• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I like some of the nicknames I've given. KingBanana my Snorlax (I also have one called Dreamy), MetroPetro my Metagross, Nanoclusta my Skarmory and my two favourites: Cpt.Crunch the Tyranitar and Sgt.Shell the Squirtle.

Dr.Hoot my Noctowl is pretty cool too.

i did not make these up but i thought they where quite good.
medicham:chuck norris
arcanine:RK9
Venasaur:bulbapedia

For my Dragonite:
-Melusine (a mythical serpent/dragon)
-Fafnir (cursed into a dragon in Norse mythology; he's also in the Niebeljungenlied. Either way, he's slain by Sigurd/Siegfried.)
-Glaurung and Smaug (Two of Tolkien's dragons)

Gyarados: Tiamat (Babylonian mother of the universe who's usually portrayed as a sea serpent)

Miltank #1: Cheese
Miltank #2: Smetana

Male Mareep: Jason (because he has the Golden Fleece...yeah...)

Jinx: Lola

I also have Unown named after punctuation. My favorite is named Quote, but I also have Umlaut, Bracket, and Dash.

Sometimes my Pokémon have clever-ish nicknames, like Caleb the Houndour. Houndour resembles a dog, and the word "caleb" means "dog" in Hebrew. I also have a Uxie named Albert, after Albert Einstein, because it is the Knowledge Pokémon.
But other times, I give my Pokémon weird, immature nicknames like POOP. "Congratulations! Your POOP evolved into GYARADOS!" cracks me up. :lol:

Last edited:
I suck at nicknames, so whenever I name my Pokemon, the names usually end in "y" and are quite predictable... For example:
Pikachu: Sparky...
Pansear: Flamey...
Munna: Moony...
Lillipup: Scruffy...
...I'm going to hide now...

In my HeartGold party I ran with an MGS theming.

Charizard- Snake
Meganium- Solidus
Swampert- Liquid
Espeon- Big Boss
Jolteon- Raiden

Now I'm going for a more general video game theme in White.

Charizard- Snake (still)
Meganium- Yoshi
Swampert- Sonic
Espeon- Link
Pikachu- Ezio
Articuno- Kazooie

I also always wanted to name an Electrode "Achmed"

Think about it...

My team in HeartGold:
Tank Girl, Lv. 50 Miltank
Faceroll, Lv. 97 Mewtwo
Junebug, Lv. 80 Dragonite
Elec Ave, Lv. 56 Electivire
WTF BOOM, Lv. 100 Typhlosion
Chain Chop, Lv. 78 Garchomp

My team in White:
GARYMFNOAK, Lv. 54 Stoutland
Hipster, Lv. 46 Unfezant
Fist Pump, Lv. 56 Krookodile
HULK SMASH, Lv. 57 Throh
Gigawatt, Lv. 58 Zebstrika
Magikarp, Lv. 65 Samurott

I don't use any theme, really. I just use what ever comes to my mind.

Last edited:
Hmm. I gave "Wikiwiki" to a Galvantula. I also have two Haxorus (Haxori? Haxorides?) named Maxible and Draxon respectively.

Here's my White Party's nicknames (the one I use for tournaments):

Scrafty (F)- Jasmine- It sounds like a female pimp's name.
Carracosta (M)- Koopa- Named after the Mario enemy.
Reuniclus (M)- Cellmate- a little pun in name.
Chandelure (M)- Blinky- Named after the Pac-Man ghost.
Ferrothorn (M)- Needler- Named after the Megaman Battle Network chip and the Halo weapon.
Durant (F)- Durma- A play-on of its original name.

I named my Simisage Salad. Would that count as clever? D: Most of the nicknames I give them are stupid. :DDD

Pterrorist the Aerodactyl(my best one imo), Lernaean the Hydreigon(based off the Greek Hydra, someone here said they liked it), Smith the Garchomp(it just sounds cool), Chatturgha the Scizor(have you played Eternal Darkness? You should friend me if you have :-D ), Zeus Bro! the Thundurus(coolest name ever for it, right?) Extract the Volcarona(don`t drink, but good name for it, no?), Teravolt71 the Zekrom(`nuff said ;-) ). That`s the best I got so far.

I named my Snivy (now a Serperior) Nefarian. In one of my favorite books, Skulduggery Pleasant, the main villian is named Nefarian Serpine. So Nefarian Servine was born.
My Golurk is named Dorfl after the golem from the book Feet of Clay.
My Victini is named Valor. (starts with V)
I am so weird. :p

Golurk - Blackout (My fav. transformer)
Hydreigon - Ghidorah
Volcarano - Mothra
Sawk - Kumite

Stark the Metagross (Tony Stark hehe)
Kaiser the Scizor (this name just gives me an idea of sharp objects)
Sparrow the Crawdaunt (pun on Jack Sparrow)

Blackout for a Golurk sounds great. For shiny one even more :)

i haven't dicided if i should name them yet but i'd call them after what the're based on or look like. sucha as
gojira the tyranitar.(i don't like t-rex's)
doctor the dialga (get it :-D )
microwave the rotom
pachy the rampardos
can't think of one for my Heatran or Magmortor
oh wait! i actuly named my Volcarona Battra.
Golurk - Blackout (My fav. transformer)
Hydreigon - Ghidorah
Volcarano - Mothra

doen't it look more like battra than mothra?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom