• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I've got a Dream World Staraptor with Reckless, and since it knows Brave Bird and Double-Edge I've nicknamed it Masochist. That bird just loves self-harm.

I named my male Zebstrika "Stormrider". Yeah, lame but I like it.

I also named my male Scolipede "Fattypede". Stupid but funny.

I had named my Floatzel Kitsune (good for killing Darmanitans!), which I think means fox in japanese. I had also named one of my breeded Shinx Juusan, which is 13 in Japanese. I named him that because he was the 13th Shinx I hatched. :p

I've always been a fan of thinking of witty or creative nicknames for my pokemon.. I haven't seen any posts regarding nicknames, so I thought it's certainly a subject interesting enough for one..

I name all of pokemon, and some of the names just come out of my head (example:my Venusaur is named 'Melmei') These are some of the more interesting nicknames that have actual meanings:
Pokemon: Name: Meaning:
Tropious (F) Cybele Phrygrian nature goddess
Dragonite (F) Apalala Water-dwelling dragon from Buddhist Mythology
Walrein (M) Vinterdrep Norwegian for "winter slay"
Milotic (F) Calypso Beautiful naiad from Greek mythology and The Odyssey
Salamence (M) Orochi Evil serpent-creature from Japanese mythology
Articuno Aosaginohi Japanese for "blue heron fire"
Rayquaza Xiuhcoatl Fire-serpent from Aztec mythology
Pelipper (M)(shiny) Esmeraldo Portugese for "Emerald"
Mantyke (M) Stevesdead Okay, it's not funny, I know.

The portugese for ''emerald'' is esmeralda xP which is obviasly the rare green stone ;)

What I do is... I take the first two letters from the Pokémon's name and then search for names using those first two letters on this website: Think Baby Names and then just pick the name which I think would suit my Pokémon the best. The only Pokémon I didn't use this "rule" with are my Emboar and Sawk - my Emboar is named Alexander (after my brother) and my Sawk is named Hwoarang (after a Tekken character).

So far I've only named my team on Black though. My Stoutland is Stark, my Krookodile is Krissa, my Tornadus is Torald, and my Scolipede is Scarlette. So, I have yet to run into any 'problems' such as there being no names possible from the letters I input.

On Platinum, I have:

Ikko the Torterra -Male- (Pronounced like eco, as in to do with the enviroment)
Laduma the Luxray -Female- ('It thunders' in an African language (unsure which), also used as a cheer)
Kenna the Flareon -Female- (Feminine form of Kenneth, meaning bravery. Also a Celtic word relating to fire)

I named my Larvesta Seraph, keeping in line with the origins of the pokémon.

My main Pokemon in any game are named after the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse and the 7 Deadly Sins.
(Team in Red/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen)
Scyther: Envy
Dragonite: Lust
Mewtwo: Conquest
Moltres: War
Articuno: Famine
Zapdos: Death
(Older Pokemon)
Blastoise/Venusaur/Vaporeon: Greed
Snorlax: Gluttony
Slowbro: Sloth
Gyrados/Charizard/Flareon: Wrath
Jolteon/Arcanine/Ninetales: Pride

I nickname all of my Pokemon, but I tend to choose a theme for my in-party members. Usually, it's Final Fantasy summons. A few examples:
Bahamut the Charizard
Ixion the Zebstrika
Valefor the Flygon
Shiva the Froslass
Leviathan the Feraligatr
And so on and so forth. I could go on for a while (I have a team for each Gen that are all named different summon names). From there, I just give names that make sense or that I like. I've gone with a Smash Bros theme, a Fire Emblem team (which allows for so many different names), Godzilla monsters (Baragon the Nidoking, anyone?), and even gemstones.

Golurk - Blackout (My fav. transformer)
:eek: You win the thread. :unworthy:

My Golurk in Black was named Riser. It fit, since he rose to every occasion and became the team leader. If I needed a win, he got it for me. Thus, he earned the name. My Sawk was named Tremblor, because of how much damage he could cause. (He cost me five freaking balls!) I named my Sigilyph Guardian because of its PokeDex info, but now I'll have to use that name for a different Pokemon... :awww:

I don't always name my pokemon, but sometimes I do feel the need. My newest team is all getting nicknamed.
Bisharp: Schneider
Infernape: SunWu
Electivire: Sasquatch
Swampert: Everglade
Mismagius: Morgana
Aerodactyl: Petrie

I nickname all my Pokemon, mostly random of silly names. The best ones I've come up with are Hestia the Volcarona and Fearmint the Fearow (he is the epitome of terror, minty freshness and bad puns).

Uhmm, I doubt my Pokèmon names can be considered clever. xD
But yeah, I love to give them nicknames, mostly funny ones.
The Pokèmon that are usually used to Fly to cities (Pidgeot, Fearow, and so on) are names after airplane companies, like "EasyJet" or "Alitalia". xD
I wanted to name my Staraptor "Apollo", but he's a she so I changed it to "Pollon".
Some other names come from substances and elements, like my Eevee trio (Jolteon, Flareaon, Vaporeon) are respectively called "Caffeine", "Amphetamine" and "Endorphine" (Had to cut Amphetamine because it's too long, so now he's called "Amphetamin") and my Skarmory is called "Titanium".
Others are plain silly: named my Golduk "Darkwing" (after Darkwing Duck), Groudon is "Ghidorah", Kyogre is "Monthra", Giratina is named "Godot", and my Kingler name is "Sebastian". x3

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom