• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Gardevoir - Grace
Eevee - Eve
Ninetales - Suna
Umbreon - Luna

These I guess are just to common.

But I nicknamed my female Zoroark Zoey.

I've got a few, from my SoulSilver and Black teams.

350.png
Narcissea the Milotic. Narcissus (a flower, and means vanity) + Sea, since water type.

407.png
Rosamour the Roserade. Rose, which is obviously the flower it's based on, and amour, the french word for love. Roserade looks somewhat French in design.

474.png
Error404 the Porygon-Z. Being a cyber glitch Pokemon, it makes sense to name it after computer glitches. Technically should be in reverse, but it doesn't sound as good.

237.png
Ginga the Hitmontop. Ginga is a dancing movement in capoeira, the Brazilian fighting style Hitmontop is based on.

620.png
Shao-Lin the Mienshao. It's English name derives from Shaolin Kung Fu, and the separated the name seems Chinese.

609.png
Lovecraft the Chandelure. Nicknamed after the master of horror writer, H.P. Lovecraft. This Pokemon and it's abilities are reminiscent of his type of tale.

635.png
Abaddon the Hydreigon. His name means either the depths of hell or the destroyer who comes at armageddon. He is described as the "King of the Bottomless Pit". It fits a terrifying beast like Hydreigon.

430.png
Fortunato the Honchkrow. He is named after a character from Edgar Allen Poe's Cask of Amontillado. The tale is very grim, and although the character is actually unlucky (in response to the ability Super Luck), a raven/crow fits well with a Poe character.

282.png
Sanaeris the Gardevoir. Sana comes from the sound of her Japanese name, Sirknight, and Aeris from the character in Final Fantasy VII.

354.png
Harlequin the Banette. The impish nature of ghosts and Banette's head and arms reminded me of jesters, so this one was obvious.

38.png
Eclaireux the Ninetales. Les eclaireux is the French term for Will-o-wisps, fox fire, or forest faerie lights. Ninetales seems like a French duchess to me, and deserving of an elegant name. Eclairs are also French pastries, often with white fluffy cream.

149.png
Kohaiku the Dragonite. Kohaku is the Japanese word for amber, and a haiku is a Japanese poem.

These names are very creative!

Not so much clever, but when I played pokemon red I had a charizard called Blaze, then two generations later BAM! Charizard has the ability blaze lol, When I found that out I was like "spooooky:eek:"

My Pokemons' nicknames range from epic to boring to no sense at all.
My Mewtwo's name is "iPod!!!" ...Latios took me so long to catch that I named him Frustratio. The "n" wouldn't fit...
And I have a friend who named her Catcturne "OMG Harley." ...

I called my Ducklett Odette for when it evolved into Swanna.

Am I cool yet?

No seriously I don't normally go OTT with names, I'll just pick one that suits the personalities I imagined them to have/their natures or is derived from a related word. Otherwise I just cannot take them seriously in game and feel like some pompous fool referring to them, and overthinking/planning/looking up names seems so stiff and unnatural for me. =/ The way I feel most endeared with them is naming them on the spot there and then even if it means sitting around for half an hour creating something worthy/checking their natures and changing their name afterwards, unless I have something very specific in mind - for example, my Petilil in my previous playthrough was destined to be called Lillian because it seemed to suit the line adorably, but this time around I decided to call mine Annelise on the spot.

Last edited:
I dunno if it's clever but I aim for my final nicknames of (my future) Throh and (my current) Sawk to be "Ergeki" and "Bergeki."

I also named my Diamond Honchkrow "Don Class."

I thought its Japanese name was Donkurasu, not Donkarasu.

Last edited:
Some of my Pokemon from Black and White had some clever ones/references...

Excadrill - Doug (hehe... punny.)
Eelektross - (F) Eelektra
Hydreigon - Orochi (Okami)
Samurott - Otto
Emboar - Ganon (Zelda)
Gigaltih - Stone Cold (Steve Austin)
Beartic - PolarPower
Scrafty - Holmes
Carracosta - Leonardo (Blue turtle ... TMNT?)
Archeops - Archer
Golurk - Phulax (Greek for guardian)
Bisharp - Strategos (Greek for general)
Haxorus - Dr. HAX (Gmod fad)
Druggidon - Agrius (Greek for fierce)
Braviary - Wargle (Japanese name for Braviary)
Heatmor - Heatmoar (yootoob fad)
ferrothorn - Grassnade
seismetoad - George (look at him, he's totally a george. Plus his Japanese name had Geroge in it.)
Cofagrigus - Tut
conkledurr - DURR
Throh - ernie (sesame street anyone? P.S... Sawk = Bert)
Darmanitan - RAPEFACE
Zoroark - Z
Chandalure - Heartless (kingdom hearts... sorta)
KlinkKlang - gottam (Team Fortress 2)
Galvantula - Arachnode
Krookodile - Rockodile (he's a rockstar)
Zebstrika - Striker (everyone has to have one of these kinds of nicknames...)
Scoliopede - Pendra (sorta Japanese name for him)
Mienshao - Kopti (it was Kopto, but its female. So Kopta sounded ganstah for copper, so i went with this. means something in Greek...)

Last edited:
Gardevoir - Grace
Eevee - Eve
Ninetales - Suna
Umbreon - Luna

These I guess are just to common.

But I nicknamed my female Zoroark Zoey.

:-|
you got a female.
You shoulda named it Meema!
Didn't you see the movie!?

Last edited:
Before Black and White were released in America, I took the liberty of making nicknames for every evolutionary family, but not the legendaries. I don't name Legendaries. So, anyway, here are thee Unova names I came up with:

Snivy: Francois
Tepig: Sun Tzu
Oshawott: Musashi
Patrat: Look Out
Lillipup: Mustache
Purrloin: Sickle
Pansage: Broccoli
Pansear: Pepper
Panpour: Asparagus
Munna: Dreamy
Pidove: Heartthrob ♂; Lovey Dove ♀
Blitzle: Stripez
Roggenrola: Don Hard
Woobat: Cardio
Drilbur: Monty
Audino: Tubby
Timburr: Rudy
Tympole: Wart
Throh: Ernie
Sawk: Bert
Sewaddle: Nana
Venipede: Popo
Cotonee: Ginny
Petilil: Annabelle
Basculin: (Red) Big Mouth; (Blue) Bad Bass
Sandile: Croco
Darumaka: Eyebrows; (Zen Mode) Zenbrows
Maractus: Samba
Dwebble: Crusty
Scraggy: Mugsy
Sigilyph: Aztec
Yamask: Ramses
Tirtouga: Crush
Archen: Woodstock
Trubbish: Big Dump
Zorua: Tricky
Minccino: Luxury
Gothita: Celeste
Solosis: Booger
Ducklett: Ugly
Vanillite: Ben&Jerry
Joltick: Webster
Deerling: Prancer
Emolga: Rocky
Karrablast: Lancelot
Foongus: Shroom!!
Frillish: Charles ♂; Elizabeth ♀
Alomomola: Mama
Ferroseed: Bramble
Klink: Cogswell
Tynamo: Tesla
Elgyem: Roswell
Litwick: Nitelite
Axew: Halberd
Cubchoo: Sniffles
Cryogonal: Mr. Freeze
Shelmet: Juyushi
Stunfisk: Flip Flop
Mienfoo: Rex
Druddigon: Craggy
Golett: Gigantor
Pawniard: Go! PWRNGR
Bouffalant: B Dynamite
Rufflet: George W.
Vullaby: Susan B.
Heatmor: Pyro
Durant: Soldier
Deino: Gleeok
Larvesta: Mothra

Keep in mind, I made up all these names BEFORE they had English names. If you wanna know about any of them, ask me.

Jaspill the Jellicent
Named after Jasper the douchebag ghost and the world Spill,as in spilling water

I only recently started naming Pokemon, beginning only with Pokemon I've E.V. trained. I branched out a bit after that, naming a couple of other Pokemon, mostly legendaries or starters. The list is as such.

Landshark: The first Pokemon I ever E.V. trained, a Garchomp. He has crazy high stats, which are better than any other Pokemon I've trained. Landshark is a shark that lives in the land.
Clank: A Metagross I E.V. trained. It's named after Clank from the Ratchet and Clank series of games.
Leviathan: A Kyogre that I plan to E.V, train, as my first über. The Leviathan is a giant legendary sea creature.
Revolver: My starter from White, an Oshawott. It's a reference to the Metal Gear Solid games, which I have not played.
Blitzdrach: My Zekrom. Blitzdrachen is German for Lightning-Dragon, but that doesn't fit.
Zephos: Zephos is a wind god from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. He flies around on a cloud, and so does Thundurus. The Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game, so I thought I should have a reference.
*Edit* FeMagnus: It's sort of a Latin mock-up of Iron Giant. Golurk is sort of a huge mecha, and he can fly. I figured it was appropriate.
I might have forgotten a couple, but those are the best of them.

Last edited:
Long list:

Excadrill - Simon
Scrafty - Kamina
Zoroark - Meema
Serperior - SolidSnivy
Golett - Dai-Gurren
Gible - Viral
Prinplup - Tux
Infernape - Sun Wukong
Gardevoir (male) - Bridget
Darmanitan - RAPE APE
Joltik - Tesla
Vileplume - Rafflesia
Crobat - Zuzu
Larvesta - Mothra
Purrloin - Bradtke
Herdier - Jack
Stunfisk - Derpfish
Tympole - Sadpole
Deino - Ringo
Pawniard - Blados

Long list:

Excadrill - Simon
Scrafty - Kamina
Zoroark - Meema
Serperior - SolidSnivy
Golett - Dai-Gurren
Gible - Viral
Prinplup - Tux
Infernape - Sun Wukong
Darmanitan - RAPE APE
Joltik - Tesla
Vileplume - Rafflesia
Crobat - Zuzu
Larvesta - Mothra
Purrloin - Bradtke
Herdier - Jack
Stunfisk - Derpfish
Tympole - Sadpole
Deino - Ringo
Pawniard - Blados

You. Are.GOD!

I'm breeding exadrill for a wifi team right now, my plan is

Exadril- Dolomite

Why? Two reasons
1. He can dig it,
2. He's one baaaad Mot-SHUT YO MOUTH

^Thank you ^w^ As you can see most of them are named after anime or game characters.

IceBarrage The Cryogonal

Long list:

Excadrill - Simon
Scrafty - Kamina
Zoroark - Meema
Serperior - SolidSnivy
Golett - Dai-Gurren
Gible - Viral
Prinplup - Tux
Infernape - Sun Wukong
Darmanitan - RAPE APE
Joltik - Tesla
Vileplume - Rafflesia
Crobat - Zuzu
Larvesta - Mothra
Purrloin - Bradtke
Herdier - Jack
Stunfisk - Derpfish
Tympole - Sadpole
Deino - Ringo
Pawniard - Blados

Your nicknames are the nicknames to pierce the heavens!

Not sure how clever these are, but here are a few nicknames I've used.

Infernape - Son Son
Zekrom - Toothless/ Tron
Reshiram - Quark/ Nall
Emboar - Porco
Golduck - Brooklyn
Luxray - Kimba

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom