• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I named my Pidgeot on X after Skye, my favorite Agents of SHIELD character. Pidgeot's a flying type, so the name makes perfect sense. XD

Dr Fetus is always a favourite on my inevitable Reuniclus.

I had a Ponyta, now a Rapidash, called Jean, lmao.

My Tentacruel is Squidward. Was gonna be Hentai, but that's been censored this gen. Laaame.

Deino called Emosaur. He'll never evolve. Ever.

Male Houndoom is Azazel, female is Petra.

I also have 7 shiny flawless Bidoofs all named after greek gods. It was a running joke in a trading group, and I cherish these buggers.

If I had known that Shiny Gardevoirs get a BLACK dress when they mega evolve I would have had the person I traded it from named it Maleficent. Oh if only I had known :(

Yeah, I'm gonna have to bump this, because I'm new. I was looking for some neato nicknames for my Mankey after restarting my SoulSilver game...just like Doug, I nicknamed my Cyndaquil C-Dizzle.

I shall call my Mankey Manilow.

Got a Squirtle from Wonder Trade named "Heavy Arms"

Should he evolve into a Blastoise, the name will make so much sense... :XD:

I am now tempted to catch a Bibarel and name it Justin.

Or a Natu and name it Brutus. (Which would've been awesome two months ago.)

I started naming my pokemon in G6 through "famous" people.

For example, the best name I came up with was for Honedge - Tomoe Gozen ( A famous female samurai if I remember correctly ).

My IGN in Y is Taira.
After hatching a Beldum I decided to try and find some ideas for a name online. I found out that Metagross was inspired by the Heike crab. Heike was 'meh' to me until right before I left the page I noticed something.

The Heike crab was named so from "The Tale of the Heike".
"The Tale of the Heike" is a narrative of the fall of the Taira Clan.

You'll never guess what I named my Metagross. BD

My friend named his Charizard Blazagon

Because Blaze
And Dragon
And it sounds kinda like Blaziken

Which is a weak yet amusing attempt of his to strike confusion in his opponents when he sends Blazagon into battle :p

I named a Krookodile Tick-Tock because it made me think of Peter Pan... otherwise my names are pretty boring or mythology based.

Wondertrade has given me such creatures as 'Big Momma' the Ursaring, 'Flamingo' the Illumise, 'Earty' the Mawile, 'Fabia' the Mareep, 'Akebono' the Hariyama, 'Edgy' the Honedge, '!!!!!!!!!!!!' the Honedge, 'Rapir' the Hypno, 'Peggle' the Beldum, 'Bbouncy' the Spoink, 'Slicer' the Ralts, 'Kevin Bacon' the Eevee, ''Xena' the Axew, 'Longpig' the Wurmple, 'Hirohito' the Silcoon, 'GEARS??' the Klink, 'heck!!!!!!!!' the Tropius, 'Spit-take' the Seadra, 'Nigella' the Froakie, 'Quacko' the Golduck, 'Viceroy' the Cloyster, 'Bruce' the Mantine (presumably a batman joke), among others.

Basically if you wonder trade a nicknamed 'mon I'm like 75% likely to keep it for amusement and Lotto-ID

Sort of ran low on ideas when I gave my Squirtle it's nickname - I was more interested in football at the time so I just simply named him after my favorite goalkeeper, Tim Howard.

I tend to give weird nicknames to my pokémon, especially the ones in Mystery Dungeon.

This includes my Weezing being called Kirlia, my Turtwig being Afrodita, my Nuzleaf being Shaman or my Houndoom being called Mayonnaise, to name a few.

I finally caught Raikou, after so many wasted Ultra Balls and getting chased away by Roar so many times. The thing gave me so much trouble, I named it "JERKFACE", even though Raikou's my favorite legendary beast.
I named Lugia Argentus, kinda like the Latin word for silver. Articuno was named Azurus (azure, blue) Zapdos got Fulminus (Fulmen was Latin for lightning) and Moltres was named Ignatius (no idea if it's fire-related or not, but it sounds like "ignite" and also sounds cool.)

I usually give my Pokemon names that are either meaningful or references, such as:

Teishi the Greninja (It means apprentice)

Soundwave the Shiny Exploud (Transformers character)

Pluto the Houndoom (Reference to both Hades, who's also known as Pluto, AND the Disney dog, also my late dog)

Flashlight the Lanturn

Sokoyo the Heliolisk (It's the name of a brand that makes solar panels)

Durandal the Aegislash (Legendary sword)

Phantom the Golurk (A mini-mecha from Endless Frontier)

There are many others that don't come into mind currently, but this is how I nickname my Pokemon usually.

I have a sacred tradition of nicknaming every member of my main team from each Pokemon game, and giving them all a theme.

My most recent playthrough, Y, had a weapons theme.

Ronson the Delphox (a flamethrower used in WWI)
Xylyl the Gengar (from xylyl bromide, a noxious gas used in chemical warfare)
Huey the Mow Rotom (a type of helicopter. or, in other words, a "chopper".)
Panzer the Avalugg (a type of tank)
Cestus the Pangoro (basically ancient boxing gloves)
Katar the Barbaracle (a type of bladed weapon that looks a LOT like Barbaracle's claws)

Yveltal I named him Yami. Due to the final boss is Okami and the culture behind Yami. (Yveltal has finger like things on his wings and tail, looks like hands. And due to the culture behind Yami it is said that humans use their hands to DESTROY everything. Pretty fitting huh? Yami is also red and black like Yveltal)

I have many other cool nicknames but I'm proud of this one the most :p

I love you, I hardly ever see any fans of okami.

I think my Platinum and Y teams had clever nicknames. Each of them a different naming theme.

Platinum (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Blaze the Infernape -Because she was a fire-type and Blaze controls fire
Amy the Luxray-Because Amy is fierce and can be scary
Tails the Floatzel-Because they both have similar colorings and two tails
Sonic the Garchomp-Because Garchomp are really fast
Knuckles the Lucario-Because Lucario are stong and have spikes on their hands
Shadow the Weavile-Because Shadow is a dark character who is very fast

Y (Cowboy Bebop)

Spiek the Chesnaught-Because the line has spikes on their body (Due to the name censor it couldn't be spelled like Spike).
Jet the Blaziken-Because it's head feathers remind me of airplane wings
Vicious the Blastoise-Because Blastoise can be intimidating (And there was no other name I could think of and Vicious was the only other major character)
Ein the Furfrou-Because Furfrou are smart dogs
Edward the Heliolisk-Because Edward was a computer hacker which is an electrical appliance
Faye the Goodra-Because she is really attractive and strong and Goodra is a cute pseudo legendary.

I guess, I'll also include my Bakugan themed FireRed team to a lesser extent.

Preyas the Blastoise (Water-type=Aquos)
Skyrus the Pidgeot (Flying-type=Ventus)
Gorum the Nidoking (I misspelled it. It should be Gorem) (Ground-type=Subterra
Tigrerra the Jolteon (Electric is similar to light which is like Haos)
Drago the Arcanine (Fire-type=Pyrus)
Hydranoid the Dragonite (Both are dragon-like)

Last edited:
I caught a Golett the other day and named it Silverwynde, purely because of the member on here who loves Golett and Golurk (and who I think of every time I see one). xD

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom