• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Torterra= Conifer (Like a coniferous tree, like the one on his back.)
Gliscor= Scorpio (The constellation is a scorpion, Gliscor is a flying scorpion.)
Rotom= Plasma (He's the plasma pokemon.)
Porygon-Z= Beta (Beta is like unfinished programming, his programming doesn't work quite right.)
Charizard= Crimson (Crimson is red. So is Charizard. And fire.)
>Update. I don't use my Krabby, but I named him Delicious. 'Cause crab tastes out of this world.

Last edited:
Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

On the Crystal game that started over on me, I had:
A cyndaquil named Hestia
A Pidgey named Zephryos
A Caterpie named Adonis
And a Rattatta named Ares.

They're named after greek mythological figures :3

I tend to theme name now, at least at first. Then I forget about it and name a Pidgey Cheepcheep when I have a Freya, Mjollnir, and Ratatosk in the same party. (All are names from Norse mythology--Ratatosk is a squirrel, Mjollnir is Thor's hammer (the character was named Thor, incidentally), and Freya is a goddess.)

I can't remember most of the names right now, I nickname too many of my Pokemon. I do know that I named a female Drifloon Pedoloon, and all female Weedle must be named Napoleon. No exceptions.

I had a shiny chikorita before (in crystal) and named it "Autumn" because the leaf's color is yellow/gold. And whenever I have a flying pokemon, I always name it "Twitter".

My Pidgeot is named Makani, it's Hawaiian for wind or air movement :D

I recently restarted my HG, here goes:

Quilava: Charbon (French for Coal)
Palkia: Avaruus (Finnish for Space)
Sandslash: Souris (French, I think, for Mouse)
Togekiss: Heureux (French for Happy)

I used Google Translate! Yays!

I call my female Togekiss Lady Luck,
and my Shiny Forretress Mr Shiny Man.

In my playthrough of Emerald, I gave all my Pokemon Vocaloid names.
Akita the Combusken
Miku the Taillow
Luka the Ralts
Kaito the Marshtomp
Haku the Aron
Rin the Electrike

Got SoulSilver on Saturday, started playing it yesterday afternoon.
So far:

Chikorita - Natsu.
Mareep - Hikaru.

:)

Well basically I was naming and picking everything the opposite of my lady friend She named her character Silver I named mine Gold She named her Cyndaquill Flamex I named my Totadile Hydrex(sounds kinda like an energy drink >A>;;)

In my Platinum game:

Dialga: CrappyPoke
Palkia: MyBroSUCKS

Seriously. Every time I've used that dimented reindeer, it died in one hit.

I generally just give my Pokemon regular first names I like that start with the same few letters of their species name (like my Pelipper, caught as a Wingull, is named Wilhelm). But sometimes I try to choose something more specific to that Pokemon.

For example, my Kecleon is named "Zelig." I'm a huge fan of Woody Allen movies, so how could I name a chameleon Pokemon anything else?

I need a female Glaceon, you can't name a Male "Miku" and get away with it.

I also have GOLIATH the Venusaur in my SoulSilver. :p

Nidoking, Bane: Thesaurus returned Bane as a synonym for poison; also, in Golden Sun one of the earth djinn was called Bane. He could poison upon unleashing, so I went with that name.

Typhlosion, Typhoeus: Many-headed fire-breathing beast of Greek myth. I also believe Typhlo's name to be based off of the myth's.

Kingdra, Arion: A stallion, son of Poseidon. Seemed fitting.

Dragonite, Vivian: I didn't know what to name her until after she evolved to the final stage. It's the one I got from the Master, so I wanted her name to mean something like "overcoming challenges", and the closest I found was Victoria. On the same page I found that name was Vivian, "full of life". Since that one trainer in Blackthorn Gym says dragons are full of life energy...

And although I don't use it, I named the red Gyarados Asmodeus. A demon personifying wrath seems appropriate for a red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage. At least to me.

Those are the names I put the most thought into. I named the team on one playthrough of LeafGreen after Golden Sun summons:

Nidoqueen, Azul
Blastoise, Neptune
Pidgeot, Procne
Alakazam, Ulises
Golem, Ramses

I have a Dratini named Eclipse, after the GS summon, also; it was going to be a Dragonite but I forgot about that project. It's partner, a Bagon named Adremalech, after the FF totema, which I seem to have lost. Not sure how.

A few other names:

Bulbasaur, Rose (use her to breed Petal Dancing Bulba's)
Butterfree, Gail (I think i might have released her, though)
Arcanine, Kirin, never used him, though
Noctowl, Nevermore
Magcargo, Maggie (just for the hell of it)
Linoone, Snuffles (lol. used him as my "starter" in that playthrough)
Gardevoir, FairyQueen (one of my oldest Pokémon)
Aggron, Bladebiter
Seviper, Lilith
Kricketune, Requiem
Pachirisu, Patchy

Azelf- Shadow
Empoleon- Pingu
Blissey- Pinky
Giratina- Giant
Smeargle- Tactic
Aerodactyl- Terry :ksmile:
I Guess there is no meaning :p

Here's a few of mine, most of them are because I'm a science/mythology lover, though. c;

Drifblim - Verdigris (Verdigris is the most commonly used name for the green pigment copper gets after acetic acid is applied to it. You probably know it as when your pennies go green.)
Gengar - Ares (Ares is the mythological God of War.)
Nidoking - Orcus (Orcus is the mythological God of the Underworld.)
Suicune - Psuedechis (Genus for the Black Snake.)
Ambipom - Eleanor (After Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles. <3)
Ursaring - Tango (Tango from Ghost Hunters, plus that's what I used to call one of my best friends.)
Torterra - Geb (Geb is the Egyptian God of the Earth.)
Scizor - Bruski (Beer. lD)

And then pretty much everyone else is named after my personal characters. P;

EDIT:
Current team in FireRed run:

Ivysaur - (chocolate) Rain (teehee)
Mankey - Tea (I was thirsty P;)
Shiny Zubat - Nias (named after my lower-level demon character; was found in Rock Tunnel <3)
Growlithe - King Rat (after the song by Modest Mouse)
Fearow - Magic (Johnson)
Nidorino - Organ (don't look into that one too deeply... >D)

Last edited:

My MMPR-themed Team for Shoddy
Tyranitar-Jason
Bastiodon-Billy
Aerodactyl-Kimberly
Mamoswine-Zack
Persian-Trini
Dragonite-Tommy

Heartgold nicknames:
main team
Ty (Typhlosion) - not very creative
Mr. Owl (Noctowl) - the tootsie roll pop commercial
Beacon (Ampharos) - it's used like that at the olivine lighthouse
w00t (Quagsire) - "w00t" sounds like wooper
S'winter (Mamoswine) - Phineas and Ferb episode; it's winter in summer

other pokemon
Uh-oh! (Ho-oh)
Luigi (Lugia)
ZZzzz... (Snorlax)
Red (red Gyarados)

(Note: I started the entire game over on 9/19/2010)

Last edited:

Naming is one of my favorite things. I probably shouldn't list everything I've ever come up with, though, so I'll try to pick some favorites:

Rufus the Typhlosion (Silver) - Rufus means "red-haired," which kinda works for a fire-type. I just really reaaaally like that name, though. It feels very fitting for this particular Pokemon.

Lucio the Mightyena (Sapphire) - It means "light," so it's not a very accurate name. It's actually based on another character named Lucio who would definitely be a Mightyena if he were a Pokemon.

Rio the Feraligatr (HG) - "Rio" is Spanish for river, so there's that. I also just like the name in general (for a boy).

Adagio the Slowking (HG) - This is a musical term that indicates a slow tempo. It's not the slowest marking, but it's the best term to use as a name.

Virgil the Arcanine (HG) - In Dante's "The Inferno" poem, he is guided through Hell by the Roman poet Virgil. I like how this name has both loyal and fiery connotations.

Mars the Tyranitar (HG) - Mars is the Roman god of war. That kind of works out, but I mostly just love that name for this Pokemon.

Ezio the Pidgeot (various) - Means "eagle," so again, it's not that accurate. Still, works best on the Pidgey family, rather than something like Spearow or Starly.

Niluk the Abra (various) - I have no idea what this means. There was a TA in my math class named Niluk and I really liked how it sounds. For some reason an Indian name seems very suitable for an Abra.

Charlemane the Charizard (various) - Named after the first Holy Roman Emperor, Charlemagne. Mostly just because of the first four letters. (Also, the nickname character limit forces the misspelling. Wah).

Ponyboy the Ponyta (various) - Basically, whenever I catch a male Ponyta, I name him after the main character from S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders." There is no other name.

i've notieced someting, a TON of people name their pokemon after Greek/roman gods

if i see one more "Mars" or "Zues" i will scream

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom