• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I named all my Pokemon after bands I like, so not anything clever, but I did name an Aerodactyl Aerosmith.

I called my Froakie "Lyagush", which means frog in russian and my Talonflame "Flinn" because, uhh... I dunno, I was watching Breaking Bad and nothing better popped out in my mind. XD

I didn't hesitate naming my X Lucario after Ryoga (again), and I wish I could name my event Blaziken after Ranma (again). The Mega Evolution just convinced me even more that those two Pokes were based after the two Ranma 1/2 rivals in the sense that Ranma is a very fast fighter and Ryoga's a resilient, powerful fighter. (Even though Blaziken doesn't mega-evolve into a girl form of itself nor does Lucario mega-evolve into a black piglet)

Let the "early-90's-romance/comedy-anime-similarities-to-pokémon" rumor mill begin...

Based on different mythologies
Sobek - (M) Krookodile
Mandibuzz - (F) Mandibuzz
Helios - (M) Rapidash

Hey, don't mind me with my Xerneas named "Bambi",
Litleo named "Simba",
a Pyraor named "Mufasa",
a Luxray named "Scar",
and a Goomy called "Gummy". :S

I nicknamed almost all of my Pokémon...
For example:
Torterra: Teranyklos
Hawlucha: Masked*Hawk (*=star)
Plusle: Proton
Mewtwo: Psystein
Greninja: Frogue

And many other uncreative nicknames... lol
Sometimes I misspelt words in nicknames but keep them... Like Tanturm the Tyrantrum. lol

I always nickname my main party or otherwise special pokemon I catch. These are the names of my main party Pokemon in Y at the moment.

Greninja: Jables (Jack Black's nickname, because at the time I only knew of Frogadier, and he looked so smug and cool; it kind of reminded me of Jack Black, I guess. xD)
Heliolisk: Tesla (I hope I don't have to explain this one. xD)
Linoone: Vex (After the burglary expert in "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.)
Hariyama: Borkul (I was playing Skyrim a lot while waiting for X and Y, haha.)
Venusaur: Rex (Because he's an awesome grass... dinosaur... thing, I guess. :p)

Then I've got my male Gardevoir. I actually have a funny story for how this name came to be. I had just bought Y, and I was hanging out at my friends house. We were both sitting on the couch, I'm playing pokemon, and he's playing "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword." Anyways, he gets to a boss fight. This guy.

What makes this character funny is that, in addition to dressing all posh and fancy with white hair with huge bangs, he also acts that way too. Before the battle, he's bragging to Link about how awesome he is and how uncultured link is. Basically, he's this over-dramatic pretty-boy villain. So at this point I found a Ralts, captured it, and said to my friend

"Quick, what's the villain's name?"

And that's how Ghirahim the Gardevoir joined my team. xD

So far I have a Slowbro (M) named ChadBroChill and a Ferrothorn (M) named Billy Bob (Ferro-Thornton). I'm trying to come up for a pop culture nickname for my Snorlax (M), but so far I can only think of Michael Floorwax and nobody's going to get that reference.

I don't know if this is clever or not, but I nicknamed my female Wobbuffet Ms. Wobbs.

I caught a Litwick last night solely for it's Flame Body ability for hatching eggs faster... nicknamed him WikyMartin. I probably sat there for 10 minutes just smiling.

My pokemon names
Shukaku -Tyranitar (Naruto)
Karuma -Ninetales (Naruto)
Ultron -Metagross (The Avengers)
Unit 03 -Garchomp (Rebuild of Evangelion)
Driger -Arcanine (Beyblade)

In Pokemon Black 2, I named three of my Pokemon Balerion, Vhagar and Meraxes after the three dragons of the original Targaryen Conquest of Westeros (Song of Ice and Fire reference). Now the current team I'm building just has random names. My Kanghaskhan is named Mahm!, for example

Not sure if this is clever or not, but I named my Chespin (m) Bercilak, after the Green Knight from the story Gawain and the Green Knight. I thought it would be fitting since Chespin's evolution family is based on knights.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom