• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

*Cracks knuckles*
Let's see...

My starters are usually the first thing that comes to my head *Looks at "Sputnik" and "Kai" (both are Swamperts)*
"I AM ANGRY" the Gyarados,
"Wildwurger" the Skarmory (Cookies if you know the reference o: )
"Morag" the Milotic (Scottish name, and Milo looks a bit like Nessie)
"Loki" the Tyranitar
"Pimplup" the... well guess. >_>

I have loads of other badly named pokés, but most of my good ones are on my Shoddybattle team. D:

Well, for my main team in Pearl...

Empoleon: Azul (Means blue)
Luxray: Lynx (rhymes with Shinx)
Golduck: Misty (named after a certain character)
Golem: Gaia
Rapidash: Hiashi (Japanese word related to fire)

The sixth is the Chatot someone trades in exchange for Buizel (Charap) so I don't think it counts, but its a cool name. Chatot and Perap, lol.

Azul is an awesome name. ...though, are you sure Hayashi is related to fire? Can't think of it being so. o_O
Mind, it's not a topic I'd know much about. >____>;;

Last edited:
Getting a team together very slowly (currently fighting Crasher Wake and I have a team of 3.)

Empress the Empoleon (F) (Uninspired)
Rosalina the Roselia (F) (Once again, uninspired.)
Tori the Staraptor (F) (Staraptor-Tori.

Me... I love to nickname my permanent team of six for that game so they're special to me. My favorite Pokemon from Emerald (That is now my pearl team) are...

Sceptile (Grass, totally uninspired)
Swellow (Gutsy, because of it's ability guts)
Azumarill (Mouse, uninspired)
Swalot (Sludger, because I became addicted to using it's move sludge)
Tropius (Grasswing, yeah guess why)
Pelipper (Waterbird, ^)

Oh and Pikapi, Charap is a cool name lol.

Last edited:
For D/P I've tried mostly to stick to a mythological theme with my main team, though I've had to divert when I simply couldn't think of anything. Right now, it's:

Torterra - Yggdrasil (It was Torterra or a Sudowoodo)
Staraptor - Horus
Octillery - Kraken
Blaziken - Mars
Mamoswine - Audhulma (Pretty obscure compared to most of these.)
Toxicroak - Izanami
Lopunny - Kalulu (occasionally on the team, named after an African trickster spirit)
Chansey - Hera (also occasionally around.)

My team of rookies (led by a rookie Pokemon player currently trying to figure out what levels it would be best to take her team to the first gym.):

Piplup (m) - Mizu - 'water'
Starly (f) - Astor - 'hawk' (mistakenly gave her a male name)
Bidoof (m)- Milo - Apparently could mean 'soldier', but actually chosen because I thought it was cute....
Shinx (m) - Hikaru - Male version of 'Hikari' meaning 'light'.
Kriketune (m) - Quin - Um. I liked the sound of it.
Magikarp (f) - Su - Couldn't think of anything interesting. Coincidentally, it means 'water' in Turkish.

As you can see, I've chosen some names for their meaning, some....just out of mid-air. All over the place, pretty much. Didn't have much in mind other than my 'plan' for the whole game; to kick back and have fun indulging my (rather large) geekish side.

Well that certainly isn't the whole point of the game. =P

And lol, because I named my new Lucario "Hikaru". He's my best Lucario yet, so I wanted to give him a champion-sounding name.

I usually nickname mine based on their species' names, what type(s) they are, or what they look like:

Regigigas: Titan
Roserade: Orchid
Tangrowth: Grove
Luxray: Megawatt

Well that certainly isn't the whole point of the game. =P

And lol, because I named my new Lucario "Hikaru". He's my best Lucario yet, so I wanted to give him a champion-sounding name.

Heehee. Nice choice. I've got a couple of Japanese names in mind for future catches, almost entirely due to my being an anime fan. I use an archive of first names to search for others I might use. A daft amount of effort to put into a video game, but it keeps me entertained.

i named an infernape tsunami, she's disastrous.

empoleon "aladdin"
swampert "eminem"
charizard "sting"
donphan "garbage"

articuno "everest"
moltres "pharoh"
heatran "meatwagon"
mewtwo "jupiter"

i give my pokes names based on how they look to me. they look like their names....except my weavile. i named her "bjork" because of sneasel's description, it reminded me of the singer bjork attacking that reporter XD

Last edited:
Well, let's see, I'm new in Nicknaming, and I like to make my nicnames awesome, or no nickname...so, here are my nicknamed pokemon:

Live Wire - Electivire (I wanted something to do with electricity and his unique tails, and a friend told me of some comic superhero who was known as Live Wire)
Jaws - Garchomp (It's first nickname was Gary [Garchomp <-> Gary], but it is a Female Garchomp, so it HAD to go. Then I found out that Garchomp was nicknamed the "Land Shark", so I thought of famous Sharks, and Jaws came to mind immediately. It was short and fearable)
DOSAIDON - Rhyperior (I heard that DOSAIDON was Rhyperior's Japanese name from Serebii.net, so I decided to give it that name, though I'm thinking in a new name for it now, I want something original)
Anubis - Lucario (they just look alike, so I gave it that nickname)
Monki - Houndoom (He looks a lot like my dog, named Monki.)

I've also gotten some pokemon from some friends and myself in my Fire Red version, but I can't change their names, but here is what I would have given them:

Missingno. - Porygon-Z (Darn, I wish I could change that >_> I'd even use a glitch or GameShark for it [if GameShark can do that <_<'. I wouldn't know, I've never used GameShark])
Houdini - Alakazam (Another name I forgot to give before trading from my Fire Red >_> It's so lame you can change names for pokemon gotten from the Pal Park)

I've got some nicknames from XD to share:

Ottanson-Espeon, can be pronouced AW-tan-son or OH-tan-son, but the first is the main pronuciation. Driven from the Egyptian sun god Ottan, and son, a boy child. This is the second veriation of this name. Other Espeon I have often have the name Ottanlee.

Salfearo-Salamence, Masculized form of Salfeara, the female dragon from the book/movie "Eragon" (It's a male Salamence)

Aslan-Manetric, the deity-like being in the form of a lion from the book/movie "The Chronicals of Narnia". This also makes sense because Manectric comes from Japanese legends concerning thunder demons who take the shape of animals. (according to Bulbapedia)

Mary-Marrowak, from Marrow and the female name. Coincidentaly, she also shares her name with a book charactor I'm reading about. Mary from "Everlost".

Silvia-Lugia, Not intentinaly named after Silvia from said game, I assure you.

Vivid-Lapras. ........I know.

I tend to give rather royal names (save Lapras) to all of Eldes's former pokemon, being a big fan of him. Anybody have a better suggestion for Lapras and Marrowak?

Breeding Projects! These are all babies living in either int the box marked Orphnage, or raised for battle!

Magnhild-Cleffa, female, Norwegian name meaning "great battle"
Honey-Teddiursa, female, DUH
Gretle-Teddiursa, female, I just like that name:D she had a brother name Hansel but he was released in my breeding project sweep
Chersus, Prunus, Speciosa, Avuim-Cherubi, male, female, female, female all specie names of cherries
Virginia-Snover, female, from Virginia pine
Vernon-Ekans, male, Vernon sounds snaky to me
Simone-Ralts, female, they just seem sort of French, don't they?
Narcissa-Murkrow, female, like Draco Malfoy's mom, but also some dude in Greek mythogloy who loved himself, and Murkrow like shiny stuff, so...yeah
Fenny-Bidoof, female, named for Fennywolde of the Deptford Mouse Chronicles.
Anubis-Riolu, male, cause Riolu looks like Anubis, sort of
Jingle and Jangle-Chingling and Chimecho, male and female, siblings and they are bells

In my new Leaf Green cart, I have:

Hiashi-Charmander, a post earlier in this thread gave me the idea.

Hayate-Mankey, Japanese for "Hericane" I use this name often because I'm a Spencer fangirl. It kinda fits Mankey anyway.

Haruko-Spearow, Japanese word for "spring" (Haruka) with an o at the end instead of an a to make in masculine. Yes, another Ranger referance, I know.

Konna-Rattata, random name I came up with. It seems out of place with the rest of te teams nicknames, so I'm replacing it as soon as I get to Lavander town. Any sugestions?

Romeo and Juliet, and that was my two gibles. Romeo is now a Garchomp, he got me past the elite four. :3
Two mareeps named Cotton and Scarf, along with an Eevee called Evian that are gathering dust this very moment in a box.
A Rapidash named Flint, I didn't even realise where I had seen the name before.
Dratini named FIERCE, after I saw an ep of project catwalk. And unfortunately a Riolu named Alpha.

Breeding Projects! These are all babies living in either int the box marked Orphnage, or raised for battle!

Magnhild-Cleffa, female, Norwegian name meaning "great battle"
Honey-Teddiursa, female, DUH
Gretle-Teddiursa, female, I just like that name:D she had a brother name Hansel but he was released in my breeding project sweep
Chersus, Prunus, Speciosa, Avuim-Cherubi, male, female, female, female all specie names of cherries
Virginia-Snover, female, from Virginia pine
Vernon-Ekans, male, Vernon sounds snaky to me
Simone-Ralts, female, they just seem sort of French, don't they?
Narcissa-Murkrow, female, like Draco Malfoy's mom, but also some dude in Greek mythogloy who loved himself, and Murkrow like shiny stuff, so...yeah
Fenny-Bidoof, female, named for Fennywolde of the Deptford Mouse Chronicles.
Anubis-Riolu, male, cause Riolu looks like Anubis, sort of
Jingle and Jangle-Chingling and Chimecho, male and female, siblings and they are bells

my riolu is called anubis too=O

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom