• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I also once named a Ditto Justin after I thought I was naming my character when I was like 3. xD

Every single pokemon game that I have owned since Red has had the standard rock pokemon being named Rocky. This gen, I decided to mix it up. I named a Rogganrolla I caught Balboa. =D

I have a Raichu named Todoroki -- in the anime Daiya no Ace, there is an electrifying hitter named Todoroki Raichi so I named my raichu after him

How about this bad pun for a nickname
Onix - Unex (Onix-pected; Unexpected)

If you were to reuse the Hydranoid nickname, do it with a Hydregion

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering naming Shiny Mega Gardevoir 'YourFuneral' since she's got the black dress but nah it's kind of tacky. D:

I suck at nicknames. I usually just end up naming my Pokemon after my favorite characters. For example my dragons usually have a Targaryen name such as my shiny Bagon, Viserys.

When I was breeding Beldum finding a 3 perfect IVs, I gave them a nickname of MetaProject 1, MetaProject 2 etc. Until I got MetaProject 22 and got my 3 perfect IVs.

Named my Yveltal "Bacon Bird" after what the person at Walmart said when I asked if they have the Pokemon games for the 3DS.

"So do you want the Bacon Bird version or Popsicle Horse version?"

I've nicknamed quite a few Pokémon in my Heart Gold game (taking a break from X/Y). here are some of them:
Entei Volcano (it's the Volcano Pokémon, and "Volcanos erupt when it barks")
Torterra Twigs (Sounded cuter as a Turtwig)
Feraligatr Percy (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, anyone?)
Togepi Misty (Misty was Togepi's 'mother')
Charizard Flametip (need a better nickname. help, please?)
Luxray Sparx (Saw the name in a fanfiction, and it stuck with me)

I once named a Durant "Kevin." Kind of lame, but I couldn't resist.

For those who may not be familiar with American sports, there is a pro basketball player named Kevin Durant.

Serperior: Arboa, arbor+boa

Unfezant: Amodove, amor+dove

Charmander: Charwin, Darwin(Evolution)+charcoal

Aegislash: Damocles, from Sword of Damocles.

Tyrantrum: Jabberjaw, after the cartoon.

Trevenant(Female): Thanata after Thanatos.

Staraptor: Feathora: Feather+plethora

Glalie(I have two from the demo): My G'lalie and Neckbeard, need I explain?

Krookodile: Solumnox, latin for earth(solum) and night(nox).

Gigalith(female): Gaialith, Gaia and Lilith.

Cofragrigus: Cofresin, named after a fairy tale pirate from the Caribbean. It also has the word sin in it.

Shiny Chandelure: Morticia, named after the mother from Addams family.

I raised a male Aggron with high defensive stats, Rock Head ability, and Head Smash. I named it Reiner.
You know, the armored titan from AoT?
It's such a bulky, strong and visibly armored tank, the name fits it well.

If I catch a mon that is the ace of a major character, I name it after that character (if it is the same gender as the character or genderless). That can lead to a few problems occasionally, hence naming my female Vivillon V!OLA (Due to Viola being censored ;_;)

EDIT: I have a Wailmer named Yo Momma, after the Your Mother Trope, but I'm planning on renaming him (Yes, it's a male) EAT FRESH, because of Youtuber PIMPNITE's Wailord SUBWAY

Last edited:
My Gallade in OR is named Nasir, after a Saracen assassin in Robin of Sherwood who was portrayed by Mark Ryan. The name is more than fitting: Nasir is an Arabic name meaning "helper" or "one who gives victory". And my Nasir has won a ton of battles. My Groudon is named Devastar, which is Devastator's name in Japan. When I catch Rayquaza, I will name him Deszaras, which is a character from Transformers Victory.

...I'm sure you can see a bit of a pattern with those last two, am I right? (Yep, Transformers nerd over here and proud of it!)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom