• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

I'd say.... New Generation or Revolution generation. Condidering they may be doing new things - aside from steering away from classic, the possibility of no more bike, and new puzzles that require your hero to actually DO something other than running, falling, or biking.

Genetic Generation is a okay nickname for gen 6, but really any nickname that makes sense is fine with me.
I really want gen 6 to have a nickname to avoid accidentally saying gen sex when talking to someone about Pokémon in real life, since I already did that a few times...

Genetic Generation is a okay nickname for gen 6, but really any nickname that makes sense is fine with me.
I really want gen 6 to have a nickname to avoid accidentally saying gen sex when talking to someone about Pokémon in real life, since I already did that a few times...

You could say "The Sixth Generation" instead. ;)

I would like to put in my two cents here; to me it makes much more sense to call Generation 6 "The 3D Generation" than Generation 4. But I really think the nicknames could probably be dropped altogether because, like VeggiePopper says, they're supposed to come about organically, not diplomatically voted and decided on.

I don't actually know of anyone who's called Generation 4 "the 3D generation", and if they did do that know, it would cause confusion because it'd sound like they were talking about Generation 6.

The actual text in the sites refers to these nicknames as "sometimes called" or "known as" so this site hypothetically speaking giving the gen nicknames and people not using them would make those parts of the articles in a way lies would they not so I say for the sake of honesty we not put anything on the site unless people actually use it.

I think most people earlier proposed axis generation, but after all this time, I think this Gen has more to do with Genetics than with Axis. So far:
1. There is a DNA helix in the logo for the Japanese games.
2. The name is X and Y, which are the two chromosomes for male and female.
3. Genesect is appearing in the new movie, and it was altered biologically by Team Plasma.
4. Mewtwo is appearing in the next movie, and it was created after DNA engineering experiments caused by Team Rocket. Additionally, it's getting a new Forme which would have something to do with that.
5. There is a Deoxys event starting on May 8th. The species name of Deoxys is "DNA Pokemon."
I know Point 3 is about the movie and not X and Y, and 6 is an event, but they are definitely trying to hint at genetics over axis. Thus, I think it should be called, as people have said before, the Chromosome, Genetic, Helix, or DNA Generation, or if you're punny:
The Gene-eration

Anyway... how do things like these become "official". I know it's not really official, but who decides what it will be called, and when do you think it will be decided?

Genetic Generation doesn't sound half bad.
Chromosome Generation makes sense, but it doesn't have the feel to it
Axis Generation makes sense, but it sounds evil with WWII

Pokemon W and Z versions?

Axis generation actually represents the names of the games so..Yeah....I think Axis generation sounds good

I really don't think it has to do with the X and Y axis, as much as X and Y chromosomes. You know, since, like people said, the chromosomes are on the logo.

It seems, to me at least, that genetics will be the main theme. Especially since Mewtwo, the Genetics Pokemon, is having a new major role and a new forme.

I also forgot another obvious: Eevee, a Pokemon know for it's irregular genes getting a new Evolution.

Last edited:
Lol funny if they should release Z after these two.

From "genetics generation" to "alphabet generation" :p

Still fits the bill. Not sure I buy that they would throw in avian genetics on top of something that will already go over the heads of 99% of their target demographic, but some people seem to think so.

Still fits the bill. Not sure I buy that they would throw in avian genetics on top of something that will already go over the heads of 99% of their target demographic, but some people seem to think so.

Lovely idea. Though if Z and W really would come to be, I might find Yveltal out of place as the mascot of Y, cos its feet definitely resemble that of a bird.

Interesting to note that it says: "The ZW sex-determination system is a system that determines the sex of offspring in birds.... and some reptiles, including komodo dragons", and the Z Pokemon is speculated to be dragon type.. Or at least serpentine.... I see what you did there GF....

Though it's contradicted itself considering what Utsune said above me, since Yveltal should be W in that case (birds). Still, maybe the W Poke will be a fish/water dwelling Pokemon? Then, in that case........... the four of them represent the four elements in a way, assuming that the Z poke will be fire, or volcano based or something.

X would be Earth, Y wold be Air/Wind, W would be Water, and Z would be fire.... I could see it happening......

Interesting to note that it says: "The ZW sex-determination system is a system that determines the sex of offspring in birds.... and some reptiles, including komodo dragons", and the Z Pokemon is speculated to be dragon type.. Or at least serpentine.... I see what you did there GF....

Though it's contradicted itself considering what Utsune said above me, since Yveltal should be W in that case (birds). Still, maybe the W Poke will be a fish/water dwelling Pokemon? Then, in that case........... the four of them represent the four elements in a way, assuming that the Z poke will be fire, or volcano based or something.

X would be Earth, Y wold be Air/Wind, W would be Water, and Z would be fire.... I could see it happening......

The elemental idea is sweet. Well if it did happen anyway. In that case, it would be a blend of genetics and ancient philosophy, a Generation of Classical Elements cross Modern-day Science:p

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, and I doubt this would happen myself, but I think Gen IV's nickname should be changed. The games weren't actually in 3D, but just added depth to the environment and characters. So...depth generation?

And I know there's no way anyone could have predicted Pokemon moving to an actual 3D console, but it just would make more sense to me if the 3D generation was the series of games that are actually in 3D.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, and I doubt this would happen myself, but I think Gen IV's nickname should be changed. The games weren't actually in 3D, but just added depth to the environment and characters. So...depth generation?

And I know there's no way anyone could have predicted Pokemon moving to an actual 3D console, but it just would make more sense to me if the 3D generation was the series of games that are actually in 3D.
That's still classified as 3D, As in 3D computer graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But I guess you're right, it still should be changed.. but to what? The Space-Time Generation... The Continuum Generation.... The Creation Generation...?

Dual. These fake generation names that nobody uses because we all refer to them by number haven't been related to the story in the past. No reason DP's would.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom