• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

I added a new name theme for my HG. All my loved team members that I can name will be called something+taro. So far I've got:

Psytaro(Eevee, hopin' to evolve into Espeon)
Chibitaro(Quilava)
Treetaro(Turtwig)
Yoketaro(Togepi)
Mimetaro(Sudowoodo)

I'm trying to find a Sentret to name either "Sentaro" or "Raccotaro". I'm too lazy to bike all the way back to New Bark and they never show up on my Pokewalker. Anyway, whih name do you guys think is better?

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

In my SS this is my team, most of them just represent their specific quailties or are mocks of their real name

Alakazam - Spoon-ing! - just felt right lols
Scizor - 70s Red - might change it RedForeman - Because i love That 70's Show
Feraligatr - Im a Gator - Pretty obvious
Lugia - Giant Lugi - Lugi as in spit
Ampharos - Amp It up! - just looks like it
Togekiss - Deathkiss - he's not like regular togekisses

I was so tired and out of ideas one night that I named male Wobboffet "Fuck Me" and the female "Fuck You."

Several of my nicknamed Pokemon: I pulled out some of the ones I liked best.

Porygon-Z - Civex - Corruption of convex polygon.
Sharpedo - Kaiten - The Kaiten was a type of Japanese torpedo.
Infernape - Neraka - Neraka is Indonesian for "inferno/hell".
Togekiss - Tellus - Corruption of vitellus (egg yolk)
Typhlosion - Melvora - Typhlosion is based on the Honey Badger, Mellivora capensis.
Ampharos - Damara - The Damara is a breed of Sheep, originating from Egypt.
Altaria - Alnair - Alnair is the brightest star in the constellation Grus, the Crane.
Lumineon - Innesi - Finneon is based on the Neon Tetra, Paracheirodon innesi.
Cloyster - Cypod - From "Pelecypoda", another name for the Bivalvia class (Bivalves).
Magcargo - Tram - From "ultramafic lava".
Victreebel - Sarah - From Sarraceniaceae, a family of pitcher plants.
Rhyperior - Diceros - From the scientific name of the Black Rhinoceros, Diceros bicornis.
Kingler - Tallanica - From Uca tallanica, a species of fiddler crab.
Omastar - Scaphite - From Hoploscaphites, a genus of ammonite.
Lanturn - Esca - The esca is the name of the glowing growth at the end of an Anglerfish's illicium.
Jirachi - Negai - Negai is Japanese for "wishes".
Zapdos - Wakiya - Wakį́yą is the Lakota name for the legendary Thunderbird.

...Meep.

Several of my nicknamed Pokemon: I pulled out some of the ones I liked best.

Porygon-Z - Civex - Corruption of convex polygon.
Sharpedo - Kaiten - The Kaiten was a type of Japanese torpedo.
Infernape - Neraka - Neraka is Indonesian for "inferno/hell".
Togekiss - Tellus - Corruption of vitellus (egg yolk)
Typhlosion - Melvora - Typhlosion is based on the Honey Badger, Mellivora capensis.
Ampharos - Damara - The Damara is a breed of Sheep, originating from Egypt.
Altaria - Alnair - Alnair is the brightest star in the constellation Grus, the Crane.
Lumineon - Innesi - Finneon is based on the Neon Tetra, Paracheirodon innesi.
Cloyster - Cypod - From "Pelecypoda", another name for the Bivalvia class (Bivalves).
Magcargo - Tram - From "ultramafic lava".
Victreebel - Sarah - From Sarraceniaceae, a family of pitcher plants.
Rhyperior - Diceros - From the scientific name of the Black Rhinoceros, Diceros bicornis.
Kingler - Tallanica - From Uca tallanica, a species of fiddler crab.
Omastar - Scaphite - From Hoploscaphites, a genus of ammonite.
Lanturn - Esca - The esca is the name of the glowing growth at the end of an Anglerfish's illicium.
Jirachi - Negai - Negai is Japanese for "wishes".
Zapdos - Wakiya - Wakį́yą is the Lakota name for the legendary Thunderbird.

...Meep.

damn, what the...
What like you pull out a encyclopedia before you name em'?
I mean wow, they're cool and meaningful.
Either your some sort of Einstien or your very knowledgable.
Nice!

Re: Clever Pokemon nicknames

Love- Flareon
Joy- Glaceon
Peace- Leafeon
Kindness- Jolteon
Gentleness- Vaporeon
Trust- Espeon
Patience- Umbreon

Nickname a pidgy butts.

Butts used gust

its super effivtive!!!!

BEST NAME EVER = HILTON THE PARAS

LOL GET IT

I actually laughed at this. :lol:

I don't know if it's clever as such, but I once called a Venusaur Yggdrasil... after the giant tree in Norse Mythology.

I have a Jynx named 'Lady GaGa' on my SoulSilver. Don't ask why, as I'm not quite sure myself.

I named my Weezing LosAngeles.
If you get it...lol

Thanks.

I don't nickname Pokémon anymore, gutted. I did, back in Pokémon Blue though! I was 9 or 10 years old at the time so these nicknames were terrible.

SPYRO the Charizard
DUSTER the Venomoth
FINN the Seadra
TEMPEST the Hypno
1UP the Parasect
JAMES the Jolteon (In my hometown, the inventor James Watt is kind of a big historical figure. It felt clever at the time. I renamed him to something shit like AMPS.)

I name mine after charactors in playststion games i have played, or names that old people i know are called, or just names i think sound funny

Dorothy the Feraligatr (after my friends Grandma)
Ingrid the Drapion (after the schools Drug Councellor)
Hilda the Red Gyarados
Sharron the Dragonite
Fran the Amphoros (after The Nanny)
Maude the Golem
Wyann the Shaymin
Boone the Darkrai
Mufasa the Entei, Scar the Raiku and Simba the Suicune (from the lion king)
Selma the Victreebel
John the Tynanitar
Dave The Charizard (after my bus driver who smokes heavily)
Megatron The Porygon
Vladimir the Garchomp
Yvonne the Yanmega
Gladys the Gliscor
Yggdrasil the Torterra (after the Breath of Fire 3 charactor) cant believe someone else used this name!
Ringo The Heracross
Warren the Electivire
Clyde the Magmortar
Teepo the Gengar (from Breath of Fire 3)
Dagget the Bibarel (from the Angry Beavers TV show)
Cassius the Gallade (after the Foals song)
Clockwerk the Scarmory (from Sly Raccoon)
Batilla the Clefairy (from Rayman PS1)
Deoxyribos the Deoxys
Myria the Houndoom (from Breath of Fire 3)

Haven't really thought of any clever names. I came up with Emboar for Tepig/Pokabu, but I was far from being the only one to think of that name, and it ended up being one of the romanizations for Pokabu's final evolution, anyway.

1UP the Parasect

^ I love that! Wish I thought of it! very clever imo

Fjords the Empoleon.
Zephyr the Pidgeotto.
Kenshin the Scizor (after Rorouni Kenshin).
NickiMinaj the Gardevoir (cuz they're both super sexy!).
Shaft the Honchkrow (lol).
Boo the Haunter.

Here are some of mine:
Garchomp(male): Viral; after the tenga toppa gurren lagann character who was part shark and fought in desert areas
Salamence(female): Sally; for cuteness and lolz
Lucario: Ozymandias; named after one of the most famous egyptian kings, Lucario has design elements from egypt
Bronzong: Aspis; named after the bronze sheilds used by ancient greek hoplites, Bronzong functions a defensive role acting like a sheild.
Snorlax: Blob; when he curses enough times he becomes unmoveable. "Nothing moves the Blob!"
Kyogre,Groudon,Rayquaza: Leviathan, Behemoth, Ziz; after the legendary creatures they were based on.
Infernape: Burn Out (has close combat and overheat which burn out its stats and then u-turns out to recharge)
Weavile: Cold Snap (part ice and refers to its high attack and speed).
Shandera(female): Shana; after the main charater from Shakugan no Shana who was a girl reborn with fire powers and hunts supernatural creatures.
Reshiram,Zekrom,Kyurem: Kinetic,Emag,Potential; after a popular theory that the dragons represent types of energy. Reshiram being part fire is energy in motion (kinetic), Zekrom is part electric is electromagnetic energy and Kyurem is part ice which is still but could move one day (potential energy)

Last edited:

I named a Tentacruel "UGTBCTBK". Why, might you ask?
It's short for "You got to be cruel to be kind"
Kinda lame, I know. There's also the fact that nearly every Magikarp I catch ends up being named "Wishoffish" (Wish of Fish).

The name of any physicist - Any member of the Dragon Trio. I prefer Einstein for Dialga, Newton for Palkia, and Hawking or Morgan-Mar for Giratina.
'ThelVadam or Arbiter - Palkia. Why? It sorta looks like the Arbiter.
Eldritch (as in Eldritch Abomination) or Lovecraft - Giratina, which, well, pretty much is a low-grade Eldritch Abomination, and was possibly influenced by Lovecraftian horrors
Precious - Giratina, just to be ironic
Vesuvius - Groudon
Meditran (a shortening of Mediterranian) - Kyogre
Alpine - Rayquaza
Flametorch - Moltres
Conductor - Zapdos
Deepfreeze - Articuno
Giygas - Spiritomb
Insomnia - Snorlax
Kaiba - Reshiram (Hmm, it's a dragon-type and it's white with blue eyes. Same as Seto Kaiba's signature card)
Wheeler - Zekrom (black dragon type with red eyes. Same as what was once Joey Wheeler's signature Card)

Last edited:

Cyclo- short for cyclomantius (very big bettle)- heracross
apocalypse- absol
jet- skarmory- look at it on ranch
link- gallade- green and white pokemon with swords

i have more, but i dont have my game handy

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom