• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

All Castforms I breed from this point on are named after places in my country;
Addlestone, Woking, Surrey, Guildford, Brighton.

When I get a shiny one I'm naming it Chertsey.

The nicknames of my Pokemon are simply that - nicknames. They're shortened version of their species (or, in the case of a Pokemon that evolves, of the first stage of th eveolution [excluding my Blastoise, Toise]).
For example -

Oshawott - Oshy
Nidoran - Nido
Hoothoot - Hoot
Mudkip - Kip
Lucario - Luc
...and so on...

I like to give my team Pokemon colorful nicknames if I can...

Gardevoir: Ardent - Adjective for an enthusiastic or passionate person
Flygon: Desert Rose
Talonflame: Flambeau - a burning torch used in a procession
Heliolisk: Frilly
Blastoise: Buoy
Aurorus: Borealis - after the Aurora Borealis or the Northern Lights
Ninetales: Foxy Loxy - after the Chicken Little character
Sawsbuck: Solstice - Named after the longest and shortest days of the year
Swanna: Valkyrie - named after the Norse war maidens who took the fallen to Valhalla. In some legends they take the form of swan maidens and wear cloaks made of swan feathers.
Zoroark: Slylock - based on the main character in "Slylock Fox & Comics for Kids" comic strip
Lucario: Stalin - Double entendre on the Russian word for Steel and the Russian dictator Joseph Stalin

As a side note, I love how in pokemon games you can't name your pokemon Hitler but you can name them every other ruthless dictator that ever lived. I once traded my friend a female Haunter name Che Guevara. She uses her all of the time. xD

i need some help thinking of a nickname for both my Mewtwo and my Zygarde. idk what to call them. it HAS to be cool, NOT weird.
You could call your Zygarde… Scitalis.
It's a serpent with such a marvelous appearance that it stuns the viewer.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for Medieval Bestiary creatures.
http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast271.htm

Last edited:
Was breeding for Switcheroo Klefki and got two with the desired IVs: one brother-and-sister duet.

Their names contain "ring" as Klefki is a key ring Pokémon. The female is Ringlet (ever heard of the royal ringlet hairstyle?), her little brother is Ring-yu (pun on Ryu, after Ninja Gaiden's Ryu Hayabusa).

Now that I've gotten in to Y I've got a whole new batch of Pokemon. Being as predictable as I am I have all my Pokemon French names whose meanings all correlated to the Pokemon itself (there are a few exceptions).

They are:

Archaimbaud: Greninja
Perenelle: Meowstic
Arnaud: Talonflame
Claribel: Vivillon
Jessamine: Aromatisse
Trinette: Florges
Gaspard: Swirlix
Jacques: Eevee
Gregoire: Eevee
Adelaide Eevee
Adrien: Zoroark
Guillaume: Phantump
Arber: Venusaur
L'Angley: Lucario
Jasper: Sableye
Apolline: Diggersby
Victoire: Noivern
Penelope: Salamence
Perrine: Tyranitar
Genevieve: Goodra
Georgette: Abamasnow
Gala: Garchomp
Moira: Ylveltal
Morticia: Gengar
Onfroi: Medicham
Zacharie: Zweilous
Aimeri: Nincada
Hedvige: Aegislash
Gemma: Carbink
Orabelle: Chimeco
Colyn: Pangoro
Aluin: Hariyama
Karcsi: Heliolisk
Zephyrine: Drifblim
Harbin: Scolipede
Eulalie:Malamar
Colette: Binacle
Maude: Snubbull
Algernon: Chingling
Zola: Dragalge

Phew that's it for now.

I just named a Mr. Mime "Inabox" I dont know if anyone has said that already as I have not read all 104 pages of names.

Oh and I named one of my female character "Lover" and her nic name "My Lover". This really changes the dialog in the game, it is rather comical now.

Dom

Last edited:
so i managed to get an Anticipation Eevee (male) on Pokemon X. i bred it with a Ditto, and i got a FEMALE Eevee with ANTICIPATION! so now i have a female Sylveon. no nickname yet, but i'm thinking of nicknaming her 'Miracle'. my MALE Delphox is nicknamed 'Mystic', and i got a LOT of Pokemon off Wonder Trade that i can't nickname :(. some are really cool, too. like, my friend gave me that male Anticipation Eevee, and i REALLY wanted to nickname it, but since it's traded, i couldn't. oh! i got a MALE Magician Fenniken that i hatched. i'm gonna nickname it 'Magic'. but right now my 3DS is like, dead, so i'm charging it. by the way, does ANYONE have a Friend Safari with Ditto/Eevee in it? preferably Eevee. i have enough room for 70 more friends (i think). 2 normal Safari's, yet NO Eevee! if anyone has one, please tell me and we can exchange FC.

i now have these Pokemon Nicknamed:
lvl 44 Hidden Ability Sylveon - Miracle (f)
lvl 1 H.A. Fennekin - Magic (m)
lvl 1 H.A. Elekid - Zap (f) (gone)
lvl 62 starter Delphox - Mystic (m)
lvl 10 Oddish - Leafy (m)
lvl 30 Safari Dedenne - Sparx (f)
lvl 30 Safari Corsala - Coral (f) (gone)
lvl 1 Volt Tackle Pichu - Star (f)
lvl 31 Meowstic - Skye (m)
lvl 31 H.A. Gogoat - Kylee (f)
Lvl 31 H.A. Meowstic - Snowbelle (f)
lvl 30 H.A. Ninetales - Firefox (f)
lvl 30 H.A. Braixen - Wonder (f)
lvl 1 Larvesta - Firebug (m)
lvl 1 H.A. Froakie - Protein (f)

Last edited:
Many of my Pokemon are traded so I can't rename them. I got a french Pokemon, but sadly it changed it name when it evolved.

These are my own:

Heliolisk - Tesla (I must teach this Pokemon a destruction ray)
Delphox - Kaikii (from Japanese 怪奇 and 奇異)
Talonflame - Hinokaze
Yveltal - Khurbn (I think that means 'destruction')
Gogoat - Life (has 3 techniques that heal HP and one that strengthen his body)

JUST beat the Elite 4, so i'm in the Friend Safari, looking for Hidden Ability Pokemon to Nickname. only got a Slugma so far. gonna name it Sluggy.

Because I liked Fire Emblem Awakening so much I've gone with a bit of a naming theme.

Chestnaught- Kellam because he's a tank and nobody seems to care about him.
Delphox- Riken
Greninja- Gangrel
Talonflame- Cynthia
Tyranitar- Frederick who unfortunaitly has not lived up to his namesake
Blaziken- Chrom
Dragalge- Gerome
Mawile- Tharja
Togekiss- Brady
Umbreon- Gaius
Ampharos- Nowi
Mandibuzz- Aversa
Xerneas- Naga
Yveltal- Grima
Zygarde- Tiki

Other names:
Absol- ShiroShinobi my favorite nickname so far.
Venusaur- Bud
Other Greninja- Bubba
Klefki- Ringo
Sylveon-Hilda
Leafeon- Hilbert
Espeon- Lucas
Ninetails- Julia
Jolteon- Yang
Other Umbreon- Blake

I have every intention of doing two RWBY Teams made up of Eeveelutions. One for team RWBY, and one for Team JNPR.

My current Pokemon Gold Team is:

Bayleef- Pod
Natu- Alphred
Flaaffy- Mary
Furret- Scout
Pineco- Wormstrom

I get inspiration to nickname my Pokemon from the pokedex entries or references.

so i started a NEW Pokemon X file, and these are my current nicknames:
lvl 32 Venusaur - Shay
lvl 9 Male Furfrou - Snowball
lvl 27 Female Furfrou - Snowbell
lvl 13 Pikachu - Zap
lvl 5 Pikachu - Pika
lvl 15 Nincada - Buggy
lvl 17 Onix - Rocky
lvl 15 Cubone - Bone-Bone
lvl 15 Mawile - Snaps
lvl 21 Aerodactyl - Snapjaw
lvl 25 Tauros - Taurus (Zodiac Sign)

when i get FLY, i'm gonna nickname the rest of my Pokemon.

EDIT: i now have 3 badges and CAN get my 4th, just postponing it.

Last edited:
In my replay of the original Red version I've got some good ones:

- Bananaboy the Primeape - just thought it was appropriate for a monkey.
- Porky the Raichu - I caught him as a Pikachu, and we all know the original Pikachu needed a workout.
- Hypster the Hypno - my favourite nickname ever.
- Nurple the Jigglypuff - because some crazy critics of Pokemon back in the 90s thought Jigglypuff represented... a nipple. Yup.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom