• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

The nickname of my Serperior in Black 2 (I believe (it was in a gen V game anyway) ) was Slithers.

I always find myself naming Pokemon.
These are my favorite nicknames:

Celerity- Manectric female
Emi - Rapidash female
Flint - Delphox
Kunichi - Nicada female
Sekai - Future Umbreon female
Napoleon - Sceptile male (that was my brother's idea)
Firewing - Blaziken female (my brother's idea too)
Nightmare - my future Darkrai

For years I would name my starter Pokemon either Zippy or Zippo, when I first started playing the games. For some reason I always found those two names catchy.

I just scored a Snivy on the GTS. Time to start breeding and seeing if I can get the full set of starters (abilities irrelevant). The first baby has a top IV of 28 on both Attack and Sp.Atk, so what do I name him? "Maxiv 28".

I put him on the GTS and literally five minutes later somebody has a Treecko for it. Gotta teach the thing Dragon Pulse.

I gave my Fletchling a stupidly cliché nickname: Tsubasa. :banghead:

I always struggle with naming female Pokémon. When I caught her I was flicking through a fashion magazine so I just picked a model's name at random: Tsubasa Masuwaka. Only after entering the name did I realise link.

Most of my X mons had generic names (François the Pikachu, for example). Others, however...

~Delphox (M) - Sirius, after a character in Harry Potter. Sirius was a canine animagus, so...
~Meowstic (M) - Soren, after a character in the Tellian Fire Emblem games. His demeanor/color scheme fits a male Meowstic perfectly. Originally I was going to add a "nya" to the end, but I didn't.
~Espurr (F) - Chen, after a character from Touhou who is a nekomata. Soon, she'll evolve, once I get to training her...
~Floette - Viridi, a character in Kid Icarus Uprising. Yep, I went there.
~Vivillon - When I catch or hatch one, I always name it after a Texas city, since it possesses the Modern pattern in its final stage as I'm from Texas. I had one named Dallas, but she's with a friend now. (edit: I kinda abandoned that plan, due to how common the Modern pattern is)

Last edited:
I named Gardevoir Giselle because she reminded me so much of 'Giselle' from 'Enchanted' during the 'How Does She Know' performance with her dress that's always billowing in the wind.

Because Drifblim is 'big' and is used by Fantina, I called my Drifblim 'Fat Tina'. I thought it as hilarious.

Speaking of Fantina, where the hell is she from? In every version except French and Japanese, she speaks broken ___ and French, while in Japanese, its left ambiguous with just broken Japanese. French uses English.

Girl you from Kalos or wut?

One of my Raichu will be called Hanbei after a character in Pokemon Conquest, and my Mismagius will be called Aversa after a character in Fire Emblem Awakening. And I will call my Rotom Noire after another character in Fire Emblem Awakening because she chants Blood and Thunder! and is the daughter of a dark mage named Tharja so Rotom makes sense since it is a Ghost/Electric type.

Most of the nicknames I use for my Pokemon are based on tv show characters I like, or from Movies, some special ones from my own Family (such as my shiny female Mienshao in W2). I finally got into the habit of nicknaming every Pokemon I catch (the only times I forgotten was when I had to leave the house - and didn't have time to give it one).

TV show "Meerkat Manor" [yes I am a huge fan of the show] is probably my biggest inspiration for nicknames. Sophie & Mozart are two that I use a lot especially for the same two Pokemon that are always on my teams,
male Patrat/Watchog takes Mozart
female Mienfoo/Mienshao takes Sophie

I will also use many of the other names too - I tend to give them to Pokemon based on Mustelids (such as Furret, Linoone, Sneasel, Zangoose, Buizel, Floatzel, other Mienfoo, Mienshao, Patrat, Watchog), some of the names are (in spoiler)
Flowers, Yosserian, Tosca, Daisy, Mitch, Axel, Cazanna, Nikita, Wilson, Zorro, Lola, Maybelline, & Zaphod

What about my non-mustelid Pokemon? - I will rely on other movies or other TV shows, I try to give them a nickname based on the animal the Pokemon is based on & gender too. Sometimes I will run out of ideas for some I will just use names of some of my favorite real world people (mainly sports).

My male Espurr/Meowstic I nicknamed him Milo (from the movie "Milo & Otis")
My male Fennekin/Braixen/Delphox I called him Roman (from the movie "Le Roman de Renart")
A female Bibarel I used on my first Y team after defeating E4/Champ, I called Marlene (after the female otter in the TV show "Penguins of Madgascar")

For Examples, in my two teams:
Y (storyline finished, defeated E4/Champ):
• Roman, male Delphox - nicknamed from the movie "Le Roman de Renart"
• Sophie, female Mienshao - from "Meerkat Manor"
• Danny, male Lucario - I couldn't come up with one, so I named it after my real-life nickname
• Victor, male Vaporeon - named him after one of my friends
• Sigþórsson (Y game Sigthorsson - since þ can't be used on game), male Sylveon - named him after my favorite Icelandic football player
• Mozart, male Watchog - from "Meerkat Manor"

Current Y Team (a different copy not a restart)
• Renard, male Delphox - named him after the French word for fox
• Sophie, female Mienshao - from "Meerkat Manor"
• Zaphod, male Furret - from "Meerkat Manor"
• Flowers, female Delcatty - from "Meerkat Manor" I know that Delcatty isn't a meerkat, but I liked that nickname, so I kept it
• Mozart, male Watchog - from "Meerkat Manor"
• Fiona, female Skuntank - I think it was from the show "So Weird" (I think that's what it was called)

I'm going to reread all post from page 1 and probably - copy & paste - many names down on notepad to use on future teams, I know along the way I'll find a few interesting ones.

Last edited:
I name my Pokemon after ancient Gods. My Blastoise is nicknamed Neptune, a Poliwrath I named Poseidon, Flygon I named Hephaestus, a Litleo I named Aker (An Ancient Egyptian God), my Lucario is named Zoroaster (I know he wasn't a God but I thought it fit), and another Pokemon I named Vulcan (The Roman equivalent of Hephaestus).

Hmmm, one of the ones I'm proudest of is my Ivysaur. His name is Sauron. I'm a big LOTR fan. Also, I'm a Star Wars fan. I named my Lucario Skywalker because this is what I hear when I hear those names:

LUKE-ario
ivy-SAURON

I love giving them nicknames. It just makes you care more about the team, I think.
Some of my favorites:

Hippowdon = Titan
Garchomp = Thresher
Absol = Harbinger
Nidoking = Hazard
Exploud = Dubstomp (I couldn't help it)

i need some help thinking of a nickname for both my Mewtwo and my Zygarde. idk what to call them. it HAS to be cool, NOT weird.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom