• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I give my pokemon sweet names..like my empoleon is nicked 'killer,' and my staravia is 'flyboy'

EDIT: OH YEA.. my ponyta (daddy of all my baby ponytas that you can adopt) is nicked "p-tizzle" complete ownage

I named my Mewtwo Killer.

I also think I want to name my others after gym leaders who specialize in the type of that Pokemon.
Typhlosion- Chili
Infernape- I would but I will never be able to rename him because he came from my diamond which I deleted the save file of, Flint
Empoleon- My brother could rename this, Crasherwake or Cress if Crasherwake doesn't fit
Venusaur- Erika (Yes, she's a girl)
Staraptor- same situation as Infernape but I would name it Falkner.

Last edited:
EDIT:
In my current Sapphire Nuzlocke Challenge, I have 5 Pokémons, all lvl 16, before even taking on Roxanne. Here are their nicknames :

Mudkip (M) = Ike. Since one of the aspects of the Nuzlocke Challenge reminded me of the Fire Emblem series (when your partner dies, you don't see him/her again), and the fact that I prefer Ike over Marth in Brawl helps it, I guess.
ikecrackheroin.gif

So, you play Brawl too and using Ike huh? My four best characters would have to be, in order: Pokemon Trainer (mainly because of Charizard's Rock Smash), Ike (no explanation needed there), Lucario (the phrase what doesn't kill you makes you stronger applys for him, and my best character from both Melee and 64 Captain Falcon!

My mains are Captain Falcon (YES !) and Ness. Ike and Ganondorf are my second besties. =p

My Samurott is named Poseidon. I AM SO ORIGINAL GAIS
In SoulSilver I have a male Bellsprout named Audrey. Guess, friends, guess.

I initially refused to nickname any of my Pokémon. One of the rare exceptions until recently was "Flame" the nicknamed Blaziken which was my very first Pokémon on Ruby Version. I didn't nicknamed them because the species name itself is - in most cases - already an accurate description of the character (and by extension, its abilities.) so i saw no reason for most time in nicknaming.

However recently, mainly inspired through Nuzlocke Comics, i started to give my main party members nicknames during the last two story runs. Although i am not a fan of references to other VG series (spare certain exceptions), i usually end up referencing something when nicknaming. Topics include many things, ranging from mythology to neuroscience.

Team Members (Diamond):

Luxray is nicknamed "Voltekka", referencing Volt Tackle and Pulseman (which was also created by GAME FREAK), mainly because it is electric-type. Torterra goes by the name of "Crusher", as it seems like a rough Pokémon to me, and to praise it's great attack stat. For those who didn't know, i usually prefer all-out attacking strategies and like agressive Pokémon, statistics-wise. "Crusher" is further surpassed by "Carnage", which serves as Rampardos' moniker, again emphasizing on the high Attack stat. There is also a character from various Spider-Man comics, which also is named Carnage, and despite the intention to avoid crossovers, provided inspiration. Honchkrow is named "Korax", which is derived from Corvus Corax and the fact that a greek rhetorician (regarding Honchkrows overall appearance) was also named so. Last comes "Shirley", my Gyarados, which is female (although Shirley was originally a boys' name, but i guess that is off-topic). Shirley is a kind of running-gag among my nicknames, as it sounds rather cute, and i am usually giving it to Pokémon who are rather intimidating in their appearance. Referencing my own definition of "cute", despite the consensus.

Team Members (SoulSilver):

Gyarados only changed color, it still goes by the name of Shirley. Meganium (this was the first time i chose it in the remakes.) is named "Killer". This is a rather complicated inside-reference. Killer is also the german dub name of the Venusaur known as "Bruteroot" in the english dub of M01. It's not just because they are both grass-type starters, but also for comedic purpose (Meganium looks far less intimidating compared to the metal-punk-flower-toad.). Still under-estimate it at your own risk, Meganium equipped w/ Swords Dance can go on a real rampage, for sure. Nidoking and Ninetales have far less creative nicknames, "Hyperion" and "Kitsune", respectively. While Hyperion, referencing the mythological Titan, hints at its gender ratio, Kitsune is just referencing the design basis. Last comes my Espeon, which is named Aspieon. Besides the similar pronounciation, it hints at the general theme of the psychic-type, which seems to circle around paranormal phenomenons. And references Asperger's syndrome, which is a neurological disorder, sometimes interpreted by mass media as being Esper-like, on rare occassions, forming a connection. I grew to like that name and since, adopted the moniker.

Oh my goodness, Little Shop of Horrors ref. Well, now I know what I'm naming my Bellsprout from now on....! :lol:

When I catch Kyurem, I'm thinking of naming it "Jet" as in jet stream. When I get Landorus, I'm calling him GaiaGuard, short for Gaia Guardian.

Oh my goodness, Little Shop of Horrors ref. Well, now I know what I'm naming my Bellsprout from now on....! :lol:

When I catch Kyurem, I'm thinking of naming it "Jet" as in jet stream. When I get Landorus, I'm calling him GaiaGuard, short for Gaia Guardian.

We have a winner! :D

When I get W2, I'm going to name Snivy "Excalibur". The reseblence!

There are several nicknames I give and they are often italian-dialectal so it's useless to post them here.
Example: Ambipom, DOSCHIAFFE. In a central italian dialect DO stands for DUE (two) and SCHIAFFE for SCHIAFFI (slaps).

"Normal" nicknames are:
-Scizor, RED STEEL: He is red and made by steel and "Red Steel" is a famous Wii Videogame.
-Metagross, MEGATRON: They are both cybernetic things or kinda and they sound similar.
-Mewtwo, M2 001: To remark the fact he is an experiment.
-Gardevoir (male): GIADA: a female name for a male Pokémon who looks feminine cause I'm gonna name Giada myself when I'm gonna change sex. :D
-Garchomp, PIPPO: PIPPO is the italian name for the Disney character "Goofy" and this pkmn reminds him to me.
-Machamp, APOLLO: like the greek God.
-Starmie, WARP STAR: that of the Kirby saga.

And many many others! XD

I nickname almost all of my Pokémon with their original Japanese names.

With very few exceptions like:

Redian -> Kamen Rider
Kirikizan -> Kaijin
Ulgamoth -> Mothra
Sazandora > Ghidorah
Glion > Gremlin

I like to set the colossi names (from Shadow of the Colossus) as nicknames to some Pokémon, like:

Emperte/Daikenki -> Pelagia
Mukuhawk/Warrgle -> Avion
Rentorar -> Cenobia
Zebraika -> Quadratus

etc.

There are several nicknames I give and they are often italian-dialectal so it's useless to post them here.
Example: Ambipom, DOSCHIAFFE. In a central italian dialect DO stands for DUE (two) and SCHIAFFE for SCHIAFFI (slaps).
It gets more fitting when you know that "AFFE" is German for "monkey". : D

I was thinking of naming a Weavile "Clavicus". Refers to a Daedra Lord in the Elder Scrolls series, Clavicus Vile.

Clavicus Weavile. XD

It gets more fitting when you know that "AFFE" is German for "monkey". : D

I can fool friends telling that this was intended. XD

I had a Platinum team all with these names

Empoleon - Barricade
Lopunny - Soundwave
Staraptor - Blackout
Luxray - Megatron
Rampardos - Shockwave
Gallade - Starscream

cookie for anyone who gets the reference

Pidgeot - Hermes, the Greek messenger of Olympus, god of travel and travelers
Typhlosion - Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire, blacksmith of Olympus

Years ago I used to nickname all of my Pokemon their species name backwards. Pikachu became Uhcakip. It was fun to pronounce them - maybe it wasn't clever, but I was pleased with myself (haha)!

I have RNG'd literally hundreds of individual pokemon. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. Has a Zelda inspired nickname. Just a few of my favorites are:

Terrakion: Goht
639.gif
120px-Goht.png

and

Lickilicky: Like Like
463.gif
104px-LikeLike2.png

Attachments

• 639.gif
    639.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 289
I usually just go with whatever seems appropriate. In my Black team at the moment I have...

Galahad - Gallade (After Sir Galahad in the King Arthur story)
Fungasaur - Breloom (Looks like a dinosaur with a mushroom hat)
Black-Ops - Umbreon (Cause he's black)
Gullotine - Scizor (He cuts things)
Armaggedon - Excadrill (They drilled in that movie)
LizardKing - Tyranitar (Is what Tyrannosaurus Rex means)

Just stuff like that

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom