• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

These are some examples of Pokémon with nicknames that I think are witty. Between brackets is explained what the nickname comes from.

1. Exploud: Dolby (the company that makes sound systems)
    Sandslash: Durin (the spiky Berry which is based on the spiky durian fruit)
    Magcargo: Aval (lava and Avalanche)
    Slowbro: Sundae (Sunday is a lazy day for me and the Shellder on Slowbro's tail looks like the Sundae ice cream)
    Hitmonlee: Bruce (Bruce Lee)

Last edited:
i like to keep themes with my nicknames even though i only started giving nicknames last generation.
in unova my pokemon all had shortened versions of their japanese names as their nicknames since i orignally learned the japanese names of the unova pokemon and didnt like the english ones, so my Reuniclus became Rankuru, my Lilligant became Doredia, and my Stoutland became Mura.
With X and Y I tried to adapt a french/art theme but im gonna go back to the name rater soon and change a few lol. Like since this region is all about beauty and art, my Delphox is named Velino; a shortened version of the fashion designer, Valentino.

just recently (as in a couple weeks) i found my FIRST WILD SHINY. it was a cute little Teddiursa, and i caught it with ONE Dusk Ball. since i was so AMAZED that i found an ACTUAL shiny, i nicknamed her Amazed, and put an Everstone on her. an Emerald Green Ursaring just doesn't look cute. so it's staying a Teddiursa. it's SO CUTE that way.

When I bred a Bulletproof Chespin, I named her Amazon after a forest going by that name. As a bonus, Amazon warriors are usually female, and this Chespin is female, so...

Chansey - Eggman. Cmon. It had to happen eventually
Alakazam - Cereal Eater. Was going to be Cereal Killer, but It wouldn't let me put that.
Victreebel - Dat Grass
Raichu - Chu-baka
Lucario - FusRoDah-mon
Ditto - Your Pokemon
Lapras - Lap-ness-mon
Goodra - Doctor Goo
Sawsbuck (Shiny) - Oh Deer!
Yvetal - Why

Last edited:
When I bred an Analytic Porygon, I named it "Quack.exe"

Porygon2, which I am planning to evolve it into, looked like a duck, and it's a computer program, so...

I give my pokemon silly nicknames most of the time, or if it's shiny or special in some way I give it a fancy nickname.

Poliwag: PoliSWAG
Rhyhorn: Youtube
Dewott: Sheldon
Horsea (shiny): Aquatic

I had a battle opponent who named his Ferrothorn Butthurt. Pretty fitting for something covered in iron barbs. :XD:

I recently caught a female Poison Heal Breloom in the Friend Safari. I almost named it "Breloomurder". (But to really do that I'd need to equip her with Substitute and Drain Punch. And maybe Spore and a Toxic Orb.)

I once caught a Female Geodude and called her "Geochick"

I currently have a Dark-Type team in Pokemon Y
An Umbreon (m) named "Deimos" (Deimos is Panic in Greek and Latin)
A Murkrow (f) named "Raven" (I tend to mix up crows and ravens)
An Absol (f) named "Reaper" (Based of a Creepypasta called "Absol", and I love Creepypasta's, Absol and the dead, so it seemed like a fitting name)
A Zorua (m) named "Numb" (After a Zoroark chara from a friend of mine, how she ever got up with that name...)
A Poochyena (m) named "Grimm" (Also from the Creepypasta "Absol")
And a Houndour (m) named "Devil" ('Cuz Houndour and Houndoom remind me of the Devil)

I named my Delphox (m) "Flame" (FIRE TYPE), my Venusaur (m) "Hana" (that's flower in Japanese) and my Lucario (m) "Luc" (because it's just shorter)

I just stared a HeartGold run, naming my male Chikorita, soon to be Meganium, "Sage". If it were to be a girl, "Primrose" or "Juniper" would've been my choice.
I plan on having a Mamoswine which i will name "Holly" if a girl, or "Heath" if a boy.
My female Ninetales will be called "McKenna" or "Aiden" if its a boy.
I'll call my Politoed "Mabel" if a girl or "Glade" if a boy.
My Honchkrow will be "Raven" if a girl and "Robin" if a boy.
My last Pokemon, Ursaring, will be named "Bernadette" if its a girl, or "Max" if its a boy

Others included "Arctic" the Glaceon, "Jett" the Empoleon, "Skyla" the Staraptor", "Blaze" the Rapidash……

After breeding a male Roselia (didn't take long), I named him Descole. Once he becomes a Roserade, the name will become more fitting.

And yes, the name's from the Professor Layton series. Been playing a lot of it recently...

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom