• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

I'll ask again cause I didn't get an answer but chat fics and script fics are the same thing, right?

I'll ask again cause I didn't get an answer but chat fics and script fics are the same thing, right?
No. Script fics get their name from their stylistic similarities to theatrical/movie scripts, whereas chat fics are formatted in a manner that resembles a series of messages exchanged over social media or an electronic messaging service. One big difference is that script fics will include descriptions of actions, while chat fics will not. True chat fics focus purely on dialogue, giving no care to atmosphere or setting in their simplest form.

Hmmm...

Alright. Now which does my fic count as.

I suppose I might have partaked in a very niche genre that is neither chat nor script.

Hmmm...

Alright. Now which does my fic count as.

I suppose I might have partaked in a very niche genre that is neither chat nor script.
Honestly? You don't need to fuss with labels too much. I'm sure "script" would fit, because technically speaking a chat fic is a kind of bare-bones script fic.

Speaking of, I really do need to update it, don't I.

On topic: Crossover fics that give zero reason why the protagonist of x anime is going on a pokemon journey.

Speaking of, I really do need to update it, don't I.

On topic: Crossover fics that give zero reason why the protagonist of x anime is going on a pokemon journey.
Yeah that's very annoying, I don't remember reading one, but it's quite annoying

@Kyuu-Tales has given a good answer to this, but I'll add that while in theory, a script fic resembles a stage play or screenplay script, and a chat fic resembles instant messaging logs, the most common form of fanfic in this vein has neither stage directions nor pretends to be a digital chatlog.

Jack: They just look like this!
You: Are you demonstrating?
Jack: I certainly am! This form of fic has no prose, no narration, nothing but dialogue and the occasional author's note or character action expressed in the same format.
You: coughs
Jack: Yes, exactly like that. It's easy to write, but demonstrates a lack of authorial skill, if you ask me.

This sort of thing has been called both script and chat. I don't really care for it.

It is something of a cliché in itself for a protagonist to have very little reason to go on a pokémon journey. Most journeyfics take the motivation for granted, which is somewhat strange given that the protagonist has stars in their eyes for all of a few paragraphs before dreams of fame and glory are more or less forgotten about. The reason for this is probably down to how most of the games do just the same thing

It is something of a cliché in itself for a protagonist to have very little reason to go on a pokémon journey. Most journeyfics take the motivation for granted, which is somewhat strange given that the protagonist has stars in their eyes for all of a few paragraphs before dreams of fame and glory are more or less forgotten about. The reason for this is probably down to how most of the games do just the same thing
My Journeyfic is different the protagonist starts off with a Ninetales and a Glaceon and yearns to become a performer, but she realizes this isn't what she's meant to do so she becomes a Pokémon Biologist that research the reasoning behind why some Pokémon are shiny and other things as such

I myself have a protagonist who has no reason to go on his journey except that some friends of his dragged him on it.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom