• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

T-hero and Z-hawk (my Throh and Sawk). Not only are the names corruptions of the original species names utilising actual words, the first letter in each represents the shapes of the black markings on their faces. Additionally, they kinda sound like superheroes.

Okay, I named my Hyrdreigon Alkazard.

No love for 'Threesome' or 'Threeway'? Must be me being immature......
My latest are:

Exeggutor - Mary-Jane
Greninja - Clyde Frog
Hawlucha - El Polloloco
Magnezone - Thunderballs
Serperior - Mr Slithers
Honchcrow - Draven
Dusclops - Fun Boy
Talonflame - T-Bird (I have a thing for The Crow)
Bouffalant - Afro Thunder
Gastrodon - Slurms

Again, far too much time on my hands. I'll nickname everything I breed so it shows I have bred them and not just traded for them or hacked them. Skillz wot Killz and all that jazz.......

Tried to find clever names for the element monkeys (because if i absolutely have to have them for Dex completion, i might as well make them as "good" as possible).

As many will know, a sea monkey is a thing (a crustacean) and a hedge monkey is a thing (a person from certain "alternative" cultures/lifestyles). I was having trouble finding something appropriate for Pansear, so i made the tragic mistake of using Google. It seems blazing monkey is a website for classified/personal ads, but that's not all. A flaming monkey is either a drink with rum or a disturbing sex act. What was left of my innocence is destroyed. Seems appropriate given i have a milestone coming up. Be careful when looking for inspiration, it might slap you hard around the upside of the head.

I named my Lickitung Miley Cyrus.

And my Ninetales Ellie, because she reminds of Ellie Goulding. (The fire typing reminds of Burn, Ninetales is a blonde-ish colour, and she's blonde, and Ellie just seems foxish in general, hence my username.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail soon before playing Y, I named my Pokémon in Y after Knights of the Round Table. Lucario is King Arthur, Abomasnow is Sir Bedevere, Flygon is Sir Lancelot, Gengar is Sir Gallahad, and Blastoise is Sir Robin.

I named my Pidgeot "BirdJeezus" as a reference to Twitch Plays Pokémon, but now that I'm using him as my main mega in Omega Ruby, I wish I named him "Goku" instead (I mean,just LOOK at Mega Pidgeot's head crest)

in other names, I named my Litwick that I am trading to Omega Ruby "Soulfire," and I plan on renaming my Sneasel "Karen." Then, there is the fact that I am trying to breed a male Drought Vulpix, and I named a female Drought Vulpix "Not Fabby" (I plan on removing the "Not"), her nickname being a reference to MunchingOrange, I named my Orange Flower Florges "Orage" after the hilarious blunder that MO almost made when he started his Alpha Saphire Let's Play (he almost forgot the "n" in his name, and didn't realize it until Professor Birch said "So your name's Orage?")
First Shiny = RIPHeadphones
Eevee = EvolveMe
Seel = Seal
Dewgong = Dugong
Cinccino = Chinchilla
Gastly = Ghastly
Slowbro = Symbiosis
Spearow = Britney

Was your Gastly a male? If it was you should've named it "Rick"

Last edited by a moderator:
Naming my Ninetales Hinata. Hinata means Sunny Day in Japanese and she had the drought ability. She also was timid nature, which is similar to Hinata from the Naruto manga series.

I named both my SoulSilver Xatu and my Black 2 Sigilyph "Psychlone", stemming from both "psycho" for the Psychic-type and "cyclone" for the Flying-type. There also used to be a roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain called Psyclone, though it was a (really rough) clone of the Coney Island Cyclone.

I just completed X, and I named Xerneas "Celestia" because... come on, what else are you gonna name it?!

I have a few Pokemon named after Fire Emblem spells :p They each kinda make me think of the spells I named them after...

Talonflame ~ Arcfire. A straight shooting stream of fire.
Jolteon ~ Thoron. A fast and laser focused thunderbolt.
M. Camerupt ~ Bolganone. A volcanic eruption from beneath the enemy.
M. Charizard X ~ Valflame. A violent explosion of flames, and hella strong amongst Fire spells. Its easily my favorite one from the game, and I thought It'd be fitting to give it to my edgy, heavy hitting Fire starter.

Last edited:
in Alpha Sapphire, I'm nicknaming ALL my caught Pokemon (that I want to keep). Here's what I have so far:
Kalona the Marshtomp

Kyra the Mightyena

Faith the Archen

Fancy the Cosplay Pikachu

yeah, I don't have much, but I'll have more soon.

been naming EVERY one of my Pokemon in Omega Ruby (I stopped playing AS). Here they are!
Kyra- Marshtomp
Tyro- Beautifly
Shadow-Mightyena
Sunset-Latios
Destiny-Minun
Zoom-Electrike
Fancy-Cosplay Pikachu
Dot-Nuzleaf
Knight-Skarmory
Sandball-Sandshrew
Panda-Spinda
Fluffwing-Swablu
Finder-Linoone

that took a while!

After playing some SMITE recently, I have come up with some pretty good nicknames for some Pokemon...

Ah Muzen Cab (Beedrill)
Anubis (Lucario)
Ao Kuang (Kingdra)
Arachne (Ariados)
Bastet (Liepard)
Cabrakan (Tyranitar)
Chaac (Swampert)
Fenrir (Mightyena)
Geb (Torterra)
Hades (Gengar)
Hercules (Hawlucha)
Hun Batz (Ambipom)
Kumbhakarna (Snorlax)
Medusa (Arbok)
Nox (Chandelure)
Osiris (Cofagrigus)
Poseidon (Empoleon)
Ra (Talonflame)
Ratatoskr (Pachirisu)
Serqet (Drapion)
Sobek (Feraligatr)
Sun Wukong (Infernape)
Sylvanus (Sceptile)
Thor (Electivire)
Vulcan (Emboar)
Ymir (Aurorus)

none of my names are really that creative, but i have a few i'm proud of!

punchy, my raichu from ORAS that knows thunderpunch, for example!
and every swampert i ever raise is nicknamed perswam - as in a rearanged of "swampert" without the T. "pertswam" doesn't have that nice a ring afterall!

other than that i either give pokémon nicknames based on my original characters, names of characters in anime/other games or simply names that i like!

Aegislash = Excalibur

I had the same idea on my X version, too!

In other notes, there is

Sir Tango the male Gardevoir
Smogonory the Skarmory
Super-Peeko the Wingull
Planty the Venusaur,
Vunderpig the Mamoswine (that I caught with a really good nature)

I named my Gyarados:
Asian Carp. Because he's a carp. And he was designed in Asia. And like the real life Asian Carp, they wreak a lot of havoc if you let them loose

I also named my Claydol:
MyEyesHurt. Because Claydol looks like his eyes are in the most merciless agonizing pain ever. Like someone threw sulfuric acid in there or something.

I also named my Altaria chest hair because lol

Aegislash = Excalibur

I had the same idea on my X version, too!

In other notes, there is

Sir Tango the male Gardevoir
Smogonory the Skarmory
Super-Peeko the Wingull
Planty the Venusaur,
Vunderpig the Mamoswine (that I caught with a really good nature)

also Methuselah comes in mind. It would be cool to have more diffrent type of swords, shields and other objects as Pokemon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom