bragging about said illegal activity on your site probably won't get you back in their good graces. Just sayin'.

Hey guyz! Want to join my Pokemon webring! All the big Pokemon sites can join, and we can vote for each other and stuff! :D
No.

I didn't know "getting illegal recordings of a movie" was considered part of actual reporting.
Reporters often have to record stuff to remember it. Not really too illegal since it was just for the sake of writing a movie summary.

Bragging about said illegal activity on your site probably won't get you back in their good graces. Just sayin'.
My method is not illegal, which is why TPCi can't do anything.

Reporters often have to record stuff to remember it. Not really too illegal since it was just for the sake of writing a movie summary.

My method is not illegal, which is why TPCi can't do anything.

Oh good, I'll just take my camcorder to the theater with me to see Avatar, and when the security guy in there confronts me, I'll say it's necessary for me to write my review!

...I'm pretty sure recording, of any kind, at a movie theater, is frowned upon. And admitting it on your site, like I said, isn't really something anyone should be doing, especially if they've already been in tangles with a company.

Oh good, I'll just take my camcorder to the theater with me to see Avatar, and when the security guy in there confronts me, I'll say it's necessary for me to write my review!

I used a tape recorder, not a video camera, and it was in my backpack. :p

Also, the "My method is not illegal, which is why TPCi can't do anything" line refers to the card scans, not this one instance of recording something so I could write a movie summary.

BTW I think you guys should lay off. We all know you two hate me for SOVA-related reasons, so you don't need to drag this topic down with your personal attacks. Thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom