• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest: Pokémon isn't the only monster-training game

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Compare & Contrast: Dragon Quest: Pokémon isn't the only monster-training game

The Dragon Quest series has been called the grand-daddy of all modern console RPGs (and it itself was inspired by Wizardry and Ultima, so are they the great grand-daddies?), spanning nine games in the main series, and a tenth scheduled for the Wii.

Read more on Bulbanews

I wonder when X is coming out?

Dragon Quest in my opinion is the best JRPG ever. IV was one of the first to show a live on screen transformation with Psaro (Saro).
DQV is my favourite one, as everyone who know me might know. Catching Pokémon might be easier, but you know you are awesome when you recruit the elusive Liquid Metal Slime!
You could compare it something like a Pokémon with +6 evasion, 999 points in Defense and 999 points in speed. And it runs away most of the time at the first time it gets.

Monster comparisons (no human characters included):
We've got the healer: Healslime, Cureslime, King CureslimeChansey line and Audino
We've got somewhat powerhouses: Giantes, Nimzo, Estark, Bjorn the Beheemoose (Nimzo is unrecruitable, Estark's son is recruitable, Bjorn is recruitable at level 1 as Rebjorn) Pseudo-legendary
Weaklings: Slime (has usefulness later on past level 20) Magikarp

Well, if you've never played the game then I suggest you do, it's a great game.

My friend said these game are better then pokemon because the events are more likely then pokemon.

I have played many games in this series, and I can say, I honestly am a bigger fan of DQ than I am of Pokemon.

I mean, I love Pokemon, but one thing I enjoy is a game that has so much focus on storyline. Plus, Pokemon gets rather competitive post game, and the stories themselves seem to recycle elements at times, good or bad, even if the characters are unique.

Basically, I play DQ for story and Pokemon for gameplay. Simple enough?

Dragon Quest rocks.
I like Dragon Warrior III and Dragon Quest IX a lot (I haven't played V)
Give me sum X! Dragon Quest needs to pull ahead of Final Fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom