• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

my gengar is named: you guessed it, gengar...
my electivire is named: wouldn't you know it electivire...
the rest of my pokemon follow the same general idea...
yah, i'm so creative!

When I started Diamond, I had intended to give nicknames to all of the Pokémon that would be in my party, but when it came time to name my Piplup, I couldn't think of a theme, so it remained Piplup. Everything else would thereafter follow a similar pattern.

In LeafGreen, I was marginally more creative. Pokémon that found places in my party were named after musical forms. For example...
Symphony the Vaporeon.
Rhapsody the Charizard, which owes its name partially to symphonic metal band Rhapsody of Fire.
Minuet the Pidgeot.
Overture the Snorlax.
Reprise the other Snorlax.
Serenade the Lapras.
Anthem the Marowak, named after a song by Kamelot because I was listening to their album Ghost Opera at the time.

I've started to revive this trend in Diamond. I bred Symphony and Rhapsody in LeafGreen, gave the hatched Eevee and Charmander the same names and transfered them to Pal Park. I also have a Suicune named Elegy and I intend to name the shiny Ralts that I will catch someday Requiem.

Torterra (M): Asriel
Magnezone: Intention
Lumineon (F): Lyra
Houndoom (M): Will
Drifblim (M): Scoresby
Toxicroak (F): Marisa

Anyone who gets the references gets a mental hug.

Um, my first though was The Golden Compass, so I'm going to go with the His Dark Materials series?

I have a team of Eevee forms, named after Eevee forms in an unwritten fic of mine:
-Carmen the Eevee
-Lukas the Jolteon
-Undine the Vaporeon
-Inigo the Flareon
-Leila the Umbreon
-Cyrus the Espeon

I also have a "semi-random names that came to me" monotype team, where the names all start with the same letter as the species:
-Rani the Rhyhorn
-Glub ("gloob") the Golem
-Cindery the Corsola
-Suit the Sudowoodo
-Oracle the Onix (unused)

This team is named after the two Pokémon (a shiny Sentret and a Shroomish) owned by someone in another unwritten fanfic of mine:
-Raspberry the Furret (I wish she were shiny like my avatar of the same name....)
-AutumnLeaf the Meganium (the Shroomish's name is actually Autumn)

Last edited:
I like to name my Pokemon after a hole lot of different things and places. I have a great variety:

Shiny Shroomish-Shippo (Shippo likes to use red mushrooms, on Inuyasha, and since my shroomish was red, it fits)
Magmotar-Kan'non (His hands are cannons)
Umbreon-Renji (I was watching an episode of Bleach with Renji when I found him)
Salamence-Kento (Sounds cool)
Shiny Manetric- Kappa (Kappa is a fish out of water, and my Manatric knows flamethrower, sunny day, rain dance, and thunder.Unique)
more in a little bit

I name pretty much every Pokemon, except the legendaries.

My Diamond team (All F):
Pachirisu - Pachi (Shortened)
Buneary - Hippy-Hop (Umm, she's hippy and hops a lot ^^)
Floatzel - Zelri (End of name + ri)
Beautifly - Silver (Uh, she's silver)
Staraptor - Aero (My airline)
Piplup - Lupri (End of name + ri)

Some shinies with the Pokeradar:
Furret - Fur8 (I saw her when the chain was at 8)
Eevee - Snowbell (I'm evolving her into Glaceon)
Wingull - Shimmer (Found her in the sea)
Luxray - Golden (Her colour)
Pachirisu - Glitter (She's my favourite shiny =3)

Yeah, I like using my male Skitty's Cute Charm ;)

My elite team:
Nix-Nidoking
Slax-Kabutops
Scorch-Charizard
Ruadri-Gallade
Megadon-Scyzor
Garchomp-Garchomp (Got in a trade)

* I had a Alakazam in Fire red named Kinese with a male Pokemon sign before K and a female pokemon sign after E, pretty bad-ass huh?

i like to name them after names that NPCs and animea charecters have.
eg: tectonix the onix

i also follow what they do to come up with names.
eg: mishroom the shroomish (now breloom) (trend from a nickname i saw in a contest)

and a few i come up with myself
eg: chikadee (i think thats how i spelt it) the blaziken-now my strongest pokemon

my gengar is named: you guessed it, gengar...
my electivire is named: wouldn't you know it electivire...
the rest of my pokemon follow the same general idea...
yah, i'm so creative!

Hell, you might be the most creative person here. As for me, I named my Charizard, "Charizard"; my Dragonite, "Dragonite"; and my Magnezone, "Magnezone". Seriously, it took me like over 9000!!!! days to think of these names for my pokes.

Note that the names are all capitals due to some weird consistency I want to keep for nicknames.

For my level 100 team, there's a psuedo-theme here. A certain series for four of them plus, with the exception of one, all named after different ninja characters:
*Infernape (M) - Goemon (The main hero of the Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon game series)
*Slowking (M) - Ebisumaru (Goemon's seriously weird partner/friend, also from Mystical Ninja)
*Skuntank (M) - Sasuke (Let's get this out of the way right now. I did not name my Skuntank after that character from Naruto. I named him after the robot ninja from Mystical Ninja that helps Goemon out.)
*Leafeon (F) - Yae (You guessed it. Another Pokémon named after a Mystical Ninja character. Probably should have gone with Vaporeon since Yae is able to transform into a mermaid but my Slowking already filled that spot for a water Pokémon so Leafeon worked for me too)
*Clefable (F) - Suzu (11 year old girl ninja from Tales of Phantasia)
*Raichu (M) - Clemente (Philia's Swordian from Tales of Destiny)

As for Level 50 team:
Torterra (M) - Raphael (One of the Ninja Turtles)
Luxray (F) - Philia (Priestess from Tales of Destiny and the Swordian Master of Clemente [see my Raichu])
Staraptor (M) - Keele (Keele Zeibel from Tales of Eternia)
Arcanine (M) - Noishe (Lloyd's "dog" from Tales of Symphonia)
Golduck (M) - Donald (Donald Duck)
Alakazam (M) - Miktran (The main villain of Tales of Destiny)

Last edited:
Oy, I don't know what possessed me to name my poor Yellow Pokémon these (except Podunk, because I liked the way it sounded). Yes, they are capitalized the way they are in the game:
-CORNPONE the Pikachu
-BANANA the Fearow
-JULIE the Venomoth
-Podunk the Dugtrio
-Joe CHOKES the Snorlax
-HO the Seadra

Or at least I think I've evolved them. I haven't played it in a loooong time....
Gaiasweatdrop.gif

I named my Blue team with my eyes closed:
-ABLMNWXXOF the Blastoise (that's uh-blim-in-WIX-off)
-FNOOW;;♂♂ the Raticate (that's fnoo)
-UVD-×STC(u the Fearow (that's UVD-stih-koo)
-ABLU));./♂ the Nidoqueen (that's AH-bloo)
-BLMV:♂)UV the Beedrill (that's BLIM-vuhv)
-SS-A-tu::v the Raichu (that's SA-tuv ["sa" like "sat"])

Then the names on one of my Reds, all ending with those diagonal PKMN things:
-KennyPKMN the Venusaur
-TonyPKMN the Clefable
-JackPKMN the Arbok
-SnowPKMN the Alakazam
-CharesPKMN the Dodrio (yes, not "Charles," but "Chares")
-BarryPKMN the Omastar
-KupoPKMN the Gyarados (used until I could get BarryPKMN)

Last edited:
I thought my Starly kinda looked like a quail. So I named it Potatoe.

Anybody get that one?

Luxray: Technus: I love techno music, and electronic. He is electric ^^
Staraptor: Ion: after a Tales of the Abyss character.
Gabite: Bullet: Just ocurred to me...quick, great name.
Infernape: Fumoffu: After the name of a teddy character in Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu! :p
Sceptile: Gallion. Sound like dragon...yay.
Galaxia: Linoone: Like my real-life ferret. R.I.P.

Only Ion, Technus and Bullet are in my actual party, tho.

And by the way Kthleen, love the name Podunk :D Lol

Mh, I guess most of my nicknames sound strange in your ears as they are german-based names, but anyway:

Empoleon: Ping ( a pinguin-character from a famous german puppet-show)
Lucario: Prüglfuchs ( beat-up-fox, basically)
Mismagius: Cursie ( Curse...yeah...I am THAT creative)
Luxray: Nala ( from lion king)
Vespiquen: CutieHoney ( from the anime character of the same name)
Hippowdon: Schnappo ( schnapp, germ. to snap)
Porygon Z: Next Gen ( console wars annoy me to NO end ^^)
Rhyperior: Hornski ( let´s pretend she´s from poland :p )
Electivire: Kabelmann ( Cableguy)

to name just a few

Emperor the Empoleon: Empoleon is based off of an emperor penguin, need I say more?
Charcoal the Charizard: I guess I liked the nickname, me and my friend got FR at the same time, we both decided to get a Charmander and nickname it "Charcoal".
Hawk the Staraptor: Look at it...
Rage the Garchomp: Anyone that says Garchomp looks happy isn't thinking, at all.
Static the Luxray: Typing.
Bobo the Bidoof: ...Yeah...

I got so far...

Rings the Ursaring (the circle on it's belly)

Stlar the Gallade (Ralts spelled backwards)

Lunar the Lunatone (easy to understand)

Shiny the Quagsire (my favorite shiny)

MsSpivey the Snorlax (one of my fat teachers last year)

Naruto the Ninetails (Got the idea after watching the show Nine Tails is in Naruto so...yeah)

Last edited:
I only niknamed 3 of my Poke's:
Infernape: Inferno (Sounded cool at the time)
Dialga: Hiro (Heroes reference to the Character Hiro Nakamura, who can bend time and space)
Gardevoir: Impath (Another Heroes reference, to what Claude calls Peter because he absorbs other abilities)

I rarley nickname my Pokemon. But my cousin gave me his Chimchar which he named Little Ray. The other day I nicknamed my Pachirisu after my Earth Science teacher because my friends and I call her squirrel lady.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom