• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

There's a character named Virgil who appears late in the Unova anime series, and he has an Eevee and all the Eeveelutions except for Sylveon, because the latter hadn't been created yet.
I am aware of him. I am talking about fan-made stories that has the main character get all of them.

Here's a cliche that seems to be resurging: Betrayal fics.

Also, the number of "original character is transported back in time to Hisui" fics is rising but that's not necessarily a bad cliche.

HECK YEAH MY ESSAY CAN COME BACK AND BE RELEVANT LET'S GOOOOOOOOO
Also, the number of "original character is transported back in time to Hisui" fics is rising but that's not necessarily a bad cliche.
Consider also: "minor NPC is transported back in time to Hisui"

The Pokémon fanfic ideas thread on SpaceBattles mainly consists of various Hisui-isekai ideas at the moment, usually involving Ash or self-inserts.

Why? Just....Ash is on the cusp of being considered one of the best in the world. He beat a champion, won a game championship and has all three gimmicks. Why would this be coming back?

Also why is archive so Gung ho on writing Ash becoming bothered by being 'the chosen one' for everything?

Why? Just....Ash is on the cusp of being considered one of the best in the world. He beat a champion, won a game championship and has all three gimmicks. Why would this be coming back?
I wish I knew. Actually, scratch that, I really don't.

Though as we are talking spacebattles I have shown some of my own Arceus ideas, though I can assure you that they aren't as angsty as some of these ideas. A bit less 'Chosen one is suffering' please.

Also been seeing a lot of bog standard OC-Probably-Author-Self-Insert-Isekai'd-into-Pokemon-World fics recently too.

Well, I don't know about it in the Pokémon community but I know this is big thing in the Miraculous Ladybug fandom (I'm not really a fan, but I personally step in and go look now and again) which could be itching into other fandoms.

But I could personally blame this because of Blossoming Trail a Pokémon and Infinity Train crossover focusing on Chloe/Koharu, which it culminates it being a betrayal fic in all but name where it puts some characters on a pedestal and treats others horribly. I don't even like the anime anymore that much and this fic coming out change my very neutral but semi-like perception of Chloe/Koharu from when I dive on a TVTropes Binges. While it does have some very valid criticism on the anime and its characters (looking at you this incarnation of Ash and Goh), the fic goes into the wrong direction and basically reach salt betrayal fic levels treating every character not named Chloe or Parker. The fact this has so many spinoffs and tips into other fandoms (including The Owl House, a personal favorite of mine) gives more a negative influence than a positive one which could lead to the uptick of betrayal or similar fics in the fandom. Why does a great show like Infinity Train have to deal with something like this?

The thing about betrayal is that it works well! The best ones rip at the viewers' emotions. It's just that most fics tend to use established characters and skip the steps you need to make it work.

It's actually not that hard to do, build up a friendship between two characters, showing it on-screen, let plot move along. Make your audience care about the characters. THEN get into the betrayal - which you can do in all sorts of ways. Of course, most fics skip straight to the betrayal part, relying on said established characters in hopes that's enough to get you to care. But the other thing is, it's still rarely something that can stand a plot on its own.

Like going back to some of the wrestling comparisons I was making earlier, take something like Hulk Hogan betraying WCW to join Scott Hall (rest in peace!!) and Kevin Nash. It was one of those betrayals that with context happened out of nowhere - but those can work!! The buildup was, Hogan despite being a good guy was hated by the fans for just rehashing his 80s Hulkamania shtick in a new company. He disappeared for a bit. Enter the Outsiders, who just 'invaded' the company and started raising hell. It eventually led to a three-on-three match. Or well, three-on-two, because they were saving their third man for later. And indeed, they took out one of the WCW guys early - leading to a tease it'd be him. Hall and Nash were taking it to them, when out comes Hulk Hogan to massive cheers. He chases Hall and Nash out of the ring. Then after a few moments, he hits his leg drop finisher on WCW's guy. Cue massive boos, an ocean of garbage being thrown into the ring by angry fans, and Hogan cutting a promo where upon being called on his actions he cements his heel turn and explaining his motivations (another thing from what I know betrayal fics can be bad about). In one fell swoop, he betrayed not only his fans and the company, but also his morals It's worth watching to get an idea.

Or for a more personal one, take the famous Festival of Friendship segment. Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens, two heels, were teaming together. They were teasing dissent to the point of where the betrayal was obvious. Then you had the Festival of Friendship segment, a ridiculously cheesy and hilariously over-the-top vignette where Jericho showed their bond was still strong, and they were still friends! This article has a link to some of the segments and goes over why it was a critically acclaimed betrayal. It's in the visual medium of course, but it's those little touches that can sell a betrayal. Despite being villains, they were beloved in a way due to their talent and charisma. Just like how the crowd reacts as Hogan jumps for the leg drop above, you can hear the crowd reaction as they realize what's coming. They were invested in the characters, it hurt, and the betrayal was VERY memorable. Which is kind of what betrayal fics seem to miss: the moment of betrayal is far more important any fallout from it.

What I'm trying to get at here, the big problem with betrayal fics is that betrayal is often the midpoint of a story, or what kicks an arc off. It needs to be set up and executed well enough. A story where the betrayal is the only substance doesn't really hold up well. This isn't to say it can't work, that said, but it requires a steady hand at the pen to craft a proper story around it. Of course, the inherent problem is the betrayers suddenly acting out of character and author bias being a massive thing in many of them, but that's obvious.

Hilariously, the one place I haven't been seeing it lately is the Harry Potter fandom (which still exists for some reason), previously one of the most prolific dealers in betrayal fics, usually involving Harry going to Azkaban for some asinine reason.

Well, I don't know about it in the Pokémon community but I know this is big thing in the Miraculous Ladybug fandom (I'm not really a fan, but I personally step in and go look now and again) which could be itching into other fandoms.

But I could personally blame this because of Blossoming Trail a Pokémon and Infinity Train crossover focusing on Chloe/Koharu, which it culminates it being a betrayal fic in all but name where it puts some characters on a pedestal and treats others horribly. I don't even like the anime anymore that much and this fic coming out change my very neutral but semi-like perception of Chloe/Koharu from when I dive on a TVTropes Binges. While it does have some very valid criticism on the anime and its characters (looking at you this incarnation of Ash and Goh), the fic goes into the wrong direction and basically reach salt betrayal fic levels treating every character not named Chloe or Parker. The fact this has so many spinoffs and tips into other fandoms (including The Owl House, a personal favorite of mine) gives more a negative influence than a positive one which could lead to the uptick of betrayal or similar fics in the fandom. Why does a great show like Infinity Train have to deal with something like this?
Oh good gods that one's literally everywhere on TV Tropes. Because I'm a madman I use TV Tropes to find fanfiction and I can't go five seconds without stumbling on another example from it.

It's page is huge, too, for some reason. The only other fics I've seen with pages even approaching that size are Child of the Storm (a Harry Potter/Marvel/fifty thousand other franchises crossover), Ashes of the Past, and Reset Bloodlines.

Coincidentally I'm involved in two of those. I write Reset and I do work in the Blossomverse. Mostly in the stories and scenes where Chloe is either far less angst prone or gets punished for it.

I've even fused the two verses once in an experiment to provide Green with the less angst Chloe she says she wants but never writes. Orange Rose Gathering its name. Probably the best a BLSMV Chloe’s ever been written if you ask me

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom