• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

My current Leavanny is named Coriander. Coriander's a spice, Leavanny's a grass type... yeah. I tend to name grass types after different spices. I also named my Braviary after Thor's weapon in Norse mythology, Mjolnir.

I tend to take themes for naming my Pokemon.

For example, I named myself Caesar in my last White run, and I named my Tepig Brutus. From there I started naming all my Pokemon Latin names that are puns off of what they are. I.E. Galeo (helmet) for Shelmet or Canus for Lillipup.

Let's say I'm really into Geography and usually my party's nicknames are related to that. I take into consideration the Pokémon's design and name them after geographic landforms or regions/countries. For exemple, I once had a Hippowdon named Niger, because its type, color pattern that reminds of deserts and its ability Sand Stream. Intense sandstorms are really common in Sahara and the Sahel, both regions where the country Niger is located.

On my current Platinum walkthrough at this point I have:
Infernape name Sahel; a Gastrodron name Sudd; a Rotom named Cairo; a Staraptor named Magreb and a Roselia named Gambia. I still haven't decided my other mon.

but sometimes the names are pretty random and even kinky lol. Better stop here :flinch:

I named my most recent female Snivy after Severa from Fire Emblem, it's something about the personality of Ash's Snivy that reminded me of Severa.

Feraligatr- Aquaclaw
Moltres- Pheonix
Umbreon- Apocolypse
Gyarados- Stupid (in my first file, didn't know magikarp would evolve into gyarados)
Chimchar- Chichar (official son of Chim Chim and Char Char)

just got a Parasect with sweet scent, spore and false swipe. called him Pedosect.

not a very clever one but thought it was a funny one

On a few of my files:
Weavile- Fang, or more recently, Scythe
Bisharp- Dagger
Vulpix- Flare
Golem- Armstrong
Crobat- Radar or Cloud
Houndoom- Cerberus
Gengar- a lot of stuff. Usually Fear, Shade, etc.
Dusknoir- Cloak
Altaria- Wing
Sharpedo- Hazard
Sableye- Havoc or Insanity
Breloom- Life, Health, etc. on account of its massive healing capabilities.
Shuckle- Shield
The list goes on.

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Just restarted my Black 2 ROM, and here are my NEW nicknamed Pokemon:

Hebi (Servine)- Japanese for "Snake" (Pokedex says it's a Grass Snake)

Okami (Houndour)- Japanese for 'Wolf' (it's a black wolf)

Marino (Dewott) - Spanish for "Sea" (It's a water-type, and that name sounds cool.)

Kusa (Grovyle) - Japanese for 'Blade' (It knows the move Leaf Blade)

Mizu (Croconaw)- Japanese for 'Water' (Another water-type...)

Shori (Victini)- Japanese for 'Freedom' (WAS gonna name it Victory, but changed my mind)

Mimi (Audino)- Japanese for 'Ear' (It's hearing is VERY sensitive, so....)

Dendo (Elikid)- Japanese for 'Electric' (i would have done "spark plug", but it was WAY too long)

Watage (Mareep)- Japanese for 'Fluff' (It's a fluffy sheep!)

Doku (Seviper)- Japanese for 'Poison' (Needed an evil-meaning name, so i chose that. Plus, Seviper is a Poison-Type)

Kinoko (Shroomish) -Japanese for 'Mushroom' (I know, i know. It's lame.)

Yatai (Magnemite)- Japanese for 'Float' (It floats using anti-gravity!)

Kaihou (Butterfree)- Japanese for 'Butterfly' (Once again, lame.)

and NO i am not Japanese. i just happen to like looking it up.

Also restarted my Soul Silver ROM. Here are my New Nicknames!-
Current Team:
Chimchar (F) [Monkeyking] (I think it's an AWESOME name I thought up)

Quilava (F) [Kimira] (I think it's a very pretty name, for one of my fave Pokemon on my team)

Combusken (F) [Fire-Red] (Yes, the actual name of the game. I'm that obsessed w/ Pokemon)

Ivysaur (F) [Leaf-Green] (Again, the name of the game. But this time it's 'cause I always choose Bulbasaur in Leaf Green. Always.)

Wartortle (F) [10,000 yrs] (Named 'cause of the Pokedex entry in one of the GBA games)

Leafeon (F) [Earth-Day] (I am a MAJOR 'save the environment' girl, and Leafeon is a a grass-type....)

Others:
Sandshrew (F) [Sandball] (Don't ask. Idk WHY I named her that.)

Aipom (F) [Playful] ('Cause Aipom is playful, and stealing Ash's hat...)

Pachirisu (F) [Sparx] (Taken out of a story I read. It was actually named for a Pikachu, but I figured it could be used for any electric-type.)

Oddish (M) [Oddball] (Don't ask. I have NO idea why I named it that. I think I was running out of names...)

Poliwag (F) [Poli-Swirl] (That. Name. RULES!)

Gulpin (F) [EatSome] (More...?)

Ditto [Daycare] (Use it for breeding)

Bonsly (M) [Crybaby] (It cries....)

Shellder (F) [Shelly] (Pathetic Name, I know!)

(Don't actually have this) Mightyena - Link/Wolf Link because it looks similar to Wolf Link from Zelda Twilight Princess.

i actually used an Animal Crossing: New Leaf town name gen. for my Pokemon's names (Lame, i KNOW!). here are my party Pokemon for White:

Servine [Foxfield] (i thought it was a pretty name for a female Servine).

Panpour [Icelight] (I'm not sure WHY i gave him this name, as i HATE that Pokemon.

Charmeleon [Redbrook] (ALMOST the name of my town in my New Leaf game. this Pokemon is Red, so why not give him that name?)

Porygon [Skydrop] (Also am frustrated w/ this one. Gave it the 1st name i liked.)

Espeon [Sunbrook] (My fave Pokemon in my Party, she has the ability Magic Bounce. her nickname is also the EXACT name of my town in New Leaf.)

Keldeo [Starwind] (Mythical Pokemon, mythical name. Too bad it can't be in Resolute Forme in White.)

Cyndaquil (F) Cydney

I like this one because its named after sydney which is one place I have always wanted to go too.

Ditto - Poke-Prime

Don't ask I just thing of the transformers every time I get a ditto.

I usually have a name theme for my Pokemon each game, but these are just some of my favorites:

Isamu: Samurott (get it Isamu the Samurott).
Sayuri: Lilligant.
Viktor and Victoria: Stoutlands
Olly and Claire: Solosises
Tesla: Chinchou
Shizuka: Zweilous
Barnabas: Gyrados
Hades: Gengar
Liebealt: Hypno
Kenzaburou: Seedot
Ken'ichi: Lucario
Shou: Tropius
Cryogenic "Ryo": Vanilluxe
Trudy: Trubbish
Barnes, Alice, and Kasumi: Castforms
Adelaide: Litwick
Liesel and Charlotte "Liesel and Lottie": Lampents
Haruki: Chandelure
Tsubasa: Ninjask
Tsuyoshi: Excadrill
Hayato: Unfezant
Kimiko: Gothitelle
Lacy and Choukichi: Cinccinos
Chakrasana: Baltoy
Shavasana: Xatu
Padmasana: Medicham
Zeus: Zekrom

I'm sure there's more I just can't remember them.

Last edited:
I have nicknamed a level 1 Giratina from Sinjoh Ruins Neutrino because Cynthia says "This is the pattern that represents Giratina, the ruler of the world that is on the opposite side of ours, the world of antimatter..." in Sinjoh Ruins and neutrinos are made from colliding matter with antimatter.

I usually give my pokes really pompous sounding names like Wadsworth (the slowbro) and Reginald (the Kingdra) my favourite nickname though if my Morbidly obese snorlax called "&aDietCoke"

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom