• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

I knew a guy who nicknamed his Empoleon " J. Stalin", his Tropius "Fidel C." and his Spinda "Mao Z."

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

After restarting platinum the other day, this is my team...

Crobat- Iroh (Named after Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender, hahaha)
Prinplup- Dax (DAH-CKS Kind of an inside joke i guess)
Houndoom- Han (An OC I often use, hes german!)
Gallade- Celest (10 points to whoever gets that reference)
Luxray- Diego (From Ice Age)
Gabite- Omni (Really don't know why, it was an option in my 3ds max software :p)

Last edited:

this is my heartgold team:
Typhlosion(m) called Singe
Kanghaskan called Kanga... i know imaginative name.
Dragonair(f) called Elegance
Honchkrow(f) called Morgana. iv been watching merlin lately. :p
Nidoking called Nick
Zangoose (f) called Tosaka. Shes my fav character from Fate/stay night.
Mightyena(f) called Shenzi from the lion king. ^^
Manectric (f) called Mandy
And a Voltorb called Amperes. Im an electrical apprentice.:banana:

I name my Pokemon after what their actual name is, like
Budew- Greenie
Shroomish-Shrooms(approved by official nickname rater in Sinnoh!)
Hoppip-Cute

other times i just write their names in lowercase letters(LAME!)
SHINX- Shinx
ROSELIA- Roselia
ARTICUNO-Articuno

only my elites are nicknamed.

Jonteir-Typhlosion
Grace-Skarmory
Jackario-Blastoise
Markani-Lucario
Fravir-Gallade
and my prized pokemon
Saratonia-Gardevoir. Saratonia means Beautiful Princess :3

ohwow! Those do seem like complicated nicknames! X)
Mine are much simpler. But I'm glad to see someone who puts thought into naming their Pokemon.
Usually, I name my Pokemon whatever name comes to mind, and build their personality off of that name.

I name my pokemon other differebt types of pokemon
Psyduck- Abra
Togekiss- Psyduck
Fearaligatr- Craniados
Poliwhirl- Arbok

I have a long list of Pokémon with nicknames... (I could benefit from some training time to get a lot of these guys up to 100). The names are all in uppercase in-game.

Blastoise - Dominic (Possibly from a character in Megatokyo, don't really remember)
Ninetales - Mozilla (Get it? Firefox? Okay, quit throwing things)
Persian - Lucas (No definite origin to this one)
Magneton - Ziodyne (from the spell in Persona 3)
Marowak - Gospel (from Bass' support character in Megaman, also appropriate for the species)
Hitmonlee - Kiyo (from the Karate King of Mt. Mortar)
Starmie - Rayne (corruption of "rain", spelling from the Firefly character Jayne)
Vaporeon - Mist (a water-based name)
Jolteon - Sanae (from a character in CLANNAD)
Kabutops - Lynn (from a character in Fire Emblem)
Snorlax - Nayuki (from a character in Kanon)
Dragonair - Serenity (from the ship in Firefly)
Meganium - Koizumi (from a character in the Suzumiya Haruhi series)
Typhlosion - Kaoruko (from a character in the Pokémon anime)
Furret - Kiera (from a character in Jak & Daxter)
Ampharos - Blitz (an electric-sounding name)
Espeon - Simon (from a character in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Umbreon - Tomoya (from a character in CLANNAD)
Steelix - Titan (massive species...)
Scizor - Magnum (from a type of ammunition/weaponry)
Mantine - Kite (from the Pokédex's designation as "Kite Pokémon")
Blaziken - Torch (a fire-based name)
Mightyena - Jenny (from a real-life friend)
Swellow - Yuuko (from a character in ef - A Tale of the Two)
Gardevoir - L'nari (from the alias of a previous 'net friend)
Slaking - DK (Donkey Kong. 'nuff said.)
Delcatty - Kyra Lynn (named by a friend)
Aggron - Maiza (from a character in Baccano!)
Sharpedo - Owen (named by a friend)
Camerupt - Camden (named by a friend)
Spinda - KumaKuma ("Kuma" being roughly Japanese for "bear)
Flygon - Melody (supposedly the species makes music with its wing beats)
Absol - Shadow (a name befitting a dark-type)
Metang - Vector (a tech-sounding name)
Metagross - Hitomi (from the character in the 7th Pokémon Movie)
Torterra - Gaia (Greek goddess of earth)
Empoleon - Ted (from the penguin character in Ctrl+Alt+Del)
Bronzor - Izzy (from a character in the Digimon anime)
Lucario - Rei (from a character in Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Weavile - Saul (from a biblical Pharisee and persecutor-turned-prophet)
Electivire - Buzz (an electric-sounding name)
Leafeon - Yutaka (from a minor character in Megatokyo)
Rotom - Amp (from an electrical device)
Gallade - Inigo (from the character in The Princess Bride)

And many more to come. If it counts, I intend on using a team of three when I get White version and naming them after the three biblical Wise Men (Balthazar, Melchior and Casper)

Last edited:

Ninetales - Mozilla (Get it? Firefox? Okay, quit throwing things)

^This one is full of awesomeness :lol:

Wow, you're already thinking ahead into your Fifth Gen team.

~My Suicune is Unibrow. :3
~Gengar is King Boo.
~Gligar is Jabberwock.
~Mamoswine is Popo. It's named after a herbivore from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which I think looks like it (Popo: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100412060808/monsterhunter/images/a/af/Popo-Compare.png and Mamoswine: http://pokedream.com/pokerep/images/sugimori/473.jpg ...see the resemblance? hehe)
~Ampharos is Balbriggan, which is by definition: A fine cotton mainly used for underwear.
~A Miltank named Bodewash (means cow dung >_<)
... there are more but I'll stop there for now. ^.^

I always name the Pokemon I use on my main team after the Japanese name of that Pokemon or the Japanese name of something in it's evolutionary family, for example, my HeartGold team:

Rashi(F)-Typhlosion
Ozuku(F)-Noctowl
Moko(F)-Ampharos
Nouh(F)-Quagsire
Eifie(F)-Espeon

Every other Pokemon I catch just gets a completely random nickname.

My first party:
Typhlosion- Pyrous- Cross b/w "pyro" and "nitrous"
Espeon- Solaris- refers to the root "solar" meaning sun.
Lugia- Aerodemon- My fav pkmn and this nickname has no meaning behind it.
Gyarados- Oblivion- Meaning total ownage and annihilation.

My only well thought up team was in Platinum; now, in SS, I'm just using alliteration. I do not want a Xatu. Or a Quilava.

Gallade, Szabla.
Scyther, Karabela. (Both swords.)
Luxray, Raymond. (Just... A name?)
Infernape, Cocoa. (Like the breakfast monkey, but female.)
And the best:
Garchomp, Nibbles. (So ironic. And you should see him in Outrage!)
Giratina, Teeny. (Aww... I think it gets mad when I call it that.)

My favorite names i've given pokemon so far:

Ajax: a Metagross in Platinum
Odysseus: an Ampharos from my SS team
Omlet: a Togekiss from my SS team
Falkor: a Dragonite in Platinum (Falkor is the name of a luckdragon from the novel The Neverending Story)

Does anyone know if there is a nickname generator kind of thing? B'cus I can't find anything.

well, i've named alot of pokes in my time (i even went thru my PkmnXD:GoD file and named every pokemon on there to pass some time o_O) but the only one that i can think of that afterwards made me feel like "oh wow, thats a really great name! 8D" was on my Platinum file where i named my Piplup (Empoleon) Aquality.

why?
Aqua: because piplups a water type :p
and i merged that with "equality". only because it seemed to fit well lol and i just thought that Aquality sounded unique and fun :3

I have a few names through my many pokemon games/related.
Arcanine/Ninetales= Byakko, Nanaki
Ampharos= Ren, Rin, Iris
Typhlosion/Infernape= Renji, Ichigo
Blastoise/Empoleon= Spryte, Vincent, Vance
Dragonite= Crodechild, Dragoon
Garchomp= ChainChomp, Zelle
Pikachu= Pooka, Pocki
Raichu= Kiba, Zhap
Rhyperior= Geoff, Granlon
Noctowl/Staraptor= Zephyr, Velcon
Vaporeon= Yume, Zaphire, Vapor
Flareon= Firion, Rhiley
Jolteon= Surge, Volx
And many more...o__o;

I always name Vulpix and Ninetales after Chizuru Minamoto from Kanokon. Unless it's male, then I don't love it as much and don't nickname it after an ultra-hot kitsune spirit from an ecchi manga.

...Wait, wut?

Just going to list my SS pokemon

Rattata - Rabies [it totally has them!]

Ekans - Stryker [The brand of paintballs i use, and their mascot is a cobra...I figure it's gonna be an arbok eventually]

Nidoran F - Venus [The Greek god of beauty]

Nidoran M - Ares [The Greek god of war]

Togepi - Speckle [When it hatched, I couldn't think of anything better...]

Koffing - Fartardo [Just laugh. you know you want to.]

Meowth - Nyan [Japanese version of meow]

Sudowoodo - Turd [ I hate sudowoodo and it looks like a turd. One of my least favorite pokemon ever]

Swinub - Dinner [love me some bacon!]

Flaffy - Orba [Inspired by the orb on her tail. If it were a male, I'd name it Orbos]

Eevee - Oracle [Gonna evolve it into an espeon. i came up with it because I was looking around, and looked at the zelda oracle games]

Electrode - Nade [3 frags left!]

Krabby - Krusty [Ar ar ar ar ar! MONEY!]

Hoothoot - kaepora [*cue zelda get noise*]

Lugia - Excalibur [If you don't know what excalibur is, ima smack you]

Haunter - Duplis [Named after the Paper Mario 2 character]

Feraligatr - Fraggle [kinda sounds like an old person trying to say feraligatr, and while funny, it's also kinda cute.]

Poliwag - Mr.T [Gonna evolve it to poliwrath, and get another named Chuck Norris, and make that one a politoad...then double battle!]

Gyarados - Levii [Shortened "leviathan". Levi sounded like the jeans. If it were male, I'm name it crimson, cus it's shiny.]

Vulpix - Hestia [Greek fire god]

well, i've named alot of pokes in my time (i even went thru my PkmnXD:GoD file and named every pokemon on there to pass some time o_O) but the only one that i can think of that afterwards made me feel like "oh wow, thats a really great name! 8D" was on my Platinum file where i named my Piplup (Empoleon) Aquality.

why?
Aqua: because piplups a water type :p
and i merged that with "equality". only because it seemed to fit well lol and i just thought that Aquality sounded unique and fun :3

Hah, I usually just name my Piplup Mr.Bluu or Bubble D: And do you know how to connect with someone after you've registered them in your Pal Pad? Like, if it's Wi-Fi?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom