• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

In Red Version:

Charizard: Burnie Mac
Gyarados: Seafood
Pikachu: Cheese
Clefable: Starburst
Dodrio: Wing Zero
Weezing: Smoke Bomb

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

SS team:
Typhlosion-Blast(Its Jap name is Bakufoon, baku means blast)
Heracross-Horn(it's a single horn Pokemon)
Electivire-Ellie(It's a female Electivire so I name it so)
Palkia-Pearl(It's the mascot of Pokemon:pearl version)
Gyarados-Rage(It lived at the lake of rage)
Lugia-Aero(Becoz Lugia is like a plane)

All of the Pokemon I intend to use on a team get nicknames. I pick my names from VK / Jrock songs.
Current SS Team:
Espeon: Anomie (Thought it sounded fitting for an Espeon.)
Honchkrow: Lastica (Only song by a band called カラス, which is Japanese for 'crow'.)
Breloom: Datura (Name of a flower.)
Electivire: Breaker (Like an electrical breaker.)
Kingdra: Acedia (It sounded royal, which I thought worked for a dragon.)
Flygon: Arlequin (No idea why I picked this.)

Metagross - Sovereign

Spiritomb - Legion (We are Legion, for we are many.)

Dusknoir - Harbinger

Gengar - Carbuncle

Froslass - Seraphim

Alakazam - Monarch

Vector, my Masquerain. Its description says it's highly manuverable, and thrust vectoring is a system used by the F-22 that makes it extremely manuverable, so...yeah.

In SoulSilver

- Ene-chan the Skitty

- Ei-kun the Espeon

- Gyara-chan the Gyarados

- Hino-kun the Typhlosion

- Upa-chan the Wooper

- Doga-chan the Koffing

Need I explain how I got the names? :p

Let's see. On Diamond, my (hacked) team currently consists of:

Braco the Bagon (B + Draco, like B + Dragon.)
Dratino the Dratini (Male form of the Italian plural. He'll have a counterpart later named Dratina.)
Gabriel the Gible (named after Gabriel the Gabite in Gen.2021.)
Suigun the Buoysel (named after Rachel's first Pokemon.)
Shootle the Grotle (nae + tle = "shoot" + tle = Shootle.)
Yuccello the Staravia ("Uccello" is Italian for "bird".)

The first four are all characters in Generation 2021. In Gold, I had:

Suzume the Fearow (Need I say more?)
Denchu the Pikachu (Ken's Pikachu. The protagonist was also named Ken.)
Meganium
Gyarados
Ampharos
Rapidash

(The last four were not nicknamed.)

: I think. I lost the save file.

I never hack to level-up. I want to train these guys.

I accidently nicknamed my TOTODILE Totodile mainly because I forgot that they do pokemon names in caps... otherwise I'm not creative enough for nicknames.

I don't name my Pokemon, because I feel as though if I name one, EVERY single Pokemon should be named. This would be a problem when receiving Pokemon Via Wi-fi without Nicknames, because you can't give nicknames to traded Pokemon.

Back in Crystal version I named my cyndaquil Speedy, after the hamster I had at the time (I was like 10 leavemealone). So in Heartgold I also nicknamed cyndaquil Speedy, even though it's not much of a fitting name for a Typhlosion. But it does make for laughs whenever I battle on of my friends over Wi-Fi and listen to their comments.
*trainer sends out Speedy!*
Friend: Snrk, Speedy what kind of lame ass pokemon is thaOH MY FUCKING GOD TYPHLOSION GFGSJSKJHKDJSGHS

ive heard some weird ones like calling a Staraptor - Potato

Hmmm...I really like this thread ^^

Luxray-male: Lucius (since the lux comes from the latin for light and Lucius was a name associated with the word lux, also because of his docile nature)

Gyarados-male: Gyara-chan (the name Red gives his Gyarados in Pokemon Special manga)

Pidgeot-male: Qwilleran (at first he was named Quill because of the feather reference but I took a step farther and named him Qwilleran after the main character in The Cat Who.. series and because of his lonely nature, the story character lived alone with two cats =p)

Gastrodon-female: Squish (the only thing I could figure out for a Gastrodon with a Quirky nature)

Nidogod the Nidoking.

Here's what I'm going to nickname the BW starters:
Tsutarja - Smugleaf
Pokabu - Bake-on
Mijumaru - No one

Swampert - Tidalwave
Lucario - Anubis
Electivire - Shockwave
Aerodactyl - Aeroforce
Gengar - GetInDaVan
Tyranitar - GodzillaJr

Rasta the lilleep- Well, i couldn't think of a name, so i just sat there trying to think of a show to reference, then i looked at it's sprite, it looks JUST like it has dreadlocks.

Hoff the Azumarill- I was watching Comedy central, and an Add for the Roast on David Hasslehoff came up, so right there i decided my next pokemon would be named hoff. Next patch of grass, marril shows up.

Navy the Trapinch- Well, not sure what logic i used for this, i think it's my backup "When in doubt, say a colour" and navy is a nice colour

Shmowzow the Magnitrike- Well what time is it? Adventure time.

I don't usually nickname my Pokemon but lately I have been, just to be different. I pick my names on a whim though they usually do have a bit of a theme, mostly because I find Pokemon hard to nickname for some reason.

My current team:

Amarant the Typhlosion - named after Amarant of Final Fantasy IX, mainly because he is known as the Flaming Amarant. Seemed fitting.

Pharos the Ampharos - Named not for his species but for the Pharos lighthouse of Final Fantasy XII.

Fahrenheit the Fearow - Named after the airship in Final Fantasy X. Cause he flies me around everywhere. XD

Vash the Tauros - Vash the Stampede! I had to. From Trigun.

I always give unown nicknames that start with what letter they are. My favorite one would have to be Skittles (i really wanted some skittles)

Last edited:

Oddly enough my Platinum team consists of guys from my Ruby:

Inferno - Blaziken
Dragoon - Salamence
Monolith - Groudon
Monsoon - Azumarill
Cerebro - Metagross
(all Pal Parked from Ruby)
If I would've had the forethought I would likely have changed the names before bringing them over.
Last slot is usually what I'm dragging around with the Exp. Share stuck on it.
At the moment it's a Dratini/Dragonair named "Mirage".

Every pokemon I catch, with the exception of ones I am sure I'll release, get named. Just a thing with me I suppose.

On my HG:
Walt - Typhlosion
Drifdraf- Drifblim
Zen - Medicham
Dawn - Ho-ho
Grace - Gardevoir
Gasty - Gastrodon

I didn't nickname ALL my pokemon, just the special ones I really love.
I speak 2 languages English and Arabic, so some of them have names that have a meaning in the other language.

Migrain= Alakazam
Kasir= Scizor ( it means Breaker in Arabic)
Wrd= Sceptile pronouned Wa-ird ( it means Flower and Lion in Arabic)
Katrina= Salamence (After that hurricane...)
Thalam= Umbreon (Means Darkness in Arabic)
Charger= Donphan

There are others, I just have too many. These are the ones who come up to mind.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom