• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Collector's how do you sort your cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakamon

Reaction score
Just bought a bunch of cards for 300 bucks. I'm looking to do a big collection of holos and reverse only.
I was wondering how should I sort the cards >.<

I was thinking and wanted to do em in order (generations) 1-649 but some cards have a lot of holographic versions etc and I'll have to stack em up (which kinda makes it look like I only have 1 holographic version of the card D:

I've heard to sort them by types or rarity.

But I'm still so unsure! I'm buying extra binders soon so I'm still looking for a way to sort the cards.

I organize my collection by Set and number. For the early sets without number I use the standard Type/NDex Number (Gr, Fr, Wt, Elec, Psy, Fight, Normal, Trainer).

A quick note on Holographs and 1st editions and what not. For a long time the US Release had several duplicates without a change in art up until about the ADV Generation. I think... I have a huge set comparison file somewhere. Anyway, I would have a set be 1st Edition and Holo Only, none of the non-holo duplicates.

I usually do it by set and then number... some sets don't have numbers? I have some base set cards, and they have numbers.

I have two piles of cards- My cards, and 5,000 cards that I bought.

My cards aren't in any order. But the 5,000 cards that I bought are sorted by Dex number, and then on what set they were released in.

For repeats, I just put them next to each other, in case I trade one for another card.

@Sapphowako; The early JP Sets don't have any numbers at all, also no first edition until recently. There are the custom cover binders with Set/Numbers/Dex (Which should be the standard now adays) and then there is a pile of cards sorted by Rarity/Set/Type. What I would think most people looking to trade would be worried about.

Hmmf although by number order of pokedex is cooler, it's rather complicated.
I guess by sets -> number in set is pretty organized :eek:

I also sort mine by set, then by type following the current Black and white scheme (Grass, then Fire, then Water, ...), then by dex number. That way all sets are organized the same. However, I do not keep my holographic, promo, or ultra rare cards in the binder with the rest. These I keep in the penny sleeves in the toploaders. I group these by set and keep them in a special box (I worry about them getting bent/scratched/etc in the plastic 9 pocket sleeves). I also have separate binders for duplicates arranged by type and then set, but not as organized as my primary binders. Then a binder for energy cards, a binder for trainer cards, and a small binder for first edition duplicates that I have.

@Arcanine03; Do you Double Sleeve your cards before putting them in your Binder? Some Non-Holo cards are rarer than Holo. I really like the Screw Down for display cards like Full Arts and have a special box that fits them nicely if they are not on display. I don't seperate Set Trainers, but do keep the Energies in a separate binder, including holos.

@Arcanine03; Do you Double Sleeve your cards before putting them in your Binder? Some Non-Holo cards are rarer than Holo.

I've tried it in the past and the penny sleeves I get don't seem to make it easy for me to do. I only put one card in each pocket (unless I also have its reverse holo as well) so there isn't much of a need to protect it further. I do realize that some rare cards are rarer than holos, but I either don't have many of those or their relative cost isn't high enough to keep in a top loader. I also realize some of the holo's and promo's are very cheap, but for consistency I do this for all of them. It just makes the organization easier for me.

I have all mine sorted by set and then within sets I just put them in evolves with the coolest/best cards at the front. I sometimes break this rule and use say my Dragon flygon in sandstorm with my samdstorm trapinch and vibrava just as it seems silly to split them up when I don't have a complete evolution line in either set. So yeah. I follow a loose rule but if something looks cooler a different way then I just go with it :) I also put empty booster packs in the folder at the end of their corresponding sets. Also regarding types, I actually like to mix say 3 types per page ie in FRLG I have beedrill, pidgeot and poliwrath plus all their evolves on one page. It just looks better as the evolutionary lines stand out more imo.

I actually have a question along these lines too. I have a complete Diamond and Pearl set and I am working on a complete neo genesis set. Should I put them in number order to show off the complete set? OR put them in evolutionary sets which would look cooler but would loose the set order? its a tough one. I suppose if i printed and filled in a checklist and ticked them all off just to make a piont that i've got them all then the order doesn't actually matter? I welcome your opinions!

I sort my cards by set and then by number, stored in 9 pocket or 4 pocket binders, makes it so much easier to see at a glance what I have and haven't got. I also keep the reverse holo cards seperate from the basic set but still in sets & numerical order if that makes sense.

I actually have a question along these lines too. I have a complete Diamond and Pearl set and I am working on a complete neo genesis set. Should I put them in number order to show off the complete set? OR put them in evolutionary sets which would look cooler but would loose the set order? its a tough one. I suppose if i printed and filled in a checklist and ticked them all off just to make a piont that i've got them all then the order doesn't actually matter? I welcome your opinions!

It definetly looks better in number order. It's much more impressive. Anyone can print off a checklist and check of all the boxes.

@Palbert6393; Speaking of looking impressive, I've contacted UltraPro to see if I can't get custom 10 page Premium binders (Side Loading, Webbed) emblazoned with the Various Set Symbols. Oh the dream! They said they can make custom if the number is sufficient and they may be able to supply me the Premium Sleeves alone so I can sew bind them in custom leather, again with the set symbols. I'll use the US Set Symbols since lately the JP Symbols have been... Meh.

@Palbert6393; Speaking of looking impressive, I've contacted UltraPro to see if I can't get custom 10 page Premium binders (Side Loading, Webbed) emblazoned with the Various Set Symbols. Oh the dream! They said they can make custom if the number is sufficient and they may be able to supply me the Premium Sleeves alone so I can sew bind them in custom leather, again with the set symbols. I'll use the US Set Symbols since lately the JP Symbols have been... Meh.

say what now? I didn't quite follow your train of though there I don't think.

@Palbert6393; Like this:
bwbook.png

As a leather bound binder for the BW Expansion set. The inside would be the same as an UltraPro Premium Binder/Monster Protector Soft Binder

I put all my Common, Common Reverse, Uncommon, Uncommon Reverse and Normal Rare cards in my binder. All of my Rare Reverses and Holographic Rares go in my Rayquaza tin, and the Special Rare cards (EX, Lv.X,Full Arts, Secret Rare, etc.) are placed in a small container.

I put all my Common, Common Reverse, Uncommon, Uncommon Reverse and Normal Rare cards in my binder. All of my Rare Reverses and Holographic Rares go in my Rayquaza tin, and the Special Rare cards (EX, Lv.X,Full Arts, Secret Rare, etc.) are placed in a small container.

Isn't that backward? Rarer cards should be in a binder to protect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom