• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Competitive Beedrill

Master Mew

Level 7
Reaction score
Yes, it's an oxymoron, I know. Playing with Beedrill on your team is like playing with a handicap, but this spiky wasp is one of my favorite pokemon, so bear with me here:

Hypothetically, let's say that (for some awful reason) you were building a team and you were required to have Beedrill on it (no one else, just you :p), how would you do it?

He's outclassed by other things in pretty much every role and, while he does learn Endeavor, his only priority move (that I'm aware of) is Pursuit, and nothing is going to switch out on Beedrill so he can't even FEAR properly.

Is there anything this bug can do with moderate efficacy?

It can effectively be used for sitting in the PC of a living Dex

Beedrill @ Focus Sash
Swarm
Adamant
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
~Tailwind
~X-Scissor
~Endeavor
~Drill Run/Poison Jab

1. Use Tailwind
2. Use Swarm-boosted X-Scissor (if you think you can kill) or Endeavor (if you know you won't kill)
3. Die
4. Bring in a slow but threatening sweeper that can abuse Tailwind
5. Profit!!!

Pursuit isn't necessarily a priority move; if the target doesn't switch, it has regular priority, so yeah.

I was just gonna suggest Swords Dance or something, but -Glory Blaze-'s set seems more useful in general. XD

^_^""" Beedrill gets toxic spikes right? Then I would use him as a toxic spikes setter/status annoyer lead! I have a Kricketune that I use that way, (but with sticky web) and it works pretty well! Since the cricket is so squishy, at max defenses he can survive most hits long enough to get in a sticky web... or even a sing or taunt depending on how I feel :V Beedrill has much better defenses, but a less adept pool for annoying than Kricketune.... so I'm thinking this set;

Beedrill @ Black Sludge
Impish nature
252 HP 252 defense and 4 special defense
Toxic Spikes
U-turn
Roost
Protect/Toxic/Attract/Endeavor (Or whatever else you can think of XD)
I actually think this set will work pretty well :3 You just set up and run! then you can come in later and restore toxic spikes if they remove it or absorb another person's spikes.

^_^""" Beedrill gets toxic spikes right? Then I would use him as a toxic spikes setter/status annoyer lead! I have a Kricketune that I use that way, (but with sticky web) and it works pretty well! Since the cricket is so squishy, at max defenses he can survive most hits long enough to get in a sticky web... or even a sing or taunt depending on how I feel :V Beedrill has much better defenses, but a less adept pool for annoying than Kricketune.... so I'm thinking this set;

Beedrill @ Black Sludge
Impish nature
252 HP 252 defense and 4 special defense
Toxic Spikes
U-turn
Roost
Protect/Toxic/Attract/Endeavor (Or whatever else you can think of XD)
I actually think this set will work pretty well :3 You just set up and run! then you can come in later and restore toxic spikes if they remove it or absorb another person's spikes.

252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Beedrill: 344-408 (102.9 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Beedrill: 354-419 (105.9 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Beedrill: 342-404 (102.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Beedrill in Sun: 750-884 (224.5 - 264.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Beedrill: 596-704 (178.4 - 210.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Beedrill: 440-522 (131.7 - 156.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Beedrill: 336-396 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Beedrill: 474-558 (141.9 - 167%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Beedrill: 362-428 (108.3 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

etc

Not a good idea in OU, sorry. :(

That was fast lol
Yup he is KOed by alot of things even at max defense, but still, isn't a bulky (for beedrill) set better than a sweeping set which will never sweep anything? XD you could also just run focush sash~

That was fast lol
Yup he is KOed by alot of things even at max defense, but still, isn't a bulky (for beedrill) set better than a sweeping set which will never sweep anything? XD you could also just run focush sash~

Sweeper Beedrill wold be even more pathetic, even with his newly-buffed base 90 Attack. The only even slightly viable Beedrill set in OU is the suicide support one I posted, IMO. And suicide Spikers tend to suck this gen because Defog makes it so easy to remove hazards and Spikes of both varieties require multiple turns to set up. TSpikes especially tend to be a waste of time since just switching in a Venusaur or Tentacruel or whatever causes them to go away.

Thanks @-Glory Blaze-! I have a Clawitzer that I usually set Trick Room for who might benefit from this setup - I'll give it a shot and if it works well then I'll set about finding something a little more "threatening" than shrimp-mon. :p

How about one of these...

Beedrill @ Focus Sash
Swarm
(1) Adamant or (2) Brave
(1) 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd or (2) 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp Def, 0 IVs Spd
~Fell Stinger
~X-Scissor
~Endeavor
~Drill Run/Poison Jab

Use it as a late-game sweeper that abuses either Tailwind (1) or Trick Room (2).
Endeavor + Fell Stinger = Moxie x2

Oh that's true, I forgot about Fell Stinger. I'm not sure that, even with max HP investment, Beedrill is going to be taking any hits (and if he is will he take more than he would have if Sash had activated?), though. I think adding Tailwind to your first set (replacing Poison Jab, which basically makes it Glory Blaze's set + Fell Stinger) would be interesting. That way Beedrill can set Tailwind, attack, and then if by some miracle he survives to the next turn he can finish with Fell Stinger for the boost and put a big dent in the next 'mon.

I love the idea of setting Beedrill up for his own sweep but his fragility and lack of priority moves makes me wary of trying to pass any buffs to him.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom