• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

i dont usually give my pokemon any nicknames, i like calling pikachu, pikachu and squirtle, squirtle. ect.

Female Bellsprout: Venus (e.g. Venus Flytrap, also Roman goddess)
Pawniard/Bisharp: Musashi (Swordsman), Zatoichi (Swordsman), Montoya (Inigo)
Empoleon: Neptune (Roman God, known for tridents)

I know this is pretty cheesy but I named one of my Kangaskhans P.B. & J because momma Kangaskhan reminds of the color of peanut butter and baby kangaskhan grape jelly :)

I always nickname my Pokemon, but some of my favourites are:

Female Simisage, Female Simipour, and Male Simisear: Venia, Octavia, and Flavius (after Katniss' stylists in The Hunger Games :D)
Female Ninetales: Foxy Lady
Male Stoutland: Princess (because it completely DOESN'T suit)
Male Frillish: Drag Queen (let's be honest, it does NOT look like a guy)
Male Jellicent: Macbeth (the Shakespeare play we were studying in school at the time...)
Heatmor: Oven Mitt (anti-Romney xD)
Paras: Tochukaso (the kind of mushrooms that grow on its back)
Watchog: Stalker
Sceptile: Treezy
Foongus: Toad/Toadette

And then all of the Eeveelutions get Warrior cat names such as:
Mistyfoot the Vaporeon
and
Leafpool the Leafeon

Meinfoo: Weasley
Grumpig: Pearl (pearls before swine)
Woobat: Eros
Whimsicott: Bolton (Michael Bolton hair)
Sandshrew: Pangolin
Golett: Mort (golems are Jewish in origin)
Litwick: Willow (Will o' the Wisp)
Elgyem: Roger (American Dad)
Klink: Gere (Richard Gere)
Durant: Bullet (the species of ants)
Cobalion: Punisher (after the comic book)
Zekrom: Zeus
Charizard: Typhon
Raikou: Thor
Lucario: Anubis (Egyptian mythology)
Feraligatr: Deino (Deinosuchus, an ancient croc)
Oddish: Mandie (according to certain folklore you can die from exposure to a mandrake)
Hoothoot: Dr. Hoot (Dr. Who)

I've only recently starting nicknaming my Pokemon...
I named my Oshawott "Wottle" > u < It just sounds so adorable to me! I also have an Ampharos named Fluorette~

My Togetic is named Farfelle, which means butterfly in Italian but it's also a type of delicate pasta. Togetics' always seem delicate to me, and the shape and colour of the pasta appears like the Togepi line.
Otherwise I just name them silly names, like Totter the Shiny Totodile or Bubblegum the Oshawott. (because the nose and face remind me of an ice cream that has bubblegum as a nose. x'D)

My pokemon nicknames are (Pokemon white and white version 2)
Flame: Emboar
Emmy: Emolga
Bouncer: Timburr
(White version 2)
Bubble: Dewott
Kitty: Skitty
I have so many i forget the rest sorry!

In my Pokemon Yellow Nuzlocke:
Butterfree: Tinkerbell
Pidgeotto: Ace
Nidoking: ChuckNorris
Dugtrio: Triple-T

I like keeping the nicknames somehow thematised, in one game after favourite literature characters, in another after Pokémon villains etc.
But I still try to match it with the species and gender (or purpose, poor my HM slave Linoone called simply Slave). Speakng of the female Aron (or Aggron by now), I called her Betka, as in-my-language deminutive of Elisabeth, like Elisabeth Bathory, which is said (but unconfirmed), that she used iron maidens to torture her victims. (I would feel bad nicknaming her simply after a band :D)
In Platinum, just for the fun ended my female Garchomp as Cynthia and I nearly hurt myself in confusion battling Cynthias Garchomp when I was never sure which Cynthia/Garchomp is game talkng about. (Champion Cynthia sent out Garchomp. Go! Cynthia!).

And once I was very nasty and ironic, as I needed some Fly-slave, so I caught Tropius and nicknamed it N Harmonia.

I really liked the name I gave my Staraptor, Gyrfalcon. It's not a very clever one, I just liked it a lot.

Mine aren't great.
Firebreath- Charizard Just... liked it.
Seed- Venusaur Same as above.
Trickster- Serperior Serperior has high speed.
Epidrill- Excadrill It's epic!
Jasmine- Female Treecko It sounded nice.
Superstar- All my Starly, Staravia and Staraptor.
Loudest- Whismur. Exploud is loud.
Chim Chim- Infernape Didn't know pokemon evolved.
Char Char- Female Infernape Girlfriend for Chim Chim. They work in double battles.
That is all I can think of.

If I'm still allowed to post here, I've nicknamed a LOT of Pokemon in my Heart Gold game. Here's some of my favorites:
Red Rocket (Charizard)
Ace (Rayquaza)
Tyra (Typhlosion)
Draconis (Dragonite)
Kyla (Jolteon)
Sander (Tyranitar)
Darke (Umbreon)
Rainbow (Ho-Oh)
Temporal (Dialga)-from Event
Polygon (Porygon)
Mystic (Lapras)

You CAN use these if you want. I give my permission.

Here's my list:

Peach T. (Breloom) - has 2 meanings: Could be a Mario reference, or the T can stand for her Ability Technician.
Atsuro (Porygon2) - based on a computer savvy SMT:DS character. I won't evolve Porygon2 further, as Analytic will become useless without Trick Room or a Lagging Tail.
Amazon (Nidoqueen) - she's a tough gal, and the name fits her.
Adenine (Reuniclus) - part of your average DNA strand as a nucleic acid. Should there be a male version, it'll be Thymine. ;-)
Celsius (Froslass) - part of a potential Tales spirits theme team.
Triton (Vaporeon) - The Little Mermaid, anyone?
Parvati (Steelix) - I dove into Indian mythology for that name. Alternative was Nagini (based on Harry Potter)
Selene (Musharna) - After the Greek moon goddess. Munna evolves using a Moon Stone. Indeed it fits.
Raine (Altaria) - Snuck a pun there, with how Altaria's wings are cloudlike...

I name all of my Pokémon after music such as artist, album, or song names.

From BW2:
Delgado (Serperior)
Aqualung (Azumarill)
Starships (Unfezant)
ElCamino (Scolipede)
DeepPurple (Cofagrigus)
GooGooDoll (Gothitelle)

I named every one of my Pokemon in my White 2 version. I have a LOT of Pokemon in there (Finished game). Here's a bunch of them:
Batwing (Crobat)- It's a bat, and it has wings. Couldn't think of a better name.
Bramblestar (Serperior)- If any of you have read the Warriors books, you'll know where THIS name comes from.
Wavetwist (Manaphy)-A custom Warriors name, and from here on ALL my Pokemon will be named things like this.
Thunderclan (Raichu)-My FAVORITE Clan in the Warriors series, this Clan is looked down on for several reasons that i won't go into.
Earthclan (Landorus)- I made up this clan, seeing as this one protects the earth and stuff...
Kittypet (Mew)- A kittypet is a house cat, and seeing as Mew looks like a cat, i decided to call it a house cat in Warriors terms.
Leafpool (Virizion)- THIS one has to be my favorite nickname of all, just 'cause i love that cat so much. Leafpool (The cat) suffered SO MUCH in the books. I felt she should be honored w/ a nickname.
Plasmashift (Rotom) It's made of plasma, and it can shift forms. Also a cool Warriors name that the authors SHOULD use.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom