• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Competitive Team for Gen IV needs rating...

Aerospacer

Green Skittles ≈ Lysol
Reaction score
Hello there! First off, let me explain something to you all to prevent confusion... just because I've never battled competitively does not mean I'm a noob. I've researched Smogon and other sites like crazy, then even gotten another person to rate my team on the Serebii forum. Now just to be safe, would any of you mind just checking this over? And please don't give me any posts saying "This team really sucks!" because it won't do you much good. I like to battle with my favorites, and luckily, they aren't exactly pushovers. So here we go...

* = Already caught/bred/EV trained

GalladeJolly / Expert Belt *
252 Atk | 242 Spe | 16 Hp
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

MiloticBold / Leftovers *
252 Hp | 252 Sp.D | 6 Spe
- Surf
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

TyranitarJolly / Muscle Band or Chople Berry
60 HP | 252 Att | 196 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake

MetagrossAdamant / Occa Berry [Lead Pokemon]
252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion

DragoniteCareful / Leftovers
252 HP | 216 SpD | 40 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Outrage or Dragon Claw

Last one:
Raikou or Lucario? Raikou will eliminate bulky waters which threaten Tyranitar and even Dragonite [most carry Ice Beam], but Lucario's typing is an extreme benefit because of Sand Stream immunity, 4x resistance to Dark, and his/her versatility. Sounds like I'm biased towards Lucario, doesn't it? They both have dual Ground weaknesses though, but Raikou can remove that with Magnet Rise. Well, haha, please tell me which would give my team the most synergy!

RaikouModest / Life Orb *
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Extrasensory [For the flinchax]
- Magnet Rise

LucarioModest or Timid / Choice Specs
252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Vacuum Wave

That's it so far. My main concerns are item choices, a few natures, some moves, and a large weakness to Ground attacks. However, that is slightly overruled because 2/3 of the ones weak to Ground attacks have Earthquake themselves. But anyways, thank you for taking your time to read this! :)

Last edited:
Self-explanatory or not, the EVs have to be visible, I'm afraid.

Oh darn. Sorry about that little failure!

EVs:

Gallade: 252 Atk | 242 Spe | 16 Hp

Milotic: 252 Hp | 252 Sp.D | 6 Spe

Tyranitar: 60 HP | 252 Att | 196 Speed

Metagross: 252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 HP

Dragonite: 252 HP | 216 SpD | 40 Spe

Raikou: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe

Lucario: 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe

Hope that helps. :)

What do you have trouble with, how do you go about playing?

Well, the "trouble" is actually that I've never battled competitively before, and I just wasn't sure if my team was quite ready for any of that. Does that clear any confusion up? I'm not trying to be a bother, lol, I'm just really new to all this stuff. [And nice signature, haha.]

Well, the "trouble" is actually that I've never battled competitively before, and I just wasn't sure if my team was quite ready for any of that. Does that clear any confusion up? I'm not trying to be a bother, lol, I'm just really new to all this stuff. [And nice signature, haha.]
I think what Angad is asking is what you do with the Pokemon. What tactics and plans you have. How they work together to cover weaknesses and who leads. That sort of thing.

Also, what particular enemy Pokes give your team trouble.

Also, Hidden Power is determined by IVs, not EVs. You might have to scrap the Raikou if it doesn't fit or give it a different move.

That's what he means? Oh... this is embarrassing. I want Metagross to function as a lead and set up Stealth Rock, but if the opponent's lead has an advantage, I'll send out a Pokemon to cover its Ground/Fire weakness. That could be either Milotic or Dragonite. Common leads such as Infernape or a Gliscor are weak to Water and Ice respectively, so I'd send Milotic out because she'd pick them off. If it was an Azelf lead, I'd send Tyranitar, because Explosion wouldn't do as much damage. The opponent would likely send out something with Grass Knot or an Electric move, so I'd predict the move and switch into Dragonite and use Dragon Dance + Outrage to get rid out the counter. If I got unlucky and the next counter [Which would probably be an Ice type looking for an easy KO] knocked Dragonite out due to being locked into Outrage, I'd send out Metagross and use Meteor Mash. Once again, the opponent might send out another Pokemon with a Fire-type move. I could possibly be caught off guard and attack anyway, but the Occa Berry would weaken the Fire attack, while the enemy would be damaged as well. If all else fails, Metagross would explode on them and guarantee another KO as long as the counter wasn't Blissey. If it was, I would have sent out Tyranitar or Gallade to deal with her... and so on. It seems that Ground types would cause problems, as well as fast and heavy hitters with a large array of moves. Is that what you meant by tactics and plans? If not, I'm really sorry you had to read all that. o_o

Explosion actually does less on Metagross than Tyranitar, since it has that great base 130 Defense.

Really? Ah, I overlooked that... and as for scrapping Raikou, if its IVs aren't suited, then that's fine. A Lucario might actually be better because of all those benefits and the fact that I can breed for a flawless IV. I'm getting a lot more help on here than I thought, thank you all very much for what you're doing. :)

Have you tested it on Pokémon Online? That could really help.
So, I've been thinking about this team, and I think that what could help is Starmie. It's just a thought, but it seems like an Ice type move would force Dragonite out. With Stealth Rock, which was a problem on one of my old teams, damage keeps racking up. So I ran a Rapid Spin Starmie set

Starmie@Leftovers--Natural Cure--Timid
~ Rapid Spin
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Recover
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Which really helped. You can rapid spin off stones to clear the way for Nite, and take care of bulky waters at the same time with Thudnerbolt. Starmie's pretty powerful too, so it seems like this would really help your team.

Like Thundagere said, you'll need to battle to see how it works. Use either Pokemon Online or seek WiFi battles to see what does well and what needs changing. You could start off with 5v5 without Lucario or Raikou and after a decent amount of battles decide which would help most, or if you should change the team as a whole and get completely different Pokemon and moves in.

As always, I'm sure there are many here who would like to help you along the way.

Interesting! People always talk about Starmie's potential, plus the fact that it can run Rapid Spin. I'll give that a thought even though I'd be kinda sad if I replaced Milotic though. ): But no worries! We'll see soon enough, I like that RestTalk set, but Rapid Spin might open up some new tactics. Too bad Metagross can't learn Rapid Spin...

And thanks for the tips, I'll go look at PokemonOnline right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll manually warn you, please don't double post. Everyone does it at a point, and I'm sure you'll learn.

Double posting, okay... I won't do that in the future. Thanks for telling me before I did it at the wrong moment.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom