• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Had a Gardevoire named Kyrie in White.
Ran Y with a Gardevoire name Elieson.

Also my favorite is a Mawile named Makoto because she reminded me of my Ronin in 'Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness' named Makoto... who was named such because she reminded me of Makoto from 'Love Hina'.

XD

So somebody on the GTS had a female Vulpix (in exchange for a male Vulpix) with the attached message saying "pls w/ Mega stone". Ten minutes later, I've bred a male Vulpix and and traded it off for their female. What does the fox say?

I named it "MegasCantGTS".

I personally just name my Pokemon after Anime/Video game characters, or just names that I think sound cool. (examples: Hadaj the Noibat and Zafar the Zoroark)

I don't really do clever nicknames... HOWEVER, I have gotten some weird/funny ones through wonder trade that were clever! xD

Like, I got a Pinsir named "Fear Itself", and I think it was an Eggsecute named "Eggzema"
And my friend got a Magneton named Magneeto, and a Magikarp named Nicki Minaj.

..and I know I sent out in a wonder trade a male slowpoke that I named "Nipples".
I also named a Miltank Nipples and sent it out via wonder trade as well....

Bred another sibling duo, this time a pair of Mantine. The brother, who has Water Absorb, is named Mantel, while his Swift Swim sister is named Raine. As you can tell, both names are based on "manta ray." :XD:

Nickname a Hawlucha after a masked wrestler, Like Sin Cara, Rey Mysterio, El Generico (now Sami Zayn), any Mexican Luchador
I onced nicknamed a Trubbish "Basura" which means "Trash" in Spanish

I've got good ones and not-so-good ones:

From Pokemon Y
Umberto - male Umbreon - a near anagram with the only difference is a 't' and an 'n'
Bethany - female Bellossom - a name sounding similar to 'botany'
Hilda - female Hawlcha - referencing my current Pokemon Black playthrough with Hilda, also reference to the Japanese name Touko, "fighting-girl".
Jeanne - female Pikachu -> Raichu - from Ash's Jean-Luc Pikachu in the Electric Tales, feminized the 'Jean'.
Rosalina - female Ralts -> Gardevoir - from Super Mario Galaxy; because they both look like elegant celestial princesses.

From Pokemon Black
Zephyr - male Snivy - from Fire Emblem Elibe
Thany - female Tirtouga - also from Fire Emblem Elibe

Last edited:
First of all, this is my first post on this site (keep ahold of your cookies)

I try to make people sigh or facepalm when i nickname. Or just something i like the sound of. The latter especially applies to character naming. Most common character names include Vuxs and Uurak

Anyways, i always name my slakoths bread (bread is loafing around) :D
I named my squirtle squirbo
I named my rayquayza magikarp
There are others, but i can't think of them right now (last 30 minutes of an overnight shift)

Last edited:
I'm now tempted to assemble a team of Arcanine, Houndoom, Mightyena, Stoutland, Furfrou (and Manectric) and name them all "Doge".

Last edited:
Gogoat- Greyhound

You know, because there's a Gogoat transportation service in Lumiose City that runs just like a bus line and all, sort of like Greyhound. :)

Last edited:
I'm now tempted to assemble a team of Arcanine, Houndoom, Mightyena, Stoutland, Furfrou and name them all "Doge".

Add a Granbull and you're done!
Also adds some Fighting resistance to your Doge team

Such doge
Much awesome
Wow

I was thinking about forming a team with nicknames based on mental disorders:

Pantophobia: Hydreigon
Anorexia: (Mega) Mawile
Paranoia: Shuckle
Insomnia: Scolipede
Pyromania: Victini
Dysthymia: Greninja

I just named my Mawile after Taiga from Toradora! (They're both so damn cute!)

↑ This. This in so many ways.

I ended up catching Mewtwo in a premier ball and named him Nrvnqsr Chaos. I then proceeded to start a new game with a Froakie named Shiki. Yay obscure references!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom