• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

since my 3DS with my Pokemon X got stolen, here are my AMAZING, OUTSTANDING, Dr. Who nicknames for my Black 2 game:
Servine: 10th Doctor (i love him)
Blissey: Martha (one of the 10th's Companions. wants to be a Doctor. not a Time Lord, a regular Doctor.)
Vaporeon: Amy (died in one of the 11th Doctor episodes. i cried my eyes out.)
Vulpix: Jennie (the Doctor's daughter. odd that a Time Lord could have a child, but he does.)
Charmeleon: TARDIS (what the Doctor travels in. can take him ANYWHERE in time and space. malfunctions sometimes, as it is a LIVING being.)
Espeon: Rory (Amy's husband. died in same episode as Amy. stupid Weeping Angels.)
Archeops: Gallifrey (the Doctor's home planet, which was destroyed in the Great Time War.)
Deoxys: Time Lord (what the Doctor's is/was. he officially died in The Name of The Doctor. his TARDIS became his final resting place, because they were so close. the 11th Doctor was the LAST of the Time Lords. when he died, they died. the person who calls himself the 12th Doctor isn't one. i read the WHOLE plot line on the Wiki. that person broke the Promise the Doctor made to himself: to never kill, only protect. that person killed Clara. HE IS NOT THE DOCTOR! HE NEVER WILL BE!)

Last edited:
I named my Munna in Black "Yue", if only for the phonetic correlation between "Munna" and "moon". And I named a Torchic "Zuko" once, lol.

not sure if clever or a terrible pun, but i got a female steelix named "Steela" (Steel + Stella lol so clever :/ )

Some of the Pokemon I have nicknamed.

Sawk-Jigsaw
Throh-Ernie
Dedenne-Pikachu?
Pachirisu-Sandy Cheeks
Carnivine-OMNOMNOOM
Ampharos-Fluffikins
Gyarados-James
Abomasnow-Piney
Gengar-Sunshine
Gastrodon-Ugg Boots
Magneton-01011
Conkeldurr-Beefcake
Machamp-Norris
Trevenant-Orotto

I usually stick to a theme with each game. Black2 was all off the beaten path deities, but this game I opted to make everyone Welsh:

Sylveon - Rhubanau (ribbons)
Glaceon - Rhew (frost)
Golurk - Ymsymudydd (automaton)
Goodra - Llysnafedd (slime)
Gallade - Cleddyf (sword)
Crobat - Gwenwyn (venom)
Togekiss - Adenydd (wings)
Lapras - Moroedd (seas)

Working on nicknames for a Skuntank, Metagross, Mamoswine, Breloom, and Blastoise. And possibly Chandelure.

Just named my new Swinub Ysgrithredd, tusks.

Last edited:
I'm done the following:

- Name every pokemon on my team "Magikarp." Include an actual Magikarp among them.
- Name every pokemon on my team "Mewtwo." Including the Magikarp.
- Name my team after gym leaders.
- Name my team after Celtic deities.
- Name a Mewtwo "Fluffy."

I called my Red Gyarados, REDRUM.

1. REDRUM is MURDER backwards and murder is something that Gyarados is good at.
2. RED rum. Red Gyarados. get it?

HORRIBLE PUNS FTW

"Alex Mercer" the Yvetal. Come on, you can't say they aren't a little similar! Their color scheme even matches!

Sometimes I like to name my pokemon part of their name/part of another name like:
Druddigon: Drudley
Shelmet: Shelmer
Maractus: Cacthy

Some other nice names I've given my pokemon:
Xerneas: Vetrix (Reference to yu-gi-oh Zexal-Number 8)
Greninja: Frogurt
Jumpluff: Zatch
(on XD, there was a Hoppip that was destroying my team, so I eventually caught it and named it Zatch, it ended up helping me win the game, now I can't help naming my hoppips zatch)
Ninetails: Naruto

there have also been some strange ones:
Pineco: Scallops(?)
Anorith: Clauncher
Crobat: AAAAAAAAAA(No Kidding!)

Female Greninja named Mikasa. No, not clever at all. But you can't say it doesn't fit.

A friend of mine had a Trolldurus and a Metagross called Big Show.

Last edited:
Named the Gen VI legends after Greek deities: Artemis the Xerneas, Hades the Yveltal, Gaia the Zygarde. Also, I want to nickname a Chesnaught Chrom. (I've been playing too much Fire Emblem Awakening.)

The nickname of my first fully evolved starter was Lavatat, which was a female Blaziken. Dunno why I chose that name, but it seemed to fit.

More recently, I've enjoyed these names:
Madfall (Druddigon) - Welsh for lizard, funnily enough.
Astro (Metagross) - Just sounds really cool and spacey, perfect for Metagross, who's exactly that.
Lenore (Chandelure) - Very creepy, gothic name. Kinda rhymes with Chandelure, too.
Thugzilla (Scrafty) - Cause Scrafty is a gangsta.
OhShitWat (Oshawott) - I usually don't give Pokemon joke names, but there was something very satisfying about giving this name to my starter. Doesn't really fit it as a Samurott, though.

This isn't really a cool name, but I just found a Magmar with the nickname RAMGAM in my box and I laughed really hard.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom