• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clefable and Gengar

B-Z

Lavender Town Addict
Reaction score
Here's a little Mindfuck for the day brought to you by random sources over the internet:

"Gengar and Clefable have, through trademarking and beta art, been proven to have been some of the earliest Pokemon made. (Coincidentally, they are also some of the first Pokemon when you list the original 151 by index number, with Gengar appearing shortly after Clefable.) Also, Clefairy was originally going to be the mascot of Pokemon (instead of Pikachu), so it was going to be a pretty important Pokemon. Gengar is known as the "Shadow Pokemon," but what exactly is it a shadow of? Take a look at a picture of Clefable, and then one of Gengar. Their body shapes are almost exactly alike, with the only major difference being that Clefable has a curl for its hair and tail, while Gengar has spikes. However, the shadow of an upright spiral like Clefable's tail would only be a line, or a spike.

Now look at their typings. One of normal-type, and the other has ghost-type. Due to their immunities, neither of them could hit the other with STAB attacks, since they'd just be immune to each other.
Have you ever tried to hit your shadow?"

It would be nice to have something other than 'sources over the internet' making these claims.

Yeah, but it's an interesting thought, more or less.

Yay, Poke-theorizing :p The remainder of this post will probably be somewhat graphic. Just fair warning.

So, kind of like the Cubone-Baby Kangaskahn theory? Albeit plausible, they're actually somewhat morbid... What's the link between Clefable and Gengar? Are Gengar the corrupted souls of Clefable, or just physical manifestations of their proverbial "shadows"? And if so, why are they sentinent and malevolent beings, rather than just lumps of shadow in places lacking light? And what could be corrupting them... Perhaps the ultimate unseen evil power that drives humans to believe Murkrow are bad omens and Giratina governs death?

Cubone is the same way- Does it wait mournfully by its mother's corpse until finally accepting she is dead before removing her skull and stripping it of flesh? Sure, you can argue that the white exposed part of Marowak's head IS her skull, but that still means Cubone has to remove it somehow. But its primary tool for almost every task is it's bone club... which is confirmed to be its mother's femur. This means Cubone ends up tearing bones from Marowak at some point, no matter what.

...Unless it waits idly for whatever extended period of time it takes for Marowak to completely decompose. So, watching it's mother's body rot is the entirety of Cubone's childhood. And that's the BRIGHTER of the two possibilities.

I now sense blown minds and destroyed childhoods.

Last edited:
This theory seems very plausible.
Hmmm...

More research may be needed.
If we can find more similarities, this would be more plausible...

I remember seeing this theory in another place before and it is very interesting. Reminds me from another theory about Cubone and Kangaskhan.

Why have I never heard of this before?
Sounds like it'd be really awesome if it was true...

I've seen a lot of theories pop up like this, involving the Gengar line. I remember seeing one about how a Shelder ends up becoming Gengar. Then there is the picture that reads "You are now aware that Gengar is just a corrupted Clefable soul" so obviously you aren't the only one who thinks this way. Interesting, if true.

I have a theory that Gengar were originally supposed to evolve from Grimer since the slime comes before the shadow in the Gen I index numbers. Maybe it was something like ectoplasm that takes on humanoid form.

I relaized this a long time ago.
Look at my sig.
Of course, it may not be true.

Scary, I JUST did an MS Paint on this:
gengarstruth.png

Kinda figured this out by myself when I was making a Gengar sig a while back.
I noticed how the ears, hands and legs are exactly the same.
Never knew until now that other people had really taken note of it though.

well anyways this was the pic I made (and yes i know it's rubbish, it was when i was figuring out how to use photoshop)
1y1uep.jpg

Really though I honestly think there is no real connection between them other than the fact that they were drawn by the same people

I realised this in a trivia, and because of this, I liked both of them. It's a very interesting thought to see both of them in Doubles (which someone did in Battle Revolution shown on Youtube).

Thanks for reading.

I know its a little random, buuut..
Apparently, Venonat was to evolve into Butterfree, and Metapod into Venomoth.

Oh look, it's this conversation again.

I sorta disagree with these claims, for one thing, Gengar comes from a separate family, as does Clefable, just because they look similar is like saying Ditto is a baby Grimer.

That, and they're getting old now, I'm sorry.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom