• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I usually try to reference other video game or anime characters in my Pokemon nicknames (or I'll just come up with something random). Some that I've given that I like are:

Charizard - Landia, named after the dragon boss from Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Coincidentally, Landia's EX form is a dark color, much like Charizard's X Mega Evolution.

Raichu - Daroach, named after the leader of the Squeak Squad in the Kirby series. His son [the Raichu's son] has replaced him in my main team (because I managed to get Volt Tackle on it), but I just named that one Sparky.

Gardevoir - Zelda

Lucario - Goku

Greninja - Zabuza, one of the villains from the Naruto series

Mawile - Iron Mam, a mini-boss from the Kirby series

Serperior - Snake (I wanted to put Solid Snake, but there wasn't enough room...)

Emboar - Midbus, a character from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Driftloon - ZE BLIMP!!

Exploud - AGK (just watch this and it'll all make sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOWJ4rKb_g&list=LLMbgob-Gk4gkN3uY7yCH6Xw&index=214)

Camerupt - HUMP DAY!!

I've become OBSESSED with the House of Night Novels (READ THEM!), so I've been naming my IGN and Pokemon after characters in the series. I ALWAYS pick female, and name her Zoey after the Main Character in the series. if my starter is male (it usually is) I name him Stark (for reasons I can't explain w/o giving out spoilers). the Poochyena you catch is normally female for me, so I name her either Stevie Rae or Shaunee. it's normally Stevie Rae. my flying Pokemon is ALWAYS Rephaim. so here is what my basic team looks like:

Starter: Stark
Poochyena: Stevie Rae (or Shaunee)
Swablu or any flying-type: Rephaim

thinking of getting a fire type and naming it after the Fledgling Vampyre with the Fire Affinity (gotta check the books). and YES, I did spell Vampyre right. that's how it's spelled in the books.

Latias: Avalon which is a mythical island and what does Latias reside on? The nickname would also work on Latios but it fits Latias better I feel.

I always love nicknames. In my previous X run I caught a Dwebble (now a Crustle) and named her Crabigail. This also applies to my Aegislash whom I nicknamed Excaliburt. Otherwise I don't think of anything too clever and usually stick with cute or regular ones like Manny the Manectric or Frostbite for my Glailie. I love all these nicknames people have come up with, though!

Banette - Slappy (Named for Slappy the Dummy from the Goosebumps books.)

Bisharp - Lanius (Named for Legate Lanius from Fallout: New Vegas and his giant sword - come on, I can't be the only one to think Bisharp looks at least a little bit Roman.)

Exploud - DJ X-PL0UD (Named for Vinyl Scratch from My Little Pony: FiM, a.k.a. DJ P0N-3.)

Scizor - Edward (Seems generic, but actually named for Edward Scissorhands because come on.)

Blissey - Hoovy (Named for friendly Heavies in Team Fortress 2, who often heal others by dropping their Sandviches. Probably one of my favorite names I've come up with.)

So far in Pokemon White, I nicknamed:

Emboar- BurntBacon(Emboar, as you know, is a fire type and a pig. We get bacon mostly from pigs. Cruel nicknames as is, it's clever in my eyes)
Cofagrigus- TombRaider(Because she's somewhat like a coffin found in tombs, and since it's alive, I decided to base it off of the movie "Tomb Raider")
Gurdurr- Leeroy J.(I couldn't think of a name at first, because the last one was bad. So, I decided to give him a regular name, off of a certain meme)

I'm don't know what to name my future Hydreigon though.

I forgot that I have nine Pokemon in Black 2 named after each of the TF2 classes (Hoovy the Blissey is from SoulSilver):

Scout - Jolteon
Soldier - Blastoise (traded from SoulSilver)
Pyro - Magmortar
Demoman - Electrode (traded from Platinum)
Heavy - Aggron
Engineer - Magnezone
Medic - Blissey
Sniper - Genesect
Spy - Ditto

My current Fairy team's nicknames:
Perkons - male Klefki
Marrie - female Slurpuff
Sophie - female Sylveon
Adrian - male Gardevoir
Aria - female Aromatisse
Bonnie - female Dedenne

Since Hydreigon is the Brutal Pokemon, why not name it after infamously brutal people? For example, I named my Hydreigon Attila.

IF only I saw your post, I wouldn't have named it "Threesome?".

Threesome would be good, although the game wouldn't let me name my Slurpuff Creampie for some reason....
I did call my Klefki 'The Referee', gave it a Red Card to hold so it says 'The Referee held up it's Red Card to xxxxx'. This amused me. Priority Recycle, Thunder Wave, repeat as necessary, but that's a different topic altogether.

Since Hydreigon is the Brutal Pokemon, why not name it after infamously brutal people? For example, I named my Hydreigon Attila.

IF only I saw your post, I wouldn't have named it "Threesome?".

Threesome would be good, although the game wouldn't let me name my Slurpuff Creampie for some reason....
I did call my Klefki 'The Referee', gave it a Red Card to hold so it says 'The Referee held up it's Red Card to xxxxx'. This amused me. Priority Recycle, Thunder Wave, repeat as necessary, but that's a different topic altogether.

I'm pretty sure the reason why it didn't allow you to name it "Creampie" is because it relates to something sexually. :p

I'm particularly proud of the name Zapperdabby for my Stunfisk.
I nicknamed my Beheeyem (then a Elgyem) Rosewell.
My Dedenne is named Thorling.
I caught a Skorupi and nicknamed him Loki.
I had a Zubat and had trouble naming her, so I asked my Dad about names for a bat Pokemon and he suggested "Guano". Since he was joking he suggested something to do with dusk and I settled on Duskie.
I named my Froakie Fru Fru, after a little toad I caught as a kid; I let that frog go and when I saw a huge toad some time later I assumed it was Fru Fru. The name Fru Fru was what I thought that trainer in the first Pokemon movie named his Venusaur. Turns out his name was Brute Root.
I'm going to name a Pachirisu Fritz. That's one of my plans for the Sinnoh remakes.
I have a Tropius named Branchio.
And those are some of the nicknames that come to mind; I have tons more.

I'm pretty sure the reason why it didn't allow you to name it "Creampie" is because it relates to something sexually. :p

This always annoys me, when I can't give a Pokemon a name because it references some vague innuendo that I don't even know the meaning of.

Still, somehow the censor system let me name a Chandelure "Hellfire." I don't get it.

In my future electric team - 4 out of the 6 Pokemon I already know which nicknames I'll use
Luxray - Milo, my typical name for male cats, from the movie 'Milo and Otis'
Emolga - Iris, super creative name there!! Laziness too!! from the Best Wishes anime
shiny Pachirisu - Andie, cute female red squirrel from the movie 'The Nut Job'
Heliolisk - ??? - haven't decided yet, must have a creative name, thinking of Rango, not certain
Magneton - ??? - haven't decided either, needs to be something creative
(not evolving, not cosplay either) Pikachu - Stuart, the white mouse from the movie 'Stuart Little'

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom