• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Competitive Team for Gen IV needs rating...

If it was an Azelf lead, I'd send Tyranitar, because Explosion wouldn't do as much damage.

I'd recommend being a little more careful when dealing with Azelf leads. Many players choose to run a Choice Band set with U-Turn that will hit Tyranitar pretty hard on the switch and give your opponent positive offensive momentum.

PS: will give rate later because not on main computer atm

Sorry about that, I forgot to mention that I'd try to take it out with Crunch. But from what you all have been saying, it appears switching into Metagross would be more effective. That little pixie thing is a lot more dangerous than it looks, lol. And here's and early thank-you for your rating! Oh, and I've also looked at PokemonOnline and downloaded it but it's a little bit confusing. I'm currently EV-training my Milotic and I'll breed for a perfect Larvitar/Dratini with Dragon Dance soon, then I'll import a Beldum. Those darn Riolu still won't show up in the Safari Zone, but I believe it'll be well worth it. :)

On PO, bascially all you do is make the team and play it. See how it goes, if it goes well, let us know and perfect your team. Once it can't possibly get better, then make the Wifi version.
And be careful with Metagross, some Azelf also carry Fire Blast.

Thanks for the info. I might put Pursuit on Metagross just to help eliminate a few Azelf leads that try to escape, but only if they begin to give me any trouble. It has other uses too, so I may give it a little more consideration.

Looks like it's time to get started with the the rating!

Your team and overall strategy is actually pretty good considering that you're only a beginner. There are, however, a few changes that I think you should make.

First, change Metagross's item to Lum Berry and its EV spread to 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe. Occa Berry Metagross is a little outdated as a lead because it loses to the common Lead LO Heatran with Overheat. The EV spread I gave you maximizes overall bulk to complement Metagross's decent defensive typing at the expense of unneeded speed.

Use Thundagere's Rapid Spin Starmie set in place of Milotic. Milotic is a cool Pokemon to use on semi-stall teams in OU, but Starmie is much better on offensive teams such as this one.

Even with a Chople Berry, Tyranitar will probably not be able to survive strong fighting-type attacks. A Babiri Berry Dragon Dance Tyranitar seems to be more appropriate for your team than the Tyranitar set that you posted. A Babiri Berry is a great item for this Tyranitar to hold because it allows Tyranitar to defeat Scizor, one of its common checks, and potentially pull off a sweep.

Consider placing a Swords Dance Lucario somewhere on your team. It's a grate late-game sweeper that requires little-to-no team support to work effectively.

Bulky DD Dragonite isn't really necessary because you already have several capable sweepers. Try using a Stall-breaking Dragonite in place of your current set. Mixed Dragonite can tear apart defensive cores and potentially give one of your other Pokemon a chance to sweep.

Lastly, try out a Choice Scarf Shaymin as your designated revenge killer. It appears to be a good fit for this team.

Summary of changes:

Standard Lum Berry Metagross --> Custom Occa Berry Metagross
Rapid Spin Starmie --> RestTalk Milotic
Babiri Berry Dragon Dance Tyranitar --> Custom Dragon Dance Tyranitar
Stall-breaking Dragonite --> Bulky DD Dragonite
(Optional) Swords Dance Lucario
(Optional) Choice Scarf Shaymin

Here are the sets for your reference:
Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Tyranitar (M) @ Babiri Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Roost

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Okay, I think I'll take many of those changes back to my team. The main reason I was trying to run a bulky DD-nite was for the added benefit of a cleric. Funny thing is, I almost put that set on my team, but I lost interest after I saw the cleric set. Swords Dance Lucario is probably going to replace Raikou (bad IVs) and I have to admit, having 3 Pokemon immune to Sand Stream will definitely help. I'd just like to say thanks for all the help everyone gave me, and I believe I will take it from here myself. Thank you all for what you've done! :)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom