• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Clash of the Grass-starters!

Pride

The First Homunculus
Reaction score
Which starter would win? I personally pick Torterra.

I pick Pokemon by design, not purely by stats and battling ability.

On that merit, I choose Jaroda, with Torterra in a close second. Sceptile is just ugly >_<

This one's easy for me. Gotta go with my favorite Pokemon (or the fully evolved form thereof), Venusaur.

It's also, without a doubt, the best battler of the five.

It's tough for me. Venusaur, an original Poke with a lot of battling potential in a number of roles, or Jaroda, with that nice design and Perversity + Leaf Storm?

Eh, I'll give it to Jaroda. Venusaur relies on sleep a lot; therefore, it loses.

Venusaur. So freaking awesome. Meganium's a great cleric too, while I personally hate Sceptile for losing to Wally so many times in Ruby. I hate Torterra, but Turtwig is the best Pokemon ever. And Jaroda seems awesome..but my fave Gen V starter is Pokabu.

Jaroda. Best design for a grass-type Pokemon period.

Also, Perversity + Leaf Storm.

Jaroda's design is very nice, and he has a tint of elegance in him that makes him a favourite of mine. It's a shame that he didn't have a secondary type, type coverage or Baton Pass.

This was kinda difficult. Even though Smugleaf (and Jaroda) are one of my new favorite Pokes, the question is: Who would win?

In terms of design, I'd have to say Jaroda followed by a tie between Torterra and Sceptile.

In battle, you can't really compare them because they all have different types of battle styles, but from just looking at their typings the clear winner is Torterra because it is partially Ground (which gives it a advantage over 5 types). I've used almost all of the Grass Starters (recently Torterra in Diamond and Sceptile in HeartGold), and they're all great, but without looking at the stats and moves I'd say that Torterra is the best out of all of them in terms of battling overall.

So even though this question was worded differently than I expected, Jaroda still gets my vote. It's design is great and it's moves are decent, but I haven't had the chance to use him/her yet so I wouldn't know.

Torterra wins for me. He was the best grass starter I've ever played with.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom