• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

i've notieced someting, a TON of people name their pokemon after Greek/roman gods

if i see one more "Mars" or "Zues" i will scream

I don't really see anyone naming anything, haha. I just play by myself most of the time.

I think the names of gods are pretty fitting for certain Pokemon, like the more powerful ones. My Rhyperior is Athena. :/

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Gyarados- Pookie & Kitty (Kitty's the red one. She's Pookie's girlfriend.)
Meganium- Arram
Ampharos- Neville
Geodude- Melba (I thought it was amusing. I rarely use her but right now I'm training her to be a Graveler because I think a Golem named Melba will be even funnier.)
Espeon- Silas (was supposed to be an Umbreon but REFUSED to evolve at night. At 8:30 PM he became an Espeon and after about four tries I decided to let him stay that way.)
Umbreon- Hector

Strangely enough, I never nickname my legendaries. (They're about the only ones I don't nickname.) 'Cause they already have names! *rimshot*

Feraligatr - CHOMPSKY - After Noam Chomsky (my girlfriend's favourite linguist and one of the world's best living thinkers) and he bites things, hence the "chomp"...

Ampharos - JACQUELINE - I just like the name and the amount of times I've yelled "C'mon Jackie! YOU CAN DO IT! YEEEEESSSS!!!" in my house has caused many a strange look.

Gengar - YORICK - "Alas, poor Yorick!" Yeah, he's supposed to be a ghost and Hamlet's Yorick is dead...

Espeon - HENDRIX - I was going to evolve Hendrix the Eevee into a Flareon (Because Jimi had a awesome song called "Fire") but he obviously had other plans. So now he's an accidental Espeon that kicks ass.

Ho-Oh - FENRIS - After Fenris the Feared in the Joe Abercrombie series. Because he was a bastard to catch because he'd kill my team rather than stay in the gorram pokeball I named him after the most scary evil guy in the books. My Lugia is called LOGAN, btw...

Metagross - SAURON - After the Lord of the Rings' bad guy. Beldum's one red eye made me think of it.

Other noteable names: POOKIE for my Tyranitar (Cause he's cuddly under all that rage), HERBERT for my Bulbasaur (Fallout 3, anyone?) and BESS for my Wobbafett after the Golem in "Redemption Falls", a really cool steampunky book I can highly reccommend.

i was 14 when i made all these, don't ask, i just felt so happy when i gave them these names

lvl 100 metapod- metagod or megapod
mewtwo- mr. grumpy
dragonite- OMG PONIES (don't ask)
articuno- BRRRRRRRD (Get It?)
moltres- kfc
primape- Big Monkeh
scyther- slicey

My teams.

250.gif
-Heart Gold-
250.png

Old Team

Bakufun the Typhlosion - Bakufun is the Japanese name for Typhlosion that I decided to name my Cyndaquil after since Chuggaaconroy named his Totodile "Odairu"

Furil the Bellossom - Nintendo Puzzle Collection much?

Haru (Should have named him Haru Glory, but whatever) the Nidoking - Haru must be one of my favorite Anime characters and my most favorite in Rave Master.

Soul Master (Could have named him Soul Edge, but whatever) the Scizor - Can't tell...

Neiteio the Xatu - Named my Natu after the Japanese name of Xatu.

Leviathan the Gyarados - Here's one good reason!

RubyMini.png
Migrated from Ruby
383.gif

Flint the Rhyperior - Flint looks badass with a cowboy hat in Mother 3.

Panties the Bellossom - No comment right there. Stupidest name ever.

Momoko the Milotic - Got this off of the arcade called Momoko 120%.

Tellah the Alakazam - Tellah is my most favorite mage character in the Final Fantasy universe. He knows both White magic and Black Magic.

Big Core the Absol - Gradius. Gotta love it!

FlameChocobo the Blaziken - Decided to name my Torchic after myself since Blaziken's my most favorite out of all. The name I've given it is my signature username that I've had for about 5 years ago.

249.gif
-Soul Silver-
249.png

Old Teams

Meganium the Meganium - Same with Cyndaquil.

Valerie the Sableye - Had to name her that since she's female.

Bowser the Magmortar - Favorite antagonist of the Mario series.

Thunder the Jolteon - Had to name him that since its his Japanese name without an s.

Elena the Lapras - Favorite female character of Grandia 2.

Metallica the Skarmory - Had to name him after a band.

SapphireMini.png
Migrated from Sapphire
382.gif

JB303 the Skarmory - Couldn't think of a better name, so I had to name him that.

Rosa the Roserade - My most favorite Female character in Final Fantasy universe.

Kagome the Ninetales - Had to name her after one of the characters from InuYasha

Konata the Gardevoir - Konata Izumi's my favorite character in Lucky Star.

Arnold the Machamp - Arnold Schwarzenegger. Who doesn't love him.

Derp the Swampert - Who not liek mudkipz?

I just do research and decide what nicknames would be good for my planned-out team. I barely ever theme the nicknames. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni theme for FireRed, and that's it.

Chants the Absol
I don't know, it seemed fitting. I also realized that it's name sounds a lot like Chance, which is fitting for its ability - Super Luck.

Magangarde the Gardevoir
Magna + Garde = Magnagarde. I thought that this was the coolest combination of any two words ever, plus it's fitting for a Gardevoir.

Rapture the Miltoic
Eh, it's better than Felicity.

Powerhaus the Gyarados
Everything is cooler auf deutsch.

Shawty the Trapinch
I don't know Shawty is an uncommon nickname, so.

Lupine 99 the Growlithe
Lupine means dog or wolf like, and 99 was the year I got Yellow. It rhymes, too.

In my LeafGreen:
Gloom- Disco (Oddish's Pokedex entry says it likes to move at night)
Wartortle- Hydro (Self-Explanatory)
Hitmonlee- Bruce (Bruce Lee)
Flareon- Inferno (Self-Explanatory)
Snorlax- Slammo (It knows Body Slam)
Duduo- Carlos (I was watching The Hangover :-/)

Pearl Team:

Empoleon: Ice Blade
Doesn't mean anything, I just named it after a move I found on it's card XD.
Charizard: Firebolt
Again, doesn't mean anything, just made it up.
Palkia: Pearlgia
Well.... It's its Korean name...
Rentorar: Luxray
It's a combination of Roentgen, the physicist who discovered X-rays, and tora, Japanese for tiger
Mukuhawk: Staraptor
It is derived from mukudori, Japanese for gray starling, and hawk.
Whaloh: Wailord
Whaloh is probably a combination of whale and 王 ō, king

I recently went on an Abra catching spree to get an adamant one to catch Rayquaza in Emerald (synchronize nature passing stuff). The first one I caught I named juice box and then I caught another one to breed with juice box (who was female), and named him toaster.

On HGSS

Staraptor: Starscream
It sounds a lot like his regular name and I loved transformers as a kid

Shiny Venomoth: Blue
Named after the color and the Perfect Circle song

Starmie: Patrick
Named after Patrick Star from Spongebob

Kingdra: Poseidon
Obvious nickname

Magmortar: Firaga
From the Final Fantasy spell

Gyarados: Mushu
From the dragon in Mulan

Shiny Machamp: The Hulk
Obvious nickname again

On my Soul Silver game:

Ninetales- Arwen (From Lord of the Rings)
Crobat- Tony (Tony Dinozzo off of NCIS)
Red Gyrados- Mythica(I just liked it.)
Meganium- Neo (Based off of a friend's RP character)
Espeon- Evelyn (no explaination.)
Raikou- Raikou (his name is cool enough.)

On Heart Gold game:
Typhlosion- Halo(It just came to me)
Espeon- Octavia(Made up the name)
Fearow- Riku (from Kingdom Hearts)
Ampharos- Bolt Storm (took bolt from Thunderbolt and storm from thunderstorm)
Lapras- Sea Breeze (made it up)
Dragonair- Jasper (from the Twilight Series)
Mantine- Wingdings (I just think its epic!):lol:
Farfetch'd- Hetcharf(rearranged the words around. missing an F and a d.)
Gligar- Jatingo(made up name)
Tauros- Tantrum (self-explanatory)
Pinsir- Killa(No explainaton)
Red Gyrados- Oni Giri(based off the attack Roronoa Zoro uses)

I'll probably think of more later.

current ruby run
Chan the Grovyle- traditon, mainly, all my startes (cept empoleon) have been grass, and all have been a 4 or less name that starts with C
Flynt the poochyena - i was playing a ton of borderlands, me and my freind just got to baron flynt, when you fight him, the camera zooms in on him, he spits out his cigarate, and it says Baron Flynt (It's medicinal!)
Valdof the Zigzagoon - Again, borderlands, Valdof is my favorite weapons manufaturar in borderlands, and remember, Valdof! You don't need to be a better shot, you just need to shoot more bulltes!
Grape the tentacool - well, i was lost on this, i was currently on a chatroom disscussing a game of werewolf, and i asked them for ideas, no one had one, so i was gonna go with borderlands again and name it "Dr.Zed" but someone chimed in "Name it Grape!"
Gallalu the Wismur - I was listeneing to bohemian rhapsody (aka, the best song in the world) and i figured "Song. sound pokemon. I KNOW! I'LL USE THE SONG TO NAME IT!"
Kupo the aron - i've loved the aron line since my first 3erd gen game, then i started remembering the late 90s for some reason, and thought about nickelodon, and rememberd they had shows animated by "Klaspy Kupo"

In my SoulSilver party I have;

Eevee; Akuma (Devil/demon in Japanese) I plan on evolving it into an Umbreon, and I had an awesome Umbreon in an rp once that was combined with a Houndoom. I had to keep it~ x3
Weepinbell; Kusa (grass in Japanese) Just being lazy
Pidgeotto; Tsubasa (wing in Japanese) default name for at least one bird Pokemon per game.
Kadabara; Suzushii (cool in Japanese) I was at a loss, and I wanted something cool. Then I found this in my dictionary while looking up sparrow.
Gyarados; Rippa (admirable/respected in Japanese) I got it as a Magikarp, and I normally don't give it interesting nicknames, usually I just call it Blue or something mean. But this time round I wanted it to feel loved, cause it CAN feel ya know xD, so I gave it a cool nickname~
Quilava; Sakera (Shortened version of Sakerarenai which means unavoidable in Japanese) I made an anime character with the same first name, last name Hatsukoi which means first love, and I wanted something cool for my starter^^

Can ya tell I like Japanese? x3 I have lots more, but I'm feeling lazy. So all you get as extras is my Platinum party. I just started so I only have four...

Piplup; Rinne (a manga character from Rumiko Takahashi's new manga, Rin-ne) I like the name and I was sick of using the names I normally use.
Shinx; Damashi (another character of mine who's name means deception) He's the main protagonist in my story, nd I could see him being a Luxray x3
Starly; Tsubame (Japanese for swallow -the bird-) Didn't wanna use Tsubasa again.
Bidoof; Kirei (beautiful/pretty in Japnese) Another Pokemon who gets the short end of the nickname stick... So I searched out female and gave her a nice name for once^^

Well Duduo died, so now I have Skyscream the Aerodactyl. (I'm doing a Nuzlocke Challenge)

let's see, my old platinum team had some good nicknames IMO
infernape-Louie (the ape king, jungle book reference)
Floatzel- Riki (riki-tiki-tavi thing goin on)
Raichu- Sparky (i always name my pikachu Sparky)
Staraptor- Falcon (dunno, just liked it)
Torterra- Titan (because he's a big ass mofo)
Gallade- Jet (Jet Li reference)

I've got a bunch of nicknames, but I'll sort 'em by game:

Yellow
Pikachu:Hamtaro(I was watching it at the time)
Charizard:Rawr(Dragon/dinosaur term for "I love you")
Venusaur:Earthbound(He reminded me of the Territorial Oak)
Blastoise:Zero(Character in a fanfic who used two revolvers)
Pidgeot:Airetam("Materia" backwards, from FFVII, sounded like a good name)
Meowth:Buddy(Named after my oldest cat)

Gold
Food-themed Party:
Typhlosion:Skittles
Jumpluff:Saladball
Pikachu:Coca-Cola
Azumarill:Root-Beer
Furret:Choclate
Rapidash:BBQRibs
Other Names
Ho-Oh:Aether(Reminded me of Ike)
Lugia:Kuja(From FFIX, the eye-guard-things somehow reminded me of him)
Houndoom:OMGWTFBBQ(I was shocked when I found him and the sprite breathes fire.)
Delibird:SantaClaus('Nuff said)
Skarmory:KillTech(He's a metal bird of prey, nuff'said)
Smeargle:OptmusPrim(I taught him Transform, and Rollout)
Mewtwo:psycho(Ripped off of TTE, sorry)
Mew:Mewmew(Unoriginal, it was 11:45.Also based off of Tokyo Mew Mew)
Corsola:Seashell(I thought coral was a type of seashell, facepalm)
Entei:Trevor(Cousin who got me into Pokemon, he had Pokemon Red.)
Raikou:Grayson(Other cousin, had Pokemon Yellow.)
Suicune:Donny(Third cousin, had Pokemon Blue.)

That's all for now.

My Diamond team is named this:

Infernape: Barry, because it sounds tough, and he's part fighting after all.
Luxray: Erik. No meaning here, but I think it fits a cat.
Bibarel: Karen. Only female in my team, and that's the only female name that popped into my head.
Staraptor: Flynn. Because it sounds cool, and it has fly in the name.
Graveler: Brock. Brock. Rock. Heh.
Barboach: Daniel. Named after a friend of mine who was a star swimmer. He moved away recently.

SoulSilver team is named this:

Typhlosion: Aaron. Named after my boyfriend.
Goldeen: Whoopi. Because I always thought Goldeen sounded black in the anime, I named her after Whoopi Goldberg.
Pidgey: Cedric. Sounds like an aviator's name to me.
Glaceon: Got her off of GT, so I can't rename her at all. If I could, she would be Siv, named after the Northern Kingdoms' queen in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.

I just recently got SS, so I don't have a fully developed "team" yet.

Last edited:

Windows7 the Porygon-Z

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom