• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

In my current playthrough of Pokémon FireRed Version, my current party members' nicknames are:

Ivysaur - Basil (a green herb)
Raichu - Sherbet (a sometimes-yellow sweet)
Flareon - Paprika (a red spice - yes, my core three Pokémon are all named after flavourings)
Gyarados - Tsunami (one of the things wild Gyarados cause when in a rage)
Snorlax - Grizzly (because Snorlax resembles a bear)
Aerodactyl - Terra (both a pun on "Pteranodon" and in reference to Terra being Rock-type)

In other games I tend to get creative when nicknaming Pokémon, whether it be group naming themes or individual wonders of creativity.

Some lovely names for my comp doubles team:

-Heliolisk: Frizard (Frillneck lizard, and electricity makes your hair frizzy)
-Vaporeon: Acheron (Has something to do with a river)
-Kangaskahn: Mama Roo (Kind of obvious)
-Rotom: Voltergeist (It's a ghost that possesses stuff and is electric-type)
-Meowstic: Sigmund (In honour of Mr. Freud)
-Goodra: Yogou (IT LOOKS LIKE YOGURT WHEN SHINY I'M NOT JOKING)

Firstly, *ahem* new here, first post!

Secondly, in honor of TPP I figured I'd start up my own Gen II replay (going with Silver, my first G2 game), and I currently have four Pokemon in my party (just after the first battle against the rival (who I named Raven).

My party:
Cyndaquil - Pyro (as in pyromaniac)
Rattata - Twitch (mice are kinda twitchy, eh?)
Geodude - Gabbro (a type of igneous rock)
Hoothoot - Strix (after Strix Struma from the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series)

Torrent- Male Empoleon (Water name)
Talon- Female Dragonite (It has them)
Blaze- Male Shiny Charizard (Fiery name)
Pixie- Female Sylveon (Girliest pokemon ever)
Anubis- Female Lucario (It looks like him)
Umbra- Female Zoroark (Named it after getting Nocturne in ARAM)
Gracia- Shaymin (Gracidia Flowers)
Eon- Latias (Eon pokemon)
Blizzard- Female Weavile (Ice name)
Elektra- Female Pikachu (Elektra from Marvel)
Orchid- Female shiny Zorua (No idea, just sounded pretty)
Carbon- Male Aggron (Mineral)
Zephyr- Male Talonflame (Wind name)
Yggdrasil- Xerneus (You find it as a tree and it gives life so Tree of Life)
Sandstorm- Female Flygon (Because)
Flufflepuff- Female Swirlix (PFUDOR)
BigFatFatty- Snorlax (He is one)

Last edited:
I made an error on my previous post regarding my Aerodactyl's nickname. Her name is actually "WYVERNA", since she slightly resembles a wyvern. In mythology, a wyvern resembles a European dragon but lacks front limbs or arms.

OFF-TOPIC: Actually, that kind of makes me think that Aerodactyl could work as a Rock/Dragon-type.

ON-TOPIC: My party in Sapphire, before I erased the file, consisted of:

Marshtomp - SKIPPER, after mudskipper, a kind of fish (I think).
Kirlia - ANAIS, a beautiful-sounding French name (pronounced an-eye-YEESE)
Skarmory - RAZOR, due to his razor-sharp wings
Electrike - LEAH, which sounds like a feminine version of "Leo"
Sableye - GEM, due to the gems covering his body
Slugma - SCORCHER, because fire hot!

I also had an Anorith, and I was going to back-track and catch a Shroomish, but the fact that the in-game clock had stopped prompted me to send the Game Pak to Nintendo for repairs (which aren't cheap in Australia). :uhoh:

I'm not sure if I'm the best with nicknames, but here are some I've used. Some are more clever than others.

Delphox: Firefox (My web browser! :p)

Venusaur: Blossom, Bloom, maybe even Flora once? (The bud it has as a Bulbasaur blooms into a flower.)

Aegislash: Masamune (After the sword Frog uses in Chrono Trigger.)

Swanna: Cygnia, Aquarelle (I had a hard time coming up with a nickname for it in X. I used Cygnia at first since cygnus is the name of the genus swans belong to, but Aquarelle sounds better. Coincidentally, aquarelles are a type of watercolor painting.)

Florges: Flora, Antheia (Another Pokemon I used in my X playthrough. I named it Flora originally for obvious reasons, but after I evolved it I renamed it Antheia since according to Bulbapedia, the line may be inspired by that Greek goddess.)

Flygon: Toph, Myrm (I named a female Flygon I used in Pearl after Toph from ATLA. In my X playthrough, I caught a male Trapinch and struggled to find a name for it. The line is based on antlions, and I noticed that they belonged to the family Myrmeleontidae. Wyrm is a word for dragons, so why not combine those two somehow?)

Pikachu: Zappa, Electra, and probably other horrible electric puns.

Gardevoir: Hikari (Japanese name meaning light)

Gallade: Link (from Zelda)

Metagross; Metaknight (from Kirby)

Kyogre: Sapphire (Yes, I actually did this.)

Blaziken: Phoenix (Well, it is a fiery bird...)

Empoleon: Mumble (from Happy Feet)

Charizard: Dragonfire (It was dragon like and I was playing FireRed at a time I was into Winx Club for some reason. The 4Kids dub called Bloom's power the Dragon Fire so yeah...)

Weavile: Vira (It was a female dark type and Vira sounds similar to virus.)

Weezing: Poisonwind (Um...it's poisonous and gaseous?)

Vaporeon: Ariel (Hey, it does looks kinda like a mermaid. :p)

Lapras: Nessie, Oceania

Milotic: Baikal (After Lake Baikal in Russia.)

Stunfisk: T-urdfish (Because the censors in X would not let me name it Turdfish.)

Panpour: Cali (I was considering using it on my team in X but I scrapped it. Short for California, its evolution looks like a surfer dude to me. Do not question my logic.)

Meganium: Gaia, Gardenia (Gaia is an earth goddess and Gardenia is a flower that also contains the word garden?)

Blastoise: Leonardo (Pfft, TMNT.)

Swampert: Everglades, Skippy

Starmie: Stella, Cosmo

Gastrodon: Squishee

Staraptor: Windstar, Gale. (Flying type with the word star in its name? And well Gale is...wind...poof.)

Girafarig: Grimmer (A character from an anime called Monster. He's a tall guy and the fandom jokes about him being a giraffe.)

Infernape: Tarzan

Roserade: Rosacea (A skin disease that coincidentally sounds like it's a flower related to roses...)

Pidgeot: Superwing, Bobo (Superwing was my beloved overleveled Pidgeot from Yellow. In a playthrough of Fire Red, I used a Pidgeot named Bobo because of an in-joke my cousin and I have about a bad translation of Pokemon Green.)

...And that's just off the top of my head. As you can imagine, I love nicknaming Pokemon. ^_^

Last edited:
Guess I will have a try.

My first nickname I think was Inari for a Ninetales (Inari is the god/ess of fertility and his/er messenger are the foxes)
Others are:
Icarus for my male Togetic (he is not really an angel, but he has wings)
Chamomile for my female Snivy (a plant and Snivy seems so calm to me, also I think her nature is calm)
Koi to male Seaking (koi is the Japanese carp, rich it was based off)
Mae to my SS female Ninetales (reference to Tamamo-no-Mae, a demon fox who turns into a beautiful women to lure powerful men)
Mei to my female Purloin (named after my cat Mei, she likes to steal things like purloin in its pokedex entry)
And other Pokemon I named after my K-Idols.

My turn?

Leon --------- Talonflame
D-Knight ----- Dragon Knight
Avion --------- Lucario
BeatsPaper --- Scizor
BladeWorks -- Mega Scizor
Jynx --------- Mega Mawile
Valor --------- Garchomp
Flameheart --- Cinccino
Cuddles ------ Slowbro
Swagpert ----- Swampert
Trolololol ------ Klefki
Shockingly ---- Rotom-W
Just1Byte ---- Jolteon
Stark --------- Magnezone
Tubs --------- Gengar
Venustrocity - Venusaur
Milotic -------- Toxicroak
Bug ---------- Forretress
Mah Leg! ---- Conkelldurr
TheBeast! --- Dramanitan

All OU competitive Pokemon. :cool:

On my X playthrough, I just picked Charmander from Sycamore and -- guess what? -- it's a girl!

I shall call her (drum roll please) "Abby". ;)

Actually, I should make it "Abby K", but that can wait until Camphrier.

I never give my Pokémon random nicknames and I only nickname my first six. I have two methods of nicknaming.

I either do an anagram like I did in Platinum:
Piplup ---> Pulpip
Eevee ---> Eeeve (I know, it's horrible. Should've gone with Veeee or something)
Riolu ---> Lurio
Togepi ---> Gopeti
Spiritomb ---> Pitriboms
Giratina ---> Tanigair

Or I'll do what I did in X, which is use a part of the name:
Fennekin ---> Fen
Fletchling ---> Fletch
Flabébé ---> Bébé
Caterpie ---> Cat
Squirtle ---> Squirt
Honedge ---> Hone

I'm boring lol

My team of my Y playthrough:

Aegislash: Edge
Talonflame: Arrow
Dragalge: Stillair
Greninja: Swift
Absol: Savio
Heliolisk: Econ

Nicknames don't only have to mean something, they also have to sound good.

I think these sound good, okay! D:<

Lucario ♂: Anubis from the Egyptian Jackal God (Lucario I got from Tower of Mastery)
Greninja ♂: Raijikaru (Froakie I got at the start of my journey)
Charizard ♀: Charité French for Love, which I do love her, she is my little girl ^^ (Charmander ♀ I got from Prof Sycamore)
Yveltal: Yersinia from Yersinia Pestis the black plague which killed 1/3 of the European population in a few years time, Yveltal embodies this deadly event in so many ways. (Yveltal I caught before defeating Team Flare)

Greninja ♂: Kageshio Kage as in Shadow and Shio Tide (5IV Protean Froakie I bred for battling online and whatnot)
Garchomp ♂: Sabrefang Sabre is a kind of sword and Fang as in tooth. (5IV Gible I bred for battling online and whatnot)
Charizard ♂: Hellrazor Hell and Razor, a play on Hell raiser which is a trouble maker. (6IV Charmander I bred for battling online and whatnot)
Charizard ♀: Cinderella a play on both the European fairy tail character and the fact cinder is also a glowing ember from something that has been burned. (6IV Charmander I bred)

Another one I just remembered: on my latest Platinum rerun, I named my Empoleon 'Cobalt'.

Because 1) it sounds cool, 2) the element cobalt is a metal and Empoleon is a Steel-type, 3) said metal has a dark blue colour, like Empoleon

This is one of my favorite nicknames in the history of Paleo's nicknaming history :3

And I just came up with a nickname for my second Talonflame:

Spitfire

Ahwyeah! \m/

Last edited:
EarthBound- Treecko (I was playing EarthBound at the time)
Mirage- Ralts (it fits Gardevoir)
Esp- Espeon (part of her name)
Fluffy- Ampharos (it WAS fluffy as a Mareep and a Flaaffy)
Falchion- Aegislash (after the main sword in many Fire Emblem games)
Bird Jesus- Pidgey (from Twitch Plays Pokémon)
Lord Helix- Omanyte (from Twitch Plays Pokémon)
LazorGatr- Totodile (from Twitch Plays Pokémon)

I just stick with basic names, but they all begin with the letter that the pokemon's type begins with:
Xerneas: Xena (I gave it a girl name :D)
Gogoat (F): Grace
Aurorus (F): Amara
Lucario (M): Lucas
Talonflame (M): Talen
Absol (F): Angel

But I can't find a good one for my female Delphox :p

I don't have any truly awesome Pokemon nicknames myself at the moment (either on my Y main or my X nuzlocke) but I did stumble across this while on a Google search:
New best Pokemon nickname: Autobot - - Pokemon Memes and Funny Pics - Pokestache
pokestache.com_9244_1387934786.jpg
Best. Nickname. Ever.

Sableye (m): Quartz
Ferrothorn (m): Durin
Mawile (f): Futakuchi (two mouths)

Delphox (m): Shaman

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom