• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Commercials That Drive Us Crazy!

Reaction score
In many ways this thread is kind of a rip-off. For a while I had fun going to r/CommercialsIHate on Reddit, but 1) I don’t like the word “hate” and 2) it can get unnecessarily nasty and mean real fast. Poking fun at commercials we’ve all seen way too many times is okay in my book, cruelty is not.

So what are those commercials that make you want to change the channel or scream into a pillow every time they come on? I’m anticipating a lot of insurance ads lol.

The most recent one for me has been the Planet Oat oatmilk commercial with the alien. The kid’s fine, but if an alien transported itself into my house I don’t think my first reaction would be to tell them how low in sugar the stuff I put in my cereal is.

Also not a fan of the alien’s design. Mom thinks it’s cute, I think it’s trying too hard to be cute and is kinda creepy as a result.
FF40FE2A-C25C-44CF-A9EE-C2C5C95D9BF0.jpeg

On the radio there used to be (probably still are, but I don't listen anymore like I used to) commercials for our local airport parking service and they were soooooo annoying. Eventually they got one on TV and it was even worse with a bunch of people awkwardly dancing. It's funny thinking back on it, but that's only because I haven't seen that commercial in many years now. lol It was so cringe.

Also, this was absolutely horrendous:

Had never seen the original before but apparently that HeadOn commercial is infamous. The ones I’ve seen are people saying the catchphrase and then “I hate your commercial, but I love your product.”

Speaking of repetition, how do you make the Liberty Mutual jingle even more annoying?

That HeadOn commercial is even funnier/more horrendous when you know that the product itself, which was supposedly meant to relieve headaches, was essentially just a stick of wax and literally did nothing:
Wikipedia said:
Chemical analysis of the Migraine formulation has shown that the product consists almost entirely of wax. The three "active ingredients" are iris versicolor 12X, white bryony 12X, and potassium dichromate 6X. The "X" notation indicates that the three chemicals have been diluted to 1 part per trillion, 1 part per trillion, and 1 part per million respectively. This amount of dilution is so great that the product has been described as a placebo.

Correspondence was published with a statement from HeadOn Customer Service that "It works through the nerves."

Anyway, when it comes to current commercials I can't stand, that award has to go to basically any ad featuring the Charmin bears. I know everyone dislikes them, but it's for good reason. :confused:

And, while it didn't necessarily drive me crazy, this terribly cringeworthy infomercial was on constantly when I was younger and it always made me laugh. This dude shouting "OW" loud enough to break the sound barrier has lingered in my mind for the past decade.

And, while it didn't necessarily drive me crazy, this terribly cringeworthy infomercial was on constantly when I was younger and it always made me laugh. This dude shouting "OW" loud enough to break the sound barrier has lingered in my mind for the past decade.
I'd also like to add and point out that piece of junk didn't even work and it was loud despite them claiming it's quiet, one of the biggest waste of money ever! :mad:

Also do online ads count too? Because if so...
Real classy Speechify, passive aggressiveness is sure to make me not want to skip the ad. /s

i don't watch much tv, so most of the ads i see come from spotify. i hate hate hate hate hate that one ad against vaping where it's like "wish you could skip this ad? well it's not under your control" like shut up shut up shut up

I wouldn't say TV or video ads in general. That being said, I do have quite a few annoying radio commercial that's in the Bay Area that all of us know.

I know this isn't exclusive to the Bay Area but we still like to joke about this business, Shane Co. "Now you have a friend in the diamond business., Shane Co! In Cupertino, San Mateo and Walnut Creek! Open weekdays 'til 8, Saturday and Sunday until 5!" It's gotten to the point where even if we don't know this "Shane in the diamond business," we think he's a reliable friend and we know where and when to find him. Sadly, he's no longer in Novato :(

And then we have this TV store chain called "Video Only," where they mainly sell TVs and TV equipment at a much lower price than most places I have seen. However, their tag line on the radio is "Shop Video Only, because if you don't, you'll be sorry!" Not sure if we should treat that as a threat or not while driving :p

Some other local "favorite" and "annoying" commercials in my area are for the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Mr. Chau's.

That darn Allegra commercial with a Christmas song. I don’t wanna hear it if it’s not Christmas.

pretty much any political ad drives me nuts

Because I either pirate everything or use adblock the only times I deal with ads are on YouTube mobile, and there is one with the sound of a dog licking that makes me shut down if I don't catch and mute it in time. I have some sensory issues and certain sounds can trigger me. It hasn't gotten any better since I started to get it.

The ad is for TikTok because of course it is.

The Burger King one, especially after the Poke remix

Wooper, Wooper, Wooper, Wooper
Junior, double, triple, Wooper

Just come on agh! Meme I know but it got old fast.

Oh, I remember that Perfection commercial…yeah, between the “Xtreme” arrangement of Pop goes the Weasel and the body horror, I too am not amused.

The one that’s been bugging me lately is the “Family Guard” commercials. Mainly because they feel ai-generated. There’s no dialogue except for a few grunts and gasps, and the characters look like Cocomelon knockoffs.

IMG_4344.jpeg

Mine would be the "Carglass" commercials we've had in the 2010s, starting with this one :

The commercials themselves are fine, but it came up so frequently that it got grating at times. And that's nothing compared to that one type of medical commercial which, for some reason, decided "hey, let's have the advertisement short enough so we can loop it one or two times, and let's make sure our slogan is spoken in those loops". Here's an example :

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom