• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

This could take a while.

Twig (Sceptile M) - Obvious. :p
Sander (Flygon F) - Also obvious.
Whishcast (Whiscash F) - A baby, so this is how she says her name.
Electrinz (Pikachu M) - Because it sounded awesome. It is awesome.
Sy/Simon (Rhydon F/M) - Both come from Saidon/Sidon.
Waggy/Lily (Poliwhirl F) - Waggy was the only Poliwag I caught in Diamond, Lily should be obvious.
Nova (Staraptor F) - Nova means star...
Flare (Quilava M) - Hey, better than Flame...
Shake (Vigoroth F) - Earthquake is her signature move.

And finally:

QT (Poor unfortunate Raichu M) - I was ten, okay? ;_;

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Gyarados-M: Gyoza (I couldn't resist!)

^My friend has mentioned several times that the Red Gyarados looks like tempura.....

I go with whatever I think of at the time, though I let the legendaries have their original names.

Here are a few of the nicknames I bequeathed:

Mamoswine: Truffle... because it looks like one :3

Ampharos: Aries... because its pre-evos were sheep

Dragonair (I refuse to evolve it): Faerie... because the small white wings on its head reminds me of a fairy/faerie

Scizor: Peppermint... because I was strangely reminded of peppermint when I looked at its green Scyther form

Houndoom: Reaper... because of its awesome overall devilish appearance

AND MY FAVORITE *points to user name*
Munchlax (I also refuse to evolve it): Totoro... because it slightly resembles that big furry creature from Miyazaki Hayao's film, especially the ears

etc.

Also, when I went on a Slowpoke-catching frenzy in order to get a good Slowking and Slowbro, I named them all after tropical fruits!

...I seem to have a tendency to give my Pokemon food names.

Last edited:

Lol I give such bad nicknames. Anyway...
Red Gyarados-SuperRawr(Don't even ask)
-Ho-oh-Rainbow(That one's pretty obvious)
Spiky-eared Pichu-ChuChu(seemed fitting)
Meganium-Chika(I never bothered to rename it)
Fearow-Fear(Lol another boring name)
Rapidash-Gallop(It's a horse? idk)

^OMG color <3

Haha, I named my Ponyta "Starfire." I had a horse craze when I was a small kid, and I remember that a horse in this book was called Starfire. Then I called the Rapidash I caught at Mt. Silver "Dasher," ignoring the fact that it's a fire horse and not a fire reindeer.

Replaying my Sapphire and my team so far has the following nicknames

Electrike/Pulseman- Named after Pulseman from the old Game Freak game that was released on the Genesis. Been meaning to go back and play it ever since I downloaded it off the Wii Shop Channel

Tailow/Pepsi- It was blue, red, and white, and I was inspired to name it after the drink after reading a story that one of my friends showed me about a guy who friend named his Pokemon after drinks. IIt's fitting since the guy got a Pidgetto that was named Mr Pibb.

Sableye/Rusaem- Decided to name it after the three gems that are in the back of it, which I assumed to be a clever jab at how there's a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald version, so I just took the first two letter from each Hoenn game.

Torkoal/Venus- Since my Torkoal turned out to be a girl, I decided to name her Venus after the 5th TMNT that was created for The Next Mutation.

Breloom/Toadette- Once again, another female Pokemon and I decided to name her after the female toad that has been appearing in Mario games recently.

Marstomp/Daxdiv- Once again, I name my starter after my online name, nothing really special.

only give names to pokemon that deserve it and i wont normally name it but it write it with seals on the ball
empoleon= emporor
charizard does get rename to charbelio named after my good friend elio
gastrodon= slugz
rotom = romtom what i first though his name was stayed to piss off my friend
shaymin = shimsha only to piss same friend off further does sound cool though
shiny spinda named afer myself taran hack full stats pokerus
any male snorlax renamed to DanDan after my fat sleepy mexican friend dan he calls me munchlax

Also, I now have a cute little Eevee named Slo-Mo because it took FOREVER to hatch. Ya rly fr srs. o3o

I have a Swinub that I named William. He looked like a William. I also have an Eevee named Frederick, who I think I will make into an Umbreon. Frederick because when I think of Umbreon, I think of the black piggy in Monokuro Boo. I forget why that association exists in my mind. My Typhlosion's name is Fuu because that's the sound that fire makes. : D;; And as soon as I get an Onix, I shall name it Steve. Because all Onix are Steve to me.

All my Pokemon have nicknames (aaaaall of them), but not all of them really mean anything.

Nicknames for my current SoulSilver team-
Gengar/Scooby- because he's a G-G-GHOST!
Vaporeon/Simba- it just looks like a lion to me.
Feraligatr/Muhammed- I think it was a reference to the boxer?
Togetic/Moses- because my boyfriend had a togekiss named Jesus once.
Scizor- wasn't nicknamed because I got him in a trade :c
Meowth/ThatsRight- for obvious nostalgic reasons.

In Kanto I plan on replacing ThatsRight with an Electabuzz, but I haven't decided on a name for him yet.

One of the people I've battled on the 4th-Gen games has a Raichu I gave him named "Pika"

It used to signify awesomeness and now it signifies the first time I've conned someone.
Gosh, I love my Jirachi.

shaymin=S***min, we all know what the name is, lol.

I'll only give a few since if I gave ALL of my nicknames I'd be here all night.

Wavebeast (Blastoise) - I originally named my Blastoise in Pokemon Blue "Waterbeast", so this is just a slightly cooler (imo anyway) version of that name.
Hank (Golem) - One day I decided that Hank would be a good name for a Golem.
Jolt (Jolteon) - Fairly obvious.
Lee (Hitmonlee) - Dual reference to Hitmonlee as well as it's namesake Bruce Lee.
Pillow (Mamoswine) - Reference to Mamoswine's precursor Piloswine as well as the fact that Mamoswine is even bigger and fluffier.
Safari (Oddish) - In Sapphire's Safari Zone, I accidentally ended up catching a lot of Oddish because of impatiently tapping the A button. The nickname is to remind me not to do any stupid button presses.

I occasionally nickname my Pokemon, like my Dragonite, DRAGONGUY and my Garchomp, CHEAPO

My Electrode's name is Podium. I have no reason why.
My Porygon-Z's nickname is Porygon-G. Do you know what the "G" stands for? GOOSEBERRIES. Why gooseberries? Because i love tangelos. I am Serious.

I really am very sad when I nickname.
In short, every pokemon is nicknamed, including legendaries. Even duplicates get different names.
This is because individual pokemon are species. It would be like calling your dog 'dog!'
Generally, they are named with two characteristics about them fused, or with certain legends, use of foreign language (mostly german) homages to their original name (like Ho-oh's nickname is a pallindrome) or even personal names. For legendary trio's, there is a theme amongst their names. If you wanted me to list the names of all my pokemon, we'd be here forever. So I'll just give my teams.

FireRed:
Venusaur: Paelornus (Paeleontology and Venus)
Primeape: Bravryape (Brave Ape)
Farfetch'd: Ch'ding (other trainer)
Eevee: Genthunda (Genetic Thunder)
Dugtrio: Burrodrei (Burrow Three)
Arcanine: Eruptanine (Eruption canine)

Sapphire:
Swellow: Courollow (Courageous Swallow)
Gardevoir: Pselegance (Psychic Elegance)
Manectric: Raimectric (Raibolt/Electric)
Masquerain: Insectarae (Insect/Masquerade)
Combusken: Whagiddo (Whack Megiddo)
Lombre: Somflaqua (Sombrero Aqua)

I think that'll do, I might list my other teams later.

In PMD Sky, I named Grimer "Evan" after Parody Rangers' Evan Splooge.

My nicknames are usually based on average human names or whatever seems fit. 10 yrs after Crystal, I still use the same ones eg.: Andy for a male Chikorita, Tyler for a male togepi, etc.

Newer pokemon are harder. So Giratina is now Sauron because he reminded me of Lord of the Rings for some reason...lol.

My team right now is

Empoleon Female (Hannah)- No reason

Togekiss Male (Tyler)-No reason

Steelix Male (Onox)- Because I thought of the boss Onox from LofZ:Oracle of Seasons

Luxray Male (Simba)- I think you can figure that out

Leafeon Male (Mikey)- No reason

Houndoom Female (Lacy)- Named for my dog that recently passed away.

Had a Crobat name Lucy after the vampire from Dracula but I traded her.

I also have a habit of naming my male Piplups Squishie. Probably b/c they're just so cute. :kawaii:

Personly i always give pokemon nicknames
I called my cyndaquil hunter, mainly because tyhsplosion looks like one.
Amphraos is called Jade, from a book.
A leafeon name is Sally, and i don't know why!

I recently named a Trapinch I got in PMD2 "BITCH". I must not have really liked it at the time.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom