• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

~ Community Question of the Week ~ What would you change and why?

What were some things you have done as a teenager that you consider embarrassing and wished you could change?
This didn't happen in school, but I was still trick-or-treating as a teenager (which honestly I felt super awkward doing by that point, but it was easier just to do it than explain to my parents that I felt weird trick-or-treating, just not my thing) and one year (6th grade) I was dressed as a grim reaper, with like a full mask/hood and everything. And when leaving one house after saying "thanks" for the candy I tripped over my costume and fell off their porch and oh man was I embarrassed under that mask. Everyone was nice about it - even other kids who were there trick-or-treating - and asked if I was okay, but I wanted the ground to swallow me whole then and there. So basically I would've stopped trick-or-treating earlier I guess.

I'm sure there are other things that happened in school itself that I'd like to change, but I can't think of any off the top of my head so maybe I repressed them or something lol. I know I've called classmates the wrong name before - I am... so BAD with names, even people I'd had in classes for years - so I'd change that if I could I guess.

Embarrassing things as a teenager? Oh boy... thinking is going to take a while.

Online, I made a complete ass out of myself on a few forums, getting offended over every little thing and creating sock puppet accounts to make myself look better. This was back in 2001-2004. I wish I could have just taken everything in stride and tried to relax with the atmosphere of the forums. Then again, most of these forums weren't the most friendly and the mods had their favorite users who had each other's backs, but a lot of the time I got chewed out for being an idiot. I remember asking a question about when would I stop being considered a newbie. I got some colorful responses, none of them positive. I deserved that, but man, I was a bumbling fool.

Offline wasn't much better. I'd say it was worse since it was the real me and things were personal. Speech class was probably where I embarrassed myself the most. One of my essays and the way I presented myself almost got me laughed out of the room. Again, I should have just relaxed and kept things calmer instead of making an ass out of myself.

Being a teenager was horrible, but that is where I learned the most leasons, regardless of how self-induced they were. I'm glad I am out of that age group.

EDIT: Accidentally wrote 2014 instead of 2004. =(

Last edited:
Pretended I hated High School Musical (and the sequel) when I jammed out to the soundtrack pretty much on the daily. Should have just owned it!

Well, when I was thirteen I went to a pre-wedding party and I was trying to make some polite conversation with the bride-to-be. I asked what her cake was gonna be, and she said that it was bad luck to say. I was a bit mystified because I had never heard of that in my life, so I said 'I thought that only applied to the dress' and then everyone around me had super pained looks as though I was an idiot...? More enraging than embarrassing but that was just weird!

Then at the wedding reception... well, I had some lemonade. And it obviously didn't agree with me, because I went INSANE. I mean it. Full blown nuts. I had so much energy, so I went on the balcony and just started grooving like an idiot next to the speaker system. And then it got even worse, because I started staring at people and I yelled out 'lech!' and 'perv!' and all that sort of thing to the people down there. But I meant me! Urgh.

A few days prior, I went on a tandem bike ride. Fun, brilliant. But then we had a lunch break, and the person who had packed my lunch had used a soldering torch and a lock and a security system and... three lucky bands and some cellophane. I couldn't get it off for the life of me. Someone asked to help and I was just.... augughghghhghghg.

AND THERE'S MORE.

I went to lunch with some relatives and their friends and I had to share a pie with someone. That meant dividing it. So I had to cut it in half and my audience was riveted; so riveted that my mind went dead and I started freaking out and then someone offered once again. And I was like Goofy, as in I was like 'hoiey hoiey hoiey, im so silly!' and it was horrible. HORRIBLE

Same week. I knocked over a packet of biscuits onto the floor in someone else's house while messing around with some other kids. My idol, a fellow relative, also made a playful grimace at me when they saw me being an idiot with the other kids. Ooooompghhghg.

And then I had to communicate with a baby cousin whose second language was English, so I struggled a lot with it because I'm not used to that - children, generally, and talking to them is hard enough as it is without speaking in different tongues and having different accents. Anyway, her dad was overlooking as I tried to talk to her. I was using very big words because that is just how I talk, and I was going crazy and he kept saying 'she can't understand you'. Then I finally learnt how to speak in Weird Baby, and then he asked me something and I WAS STILL IN WEIRD BABY MODE
im crying
So I was basically like 'Yeeeeeesssss, pooky? :LOL:'

Also, I had to go to the beach but I can't swim so I usually just wade around, and there were a cluster of hot teenagers nearby who were having one of those damn giggly teenager parties and then there was me - dumb adolescent who was just splashing around. Ugh.

I also spoke to my cousin a lot, and since I'm not used to that... I spoke really fast, about thousands of things at once and left nothing out. NOTHING. And everything I said about other people came out in a really harsh, critical tone of voice. So I must have sounded insane and cruel.

But when I was a real kid? Well, I was notoriously gullible, so people got me to do things very easily. They'd just have to threaten me with stuff like 'I won't let you play Mario Kart unless you do so-and-so' and I'd believe them. So I was shanghaied into saying retarded stuff in front of people, like in front of other family... 'uhhhhh, the mayonnaise touched the lettuce'. Ba-dumpfhhhh.

There is more. Plenty more. I just can't remember it because my brain shut it all out to keep me sane

Hello again, OtB, MegaPod here. I apologize for the, uh...*checks calendar* Dear Arceus...five-week and one day delay.
EEE3D332-3C3A-4353-89A6-4AB4C4792515.jpeg
Anyways, I was inspired to finally update this thread again because a funny thing happened to me this morning. I’ve got this electric kettle in my kitchen that can boil water, and I’m always using it to boil water for coffee in the morning. Normally I have to wait several minutes for the water to boil, but today when I went to fill the electric kettle and start it, it was already full of hot water! It must have never have gotten emptied the day before and then accidentally turned on earlier this morning. It was just a small thing, but definitely a fortuitous fluke. Basically, what I’m saying is that this week’s question is:

What lucky things have happened to you by coincidence?

Wow. Let's see here...

Well, I can't really think of many off the top of my head though there must literally be thousands. But I was born on the same date as Robert Vaughn so that's quite legit. He was a cool guy. Made everything sound incredibly licentious.

Oh, wait. I've got one:
So I went to the pet store last August. Wasn't expecting to buy anything because I'd been pet-free for a whole year and it was sort of a luxury. Then I saw the guinea pigs. There was a skittish black one who was very Kylo-esque, despite her gender, so I bit the bullet and decided that a new dose of responsibility might refresh my daily schedule of nothing.
Then she got fat. Very fat. In a few weeks I was designing a saddle for her so I could ride her into town. And she was lonely, too, because I got on a writing frenzy and I couldn't even tear myself away from the computer to drink water let alone handle my adorable Dark Sider.

Then bam-a-lam. She gave birth! Brilliant. That saved me sixty dollars and she's no longer lonely. I'm one heck of a lucky duck.

I'll get back to this post. :notworthy:

Hm. I can't really think of much atm lol.

Or well.

Not really a coincidence I guess? but back when I was 11 or so I would hang out at this scandinavian forum (I was prolly a bit too young for the internet but eh). There was an artist there that I looked up to a lot. Like I'd comment on their art all the time, try talking to them whenever I had the chance etc. (I was probably being a bit over the top thinking of it). Anyway, some random day I got a PM from them with a drawing. They said they admired my work (which seemed kinda silly as I was really new to digital art, while they were like some goddess in my eyes). It made me extremely happy. Thinking about it now they were probably just looking through random galleries or showing graditude for my intense support, but even being noticed by my idol was more than enough for me :p

Other than that I tend to be.. pretty unlucky. Everytime there's a lucky coincidence it's followed by some unlucky coincidence. Like this contest in a game where we had to find a moderator and give them a code word to win a special prize. I was the one who found them first (by pure luck, I had zero tactics at all), but I forgot the code word completely. I didn't even write it down cause who forgets a simple word? I remember it now, 4 years later but ugh.

I bought a ticket for myself to see a concert with my sister and when we were in line waiting for the venue to open, a woman had an extra VIP pass and she gave it to me because she loved my purse.

I bought a ticket for myself to see a concert with my sister and when we were in line waiting for the venue to open, a woman had an extra VIP pass and she gave it to me because she loved my purse.

:eek:

So if I go out looking totally spankin', there's this chance someone might give me a million dollars or something? Or an all-expense paid trip to Iceland?! Or a phone number?!!

Time to buy some leather trousers, me thinks.

How do you do, Outside the Boxians? MegaPod here to revive this thread after a two month break (whoopsie!), with a fresh new question for you to answer!

What is the dumbest way you’ve been injured?

My answer? Well...I was opening a can of beans, and the lid was still partially stuck on after using the can opener. So I tried to pry off the lid by hand, but ended up gashing the base of my thumb with the rim of the can. I applied pressure to the bleeding wound and woozily laughed for a few minutes like a drunken hyena to cope, then went and got stitches at the ER. Not my best moment. But hey, now my family uses these great new safety can openers!​

Ok, so you know those little tubs of sauce you get from places like KFC? The ones you're supposed to dip your nuggets in and stuff? Well, one time after I'd taken the foil/plastic/thing lid off, I popped it in my mouth to get the sauce off the lid. And at some point during that the edges sliced the corners of my mouth. Now, it was a very minor injury, really it just stung for a bit, but it's most certainly my dumbest.

Last edited:
OH YES this question was made for me.

It was late 2015. The season of change - aka the season where you literally have to f-cking change stuff around, like clean out rooms and all that bunk.

I'm going to spice this up by ditching all the 'hads':

It was a sunny afternoon. I was asked to participate in work, which usually makes me bemoan the birthright I was cheated out of, one of ballet, opera, institutes of science and all of the things reserved for the outstandingly privileged. This makes me angry and eager to get work over with, typically in a slapdash way, because bloody hell! I'm probably the heir to a f-cking Czechoslovakian throne! Do they have thrones over there? I don't bloody know.

Anyway, the task involved moving a suitcase which had rested in dormancy for many months atop a miniature trampoline. Outside. Moldiness was not beyond scope. With the help of ___, I was called upon to move the lot. Trampoline and all. Simple, yet no less aggravating.
In an act of insouciance, mindlessness and general ignorance to protocol when it comes to lifting things, I made a potentially lethal error.

I didn't bend my knees.

Pop. My lower back experienced a terrible sensation, unforgettable in the dread it incurred. I imagine it was not dissimilar to being shot and realising that you're already dead as you look down at your wound. I emitted a muffled groan. There wasn't any pain. Yet.

Thirty minutes later I was rolling around on the sofa. The people I associate with have somehow got it into their heads that I'm over dramatic and that I tend to exaggerate. Not unlike someone with histrionic disorder. That is why they were less than sympathetic. They thought I was hunting for attention once again. Not their fault - my long-suppressed theatricality has made short, powerful appearances over the years and they haven't lent me an impression of overall stability.
It wasn't until I was sort of... uhhh... leaking from the eyeballs a bit, that they believed me. Not crying, mind... okay, whatever, the point is I was in a lot of pain. Went to a doctor, one I'd never known before, and I went into their cupboard of an office. I can't even remember what the hell he said. Something rubbish-y. To demonstrate the effects of appendicitis, a query from the person who'd taken me to the clinic, he made me jump off the bed.
My back had just popped like meat in a pan and he asked me to jump.

Anyway, I was subject to bouts of agony many years thereafter and even now, in 2018, I can't bend over for long periods of time and certain activities murder me. Long car rides? F-ck yeah. I couldn't even talk the last time my back acted up.

Stupid way for it to happen. Then there were the incidents that had preceded it... all of them, quite humorously, involved trampolines. And carelessness.

I have many other stories. But they don't make me sound dashing so I won't say them.

Probably the one from last week. I got attacked by a door. So this particular door has a normal handle to pull it open from the outside, and a GIANT pushbar to push it open from the inside. I was not expecting a giant pushbar on the other side of the door and whacked my arm against it. I whacked it so hard I immediately got a bruise. It is now a week later and I still have a giant purple bruise but at least it's not as bad as last week. I mean, obviously, right? But what I mean is that now it is in the shape of an apple, whereas last week it looked like a freaking hickey. ^=__=^;; My friends were starting to wonder if I had some sort of weird fetish. ^@__@^;;

Some couple of years ago I went riding a scooter down a slope (not an e-scooter mind you). Since 5-years-ago me forgot how to brake momentarily, I did the next best thing, called jumping off the scooter and scraping my knees along the cement. The scars are still here.

Thank god I never decided to learn how to ride a bike.

Dumbest way I got injured? Easy thing to remember. I was doing a stupid dance in front of my mom as part of a joke I was telling her. I was wearing socks and the floor was linoleum. I fell on my back and busted my head on the table. I needed stitching and the doctor told me I was lucky that is all I needed. All because of a joke I was telling my mom.

A few years ago I was trying to re-attach a wheel to one of those rolling trashcans and I accidentally dropped it on my left foot. Unfortunately for me its rubber part had come off beforehand and the sharp edged plastic part ended up taking a small bit of flesh off the tip of my big toe.

The dumbest way I was injured? That would either be heading to the bus and tripping on the concrete with big scrapes on my hands or running into a wall.

Back
Top Bottom