• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Well, I don't know if they could be called "clever" but I try to put at least a little thought into any name that isn't just some generic people name. Even then there's often some thought behind it.
  • Miles the Floatzel: It has two tails, Tails from the Sonic series has two tails and his real name is Miles
  • Rawk the Staraptor: This guy
  • Caliburn the Aegislash: This is the actual sword that Arthur pulled from the stone
  • Atem the Cofagrigus: Cofagrigus is a sarcophagus, sarcophagi are Egyptian, the Pharaoh in Yu-Gi-Oh's real name was Atem
  • Bunka the Forretress: it's intended as a corruption of "bunker" to tie into Forretress' high defenses
  • Rouge the Crobat: Rouge the Bat from the Sonic series, she used to hold flying gems back when they were available also.
  • Fiona the Clawitzer: Gee this one's convoluted. Originally I had intended to just call her Zoidberg and be done with it, then I thought that the name really didn't work for a female. The "Zoid" part of the name however got me thinking about the Zoids series. So I thought, "Who was that chick in Chaotic Century again?" The one I was thinking of was Moonbay, but I couldn't remember her name, so I just went for the other chick: Fiona. (told you it was convoluted)
  • Nimue the Gardevoir: The Lady of the Lake was named Nimue, and it just felt like a good fit for Gardevoir.
  • Galahad the Gallade: Galahad is simply my favourite Knight of the Round Table (mostly due to being played by Silver in Sonic and the Black Knight)
  • B-J the Pidgeot: B-J stands for Bird-Jesus. That is all.
  • Silver the Alakazam: Silver the hedgehog is a psychokinetic, Psychic is pretty much displayed a psychokinesis in the anime, I just connected the dots.
  • Marluxia the Scyther: Marluxia wields a scythe in the Kindom Hearts series
  • Gojira the Tyranitar: Tyranitar looks a lot like Godzilla, Gojira is the Japnese name for Godzilla

My Floatzel is also named Miles for the same reason! xD

I can't believe I forgot him in my last post, but:
  • Squall the Luxray: Luxray resembles a lion, the original name was "Leo" to fit that. I then decided that "Leon" sounded better. Leon however got me thinking of how Squall Leonhart was nicknamed "Leon" in the Kingdom Hearts series (I'm not sure if he was in his own game though 'cuz I never played it). This made me decide that his name should be "Squall".

I can't believe I forgot him in my last post, but:
  • Squall the Luxray: Luxray resembles a lion, the original name was "Leo" to fit that. I then decided that "Leon" sounded better. Leon however got me thinking of how Squall Leonhart was nicknamed "Leon" in the Kingdom Hearts series (I'm not sure if he was in his own game though 'cuz I never played it). This made me decide that his name should be "Squall".

Isn't Luxray supplied to be a Lynx?

Isn't Luxray supplied to be a Lynx?
I don't think so, Lynxes have big triangular ears and a rater featureless tail, Luxray's ears are rounded and it has a star on the end of its tail, matching up with a lion's ears and the tuft on a lion's tail (not to mention the mane). I guess it's like Mightyena, I see wolf, everyone else sees Hyena.

Pikachu - Fievel
Rattata - Saxxon
Radicate - Celenawe

Mewtwo - One-Punch
Greninja - Glenn
Zekrom - Toothless

Emboar: Flamebat (flame + combat even though I keep thinking Emboar is a bat every time I think of it. Not clever but it's one of the few nicknames I have always known)

Zweilous: Ms. & Ms. - Zweilous' ability is hustle, the one I have is female and Ms. sounds like miss and Hustle makes your moves more inaccurate and...yeah that is pretty much it.

Empoleon- Napoleon
Roserade (Male) - European
Shiny Bagon: Derek
Zubat- I CANT SEE
Geodude- FloatyRock
Lumpunny- Dem Buns
Bidoof- Big Oof
Honchcrow- HeadHoncho
Shiny Hawlucha- Hefe (pronounced HE -like “he” in help- and FEY)

That’s all I remember
:/

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorites:

• Mewtwo- Magikarp (I like trolling opponents; people refuse to play me in M:tG because of this)
  • Magikarp- Mewtwo (I really, really like trolling my opponents)
  • Magikarp- Magikarp (typically in a team with the above two; did I mention the love of trolling opponents?)
  • NotMagikarp- Sharpedo (for some odd reason, most people expect this to be a Magikarp)
  • Politics- Gengar

Not gonna lie, I've given the name Maleficent to my female Hydreigon in Omega Ruby. It shouldn't take too long for someone to figure out where the inspiration came from.

I gave the Necrozma from my Ultra Moon game a simple name.
Devolux.
A mixture of devour and lux, the latin word for light. Fitting name for what Necrozma does.

All of my rodent Pokemon have nicknames referencing An American Tail, The Secret of NIMH, or Mouse Guard.

Pikachu - Fivel
Rattata - Celenawe
Raticate - Nicodemus
Alolan Raticate - NIMH-Fo

Also my Gliscor's name is Fidget because The Great Mouse Detective exists.

i just nicknamed my Pokemon in Pokemon X:
Braixen is named Renamon
Pikachu is named Rukato (after my favorite pairing in Digimon Tamers)
Fletchling is named Blazewing
Ralts (Female) is named Miracle
and my Wartortle is named Tuttle (my spin on the word 'Turtle')

I've been using a Porygon-Z in Platinum's Battle Tower, where it serves as a lead to cripple the opposing lead with Trick and a Choice Scarf, locking it into a move that my other two 'mons can set up on (since the AI is too dumb to switch in Gen 4). Because it makes the opponent repeat the same action again and again, as if "stuttering", I decided to call my P-Z...

Stuttrbirb.

(Gotta love the pre-XY 10-character limit, right? XD)

Shiny venusaur: venusnot ,just look at its pallete
Another shiny venusaur : sour cream , @chibighost 's idea
Shiny rapidash: spirit, it looks like a ghost in addition to reference the legendary movie spirit
Golduck : scalduke, from duke and the move scald
Lapras: loki, it was tricky to find and catch + the Loch Ness
Shiny dragonite: greenshine, similar to redshine the nickname I gave to my shiny gyarados in crystal
Every jolteon I've ever used (crystal, LGE , LG): bolty , after the movie with the same name

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom