• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Coast glitch on Seaforms Island too? (R/B)

Blockhead Pippi

North America's only Pippi fan
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if that infamous old man/Missingno/coast glitch can also be activated on the coast of Seaform Islands in Red/Blue as well...

I'm sure we all know that one of the reasons that causes Missingno to only appear in Cinnabar's coast is because no wild Pokemon were programmed to appear in the coast. Of course, people also use this to their advantage to make other Pokemon appear, not just Missingno.

Well I was on my way to Seaform Islands from the east side, and got to the very edge of the coast when I encountered something.

And it was a Meowth. I don't know why a Meowth of all things were generated, especially since I had not encountered one prior, but I nonetheless encountered it.

So now I'm starting to wonder if Seaform Islands has a similar coast problem that Cinnabar has, being that nothing was programmed there. And besides making me worried if my game got Missingno Damaged, it also piqued my curiosity. I don't think there has ever been mention before of Seaform with a similar unprogrammed coast, at least none that I can see on Bulbapedia...

Or maybe it was a completely random glitch fluke, but it still makes me worry and I still hope that my cartridge didn't get damaged.

Uh... discuss? I dunno, I just wanted to point this out and voice my concern.

Any damage on the contacts or cartridge? It can cause glitches. Also, did you try it again and repeat it, as some glitches are just random and not repeatable.

No I did not try to make it reappear, instead I promptly turned the gameboy off.

The cartridge and gameboy are fine. Yet I don't really think I can check for any glitch-induced damages in-game. Some occurance of damage is random, and I sure as heck am not even at the Elite 4 to check to see if the Hall of Fame is messed up.

Mask ROMs cannot get glitch damaged. Save files can, but that's it. The cart damage rumor is a myth.

Bit Rot also doesn't affect mask ROMs, only EPROMs.

Last edited:
Eh, you'd be surprised the things that a real Missingno. can do... I have done my research, based on experiments done before by others. Known things that Missingno. can do can include messing up the save data. Besides the Hall of Fame, there can be files that delete themselves or are corrupted.

The Meowth had no specific name, it was just Meowth. I get the jist that I am not being taken seriously here.

It was a reference to a story of a haunted Majora's Mask cartridge. Scary stuff. Just looking out for your well being :p

Eh, you'd be surprised the things that a real Missingno. can do... I have done my research, based on experiments done before by others. Known things that Missingno. can do can include messing up the save data. Besides the Hall of Fame, there can be files that delete themselves or are corrupted.

The Meowth had no specific name, it was just Meowth. I get the jist that I am not being taken seriously here.

It can't mess up a ROM in a cartridge, as the maskroms cannot be erased or burned.

Glitch damage is another myth. As for this game cart, disassembly revealed some contacts were damaged:

[video=youtube;EfTecpvOmS4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfTecpvOmS4[/video]

Sorry but I'd rather listen to my research.

Anyway, I don't think that's entirely the point of this thread... Now that I think of it, maybe there never was a point to this dumb thread. *Sigh*

Seafoam Islands. Not Seaform.

Anyways, I think I remember experiencing something similar on my Blue cartridge, when I was messing around with the Missingno glitch.

Glitch damage is only for save files. Not the games themselves.

I've never heard of a real game damaged by glitching.

...By "cartridge damage" I was referring to in-game data, not a cartridge being chipped or anything if that's what you thinking. <_<

There's a good chance that even starting a new game will not fix problems brought by a glitch Pokemon, because the corrupted data it spreads around can affect more than just a save file. That guide would have pointed them out better if you had read it.

It can't damage any physical chips though, and you can clear the RAM chip by draining the battery. Somehow, the author didn't attempt to try that. I know about the save file trashing.

I've never heard of any SRAM chips killed by glitching, either. Only corrupt data, and even then, from expierence on consoles/PCs, clearing the corrupt data outside the game fixes issues like that.

I thought the Seafoam coast thing was known. I've found, IIRC, Cloysters and such things at those ridiculous levels there too. Not sure if I ever saw a Missigno. there though.

For the record, the ROM in a pokemon cartridge isn't programmable. It's something physical. A software error cannot possibly ever damage them nor delete the "files" because there are no files-per se. Sure, there are memory regions and whatnot, but it's all a chip designed and limited to stay the way it is made.
Surely enough, cartridge damage (which isn't the same as bit rot, but can easilly happen from neglecting the cartridge for years) can mess up either the contacts or something else that may mess up when it is read. But even in that case, it's not a glitch that spreads like a computer virus or whatever stories are told over the internet.

Back to topic... what I don't understand is why isn't at least EVERY instance of the Cinnabar east coast "macrotile" glitched, if it really is because of the tiles having the wrong flags associated with them. As far as I know, Gen. I didn't assign behaviour flags separately from tiles (unlike Gen. III). Everytime that tile was used it'd always give grass encounters, and glitched ones in areas with no grass encounters defined. (Which basically are Cinnabar and route 20)

As for it happening in Seafoam Islands, the coast tiles are actually in Route 20. They are too in the right side of Seafoam, but you can't access them from Cinnabar without crossing the caves. I'm not sure if caves define grass pokemon or not for the encounters though. If they do, you'd see the 1F (or lower with an Escape Rope) pokemon in there, otherwise the glitch'd carry over.

But that'd raise the question of why doesn't it work in Viridian which has the same coast tiles.

It's an interesting discovery. It's definitely not the same type of glitch as Cinnabar - the Cinnabar coast just uses the encounter data from wherever you fought last, which could conceivably be the Safari Zone or the old man (In the case of the Old Man, it throws junk data from your player name with interesting results). Nonetheless, you're encountering a Meowth over water, which means that either you've managed to find a previously unreported glitch in the game 13+ years after release or that it's an interesting side effect of your internal data being corrupted in some way - it may just be internal components becoming corroded with time. It's worth looking into seeing how you managed this.

It's definitely not the same type of glitch as Cinnabar
Except it is. Cinnabar's coast is route 20. Seafoam is route 20. It's just an extension of the glitch.

Also I just realized why it doesn't happen in other areas: They use a different tileset. So of course the glitched tile doesn't actually appear anywhere else (unless I'm missing some area that uses water route tiles)
And given how he also encountered a Meowth (I forgot that part), probably caves don't set grass encounters either.

Except it is. Cinnabar's coast is route 20. Seafoam is route 20. It's just an extension of the glitch.

I disagree. The part of Cinnabar's coast that causes the associated glitch is mislabeled as "grass" and deliberately used as a temporary placeholder, which is why it just uses the more recent grass terrain encounter data, which in turn is why if one goes there directly from another area (say, the Safari Zone, or the scripted Old Man battle), they can produce interesting results. See here for details. Your glitch was encountered on water tiles on that route near the Seafoam Island, far away from the "grass" tiles on Cinnabar island without proper encounter data. The fact that both are located on/near Route 20 doesn't necessarily make them related. It is highly unlikely that he/she happened upon an undiscovered, mislabeled/placeholder tile, though I suppose that it is possible. It's more likely that this problem is from some sort of corrosion over time or some sort of corruption in the software from altered game data. They just both happen to affect encounter data. Red/Blue had their fair share of glitches in the first place...

route20rby.png

(If it's too small, please view it separately)
I have already explained why does it happen. I do not need you to explain it to me.

What is marked in red (except the lowest tile at the left, that's my mistake) are the same tile of the same tileset in the same map. As I said, RGBY assign the behavior to the tile itself, not separately. That tile has the wrong flag set (grass encounter), therefore all instances of that tile have the wrong flag.

Also I just checked: It does indeed happen in all instances of the tile (in the tileset, that means route 21). The coast left of pallet town and extending to route 21, for instance, will give you the grass encounters set there too. (That is, Raticate and such appearing in water)
However, it is impossible to get Meowth in the seafoam coast unless you come from Fuschia, as the caves do set their encounters as grass (so you encounter Seel and Zubat). I don't know if Fuschia does set grass encounters though. Probably not, explaining why did the Meowth carry over.
This also means it very possible to accidentally trigger it: you just have to trigger an encounter right when you are reaching the islands.

Why did Cinnabar become popular? Perhaps because it's the most accessible area with the tile and no grass encounter set. But it does work everywhere else. (Though it's not like "everywhere else" are many places)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom