• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Bred a Heavy Metal Aron. Since it was female, I named her Ferrera. Ferr- is a prefix for iron, based on the Latin word ferrum.

Zangoose: Logan (Wolverine's civilian identity)
Clefairy: Titania (Queen of the fairies in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream)
Sableye: Gemini (Because it has gems for eyes, get it?)
Magmortar: Firearm
Snorlax: Gourmet
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion: Backfire
Trevenant: Groot or Treebeard

Not sure if it counts because it wasn't mine, but I saw an Oshawott named Seliph with the OT named Sigurd. (Free cookies to those that get the reference)

But on the subject of my names, it isn't named yet, but I plan to get a Sceptile and name it Sicarius.

Not sure if it counts because it wasn't mine, but I saw an Oshawott named Seliph with the OT named Sigurd. (Free cookies to those that get the reference)

But on the subject of my names, it isn't named yet, but I plan to get a Sceptile and name it Sicarius.

Mah Fiah Emblum senses ah tinglin.

I have a a Flygon named Lanayru and a Mismagius named Circe. =D

Yveltal I named him Yami. Due to the final boss is Okami and the culture behind Yami. (Yveltal has finger like things on his wings and tail, looks like hands. And due to the culture behind Yami it is said that humans use their hands to DESTROY everything. Pretty fitting huh? Yami is also red and black like Yveltal)

I have many other cool nicknames but I'm proud of this one the most :p

I've always named my Charizard Atem (after the Yugioh character) and my Vaporeon Millennium. Also I used to always name Tentacool bad words because I was stuck without a surfing or cutting Pokemon so I had to go back 4 towns to catch a Tentacool and it was a pain to get.

Jigglypuff: Moon Angel. She has those large innocent eyes, and evolves using the moon stone. She's also round. XD

Sharpedo: Matsuoka Rin. A character from Free! that's based on a shark. Now, if only he hatched as a shiny...

Empoleon: Caesar. Eh, obvious much XD

Aggron: Silver Boss. I hatched a flawless male Aron so he's the boss.

I've just started a new playthrough of Pokémon SoulSilver, and a naming pattern has emerged for many of my Pokémon. Here are some examples:

Cyndaquil - I named him "Tyson", which is an abbreviation of Typhlosion.
Mareep - I named him "Marco" because the first three letters are an anagram of "ram".
Wooper - I named him "Gilbert" because he has gills (come to think of it that name won't make sense when he evolves).
Pidgey - I named her "Ava" because she's a bird.
Oddish - I named her "Rosie" because both of her possible second-stage evolutions have a link to flowers.

Can you see the pattern yet? All their names can be used as human names! A few of the Pokémon I've caught have simple names that aren't common in humans, but for the most part the pattern has stuck.

I'm thinking I need to nickname some of the Pokemon from my Colosseum save file.

Umbreon - Ebony
Espeon - Ivory
Entei - (take a wild guess)

I named my Ampharos "Andromeda". I love that name.

I named my Gardevoir "Estranja" after Laganja Estranja the drag queen. Love her.

I named my female Bisharp Lyuze, after a character from Casshern Sins. My female Sylveon is named Serena (as in Sailor Moon, not the PC) and my female Magician Fennekin is named Sophita, after a minor character from Casshern Sins.

My Golurk is the only one who has gotten an original name: Riser came from a story I was writing. The character Riser was a robot whose model was known as an Iron Fist. When I saw that Golurk looked like a robot and could have Iron Fist as an Ability, I knew what I was going to call the big guy.

I named a Riolu "Anakin" because I'd recieved its egg on May the 4th (Star Wars day). Then there's Asphodel the Giritina, named after one of the parts of the Greek underworld. ATV the Bibarel, because that Pokemon is literally an all-terrain vehicle with its HM's.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom