• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Complete My Team!

What would be a good third Pokémon for Super Singles? So far I have:

Ursaring
Adamant, Quick Feet, Toxic Orb
-Facade
-Shadow Claw
-Bulk Up
-Brick Break

Medicham
Jolly, Pure Power, Expert Belt (replace with Life Orb?)
-Hi Jump Kick
-ThunderPunch
-IcePunch
-Zen Headbutt

Would Arcanine be a good team member? I have one already that I like:

Arcanine
Adamant, Flash Fire, Electric Gem
-Thunder Fang
-Iron Tail
-Flare Blitz
-Extreme Speed

Or is there anything else I could use?

What would be a good third Pokémon for Super Singles? So far I have:

Ursaring
Adamant, Quick Feet, Toxic Orb
-Facade
-Shadow Claw
-Bulk Up
-Brick Break

Medicham
Jolly, Pure Power, Expert Belt (replace with Life Orb?)
-Hi Jump Kick
-ThunderPunch
-IcePunch
-Zen Headbutt

Would Arcanine be a good team member? I have one already that I like:

Arcanine
-Thunder Fang
-Iron Tail
-Flare Blitz
-Extreme Speed

Or is there anything else I could use?

Seeing how you already have 2 Physical attackers, a Special attacker might be the better option. Houndoom's ok, but no electric type move. I would say Rotom heat might be your best option.

Rotom
Modest / Timid, Levitate, Choice Specs / Scarf(Maybe Leftovers?)
- Overheat
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass](If possible) / Thunderbolt
- Trick / Shadow Ball

This might work out for you, but you may go with the Arcanine instead.

Seeing how you already have 2 Physical attackers, a Special attacker might be the better option. Houndoom's ok, but no electric type move. I would say Rotom heat might be your best option.

Rotom
Modest / Timid, Levitate, Choice Specs / Scarf(Maybe Leftovers?)
- Overheat
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass](If possible) / Thunderbolt
- Trick / Shadow Ball

This might work out for you, but you may go with the Arcanine instead.

Rotom sounds great, it is allowed in the Subway right?

PkmnGreen -
Arcanine
-Thunder Fang
-Iron Tail
-Flare Blitz
-Extreme Speed
I'm not very good at this but I think that Wild Charge would generally work better than Thunder Fang. With a much powerful electric move, you can replace Electric Gem with a Leftovers or Life Orb instead. Leftovers allows you to recover from the recoil damages while Life Orb just allows you to fire off powerful moves that would probably OHKO most of your foes.

PkmnGreen -

I'm not very good at this but I think that Wild Charge would generally work better than Thunder Fang. With a much powerful electric move, you can replace Electric Gem with a Leftovers or Life Orb instead. Leftovers allows you to recover from the recoil damages while Life Orb just allows you to fire off powerful moves that would probably OHKO most of your foes.

Yeah, that sounds much better, thanks :D

Can someone recomend any improvements for my team and a EV spread for latias? Thanks!

Terrikion
Item: Hard Stone
Nature:Jolly
Ability:Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 ATA / 252 SPE
Moves:
-Protect
-Close Combat
-Rock Slide
-Arial ace

Terrikion's main use in this team is to get Weavile to use Beat Up on it then try to 1HKO with Close Combat or Rock slide. Arial ace to counter the rage powder users.

Weavile
Item: Normal Gem
Ability:pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE
Moves:
-Ice punch
-Beat Up
-Return (With max happiness)
-Brick Brake

Weavile will use beat up to power Terrikion up. After that he'll start fighting. Ice punch is for Thunderus and Garchomp (or other Flying and Dragon pokemon) Return is for some more bulky pokemon which will have 120 ATA and a normal Gem to further boost it's power. Brick Brake is to counter other Beat up teams.

Thundurus
Item: Zap PLate
Nature:Docile
Ability:prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SPA / 252 SPE
Moves:
-Nasty Plot
-Thunder Bolt
-Discharge
-Sludge Bomb

Thundurus is my back up Sp.attack pokemon, he's got Nasty plot if he needs it and thunder bolt if there's one main pokemon I wanna hurt and Discharge for two. Sludge bomb is for grass types or pokemon that electric isn't so good against.

Hydreigon
Item: Persim Berry
Ability:Levitate
Moves:
-Fire Fang
-Ice Fang
-Thunder Fang
-Outrage

Hydreigon is ment for harming all sorts of types by using his F/I/T Fang and Outrage as a last resort.

Landorus
Item: Ground gem
Ability:Sand Force
Moves:
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fly
-Brick Break

Landorus is my back up Attaker. His Earthquake is to try and 1HKO both enemy pokemon with STAB and the Ground Gem.

Latias
Item: Water gem
Nature:Modest
EVs: (I wanna raise SP.D and SP.A and speed but I don't know how to give those 3 a good even spred)
Moves:
-Surf
-Draco meteor
-Thunder
-Mist ball

latias is ment to do damage to fighting types and it's ment to attack drought pokemon with water gem surf and rain teams using thunder. I was going to use Latios but latias's defences are higher and it should be able to survive attacks to use rain dance if nessersary and do good damage.

Harman
Well I suppose I can suggest for a couple or three.

Terrikion
Item: Hard Stone
Ability:Justified
Moves:
-Protect
-Close Combat
-Rock Slide
-Arial ace

Terrikion's main use in this team is to get Weavile to use Beat Up on it then try to 1HKO with Close Combat or Rock slide. Arial ace to counter the rage powder users.
Since you mentioned using Beat Up on Terrakion, I suppose this would be a team constructed for Random Matchup. Whimsicott is generally a better Beat Up partner as it has access to Prankster which gives non-attacking moves a +1 priority allowing it not only to use Beat Up on Terrakion but also support it with Tailwind and other moves. Also, the Hard Stone is not really such a good item. I suggest Life Orb since it will make Terrakion even more deadly than it is without it. As for the moveset, all is good except Aerial Ace. There's X-Scissor which has a higher base power and allows Terrakion not only to hit common Rage Powder users such as Parasect and Amoongus but also allow it to hit Psychic, Grass, and some other Dark(although you'd probably use Fighting for this one).

Hydreigon
Item: Persim Berry
Moves:
-Fire Fang
-Ice Fang
-Thunder Fang
-Outrage

Hydreigon is ment for harming all sorts of types by using his F/I/T Fang and Outrage as a last resort.
Um, I don't think you know what Hydreigon is used for. Its Sp Attack is what makes it a good Pokemon so using it as a physical attacker would make it less effective. Sure its Attack is great but using Sp Attack will allow you to use Hydreigon at its full potential so I'll go ahead and suggest special moves:
Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse - The former allows Hydreigon to annilihate pretty mcuh anything that doesn't have a decent Sp Def and isn't a steel type. The catch is that your Sp Attack is lowered by 2 stages. The latter, however, allows Hydreigon to sweep much longer but is less powerful than the former. Either move is great, but choose whichever you think is better.
Dark Pulse - A reliable STAB move which allows Hydreigon to hit Psychic and Ghost types. Also has a flinch rate but is quite rare so don't rely on it too much.
Flamethrower - Flamethrower allows is just for those Bug foes you don't want to get damaged from like Scizor for instance.
Focus Blast / Protect - Focus Blast, in conjunction with Flamethrower, provides a very good coverage and the only decent Pokemon that can resist the synergy are Flying/Dragon. It is, unfortunately, quite inaccurate but it is very powerful. Protect allows you to use Hydreigon as a lure to common Random Matchup Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Starmie, Hydreigon, Salamence, Dragonite which would make your foe try to hit Hydreigon allowing its partner to deal damage to the foe.

Latias
Item: Water gem
Nature:Modest
EVs: (I wanna raise SP.D and SP.A and speed but I don't know how to give those 3 a good even spred)
Moves:
-Surf
-Draco meteor
-Thunder
-Mist ball

latias is ment to do damage to fighting types and it's ment to attack drought pokemon with water gem surf and rain teams using thunder. I was going to use Latios but latias's defences are higher and it should be able to survive attacks to use rain dance if nessersary and do good damage.
For the EV spread, definitely max out Speed. So I suppose a good SpAtt/SpDef/Speed spread would be 152/100/252 but I don't know I don't really do that. Your explanation about her role is already great although Mist Ball can be replaced by Psychic or Psyshock. Psychic allows you to hit Fighting enemies in general while Psyshock allows you to hit Blissey with physical damage based on your SpAtt. Either move will be great for Latias.

@Affinity

Thanks alot but my team is acctually for the 2012 VGC, The reason i'm using beatup terrikion is because I used it last year and it got me alot further than i've ever been (I only got defeated because I didn't know about the rage powder stratagy)

For Terrikion i'll do X-scisor and give it a life orb and about Whimcicott I think i'd rather do Weavile because even tho Whim is good but after I used beat up he became kinda useless

For Latias i'll consider giving it psyshock

For Hydreigon I acctually like it's current moveset but if you think I sould change it I will but It did really good in the 2011 VGC and I once beat someone (An 'online friend') in a single battle and it didn't even get toched!

You can see my team and my hydreigon battle in this Vid:
[video=youtube;tPW7A0nzqjE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPW7A0nzqjE&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

Thanks and i'd appreciate it if other's would help me.

That was a great match(random matchup is pretty much the same as VGC anyway. 2 on 2 Doubles on level 50) but the only reason you may find Whimsicott useless is because you're not using Prankster. Whimsicott is a support Pokemon, not an offensive sweeping kind. With Prankster, you get priority Charm, Stun Spore, Encore, and other more tricks. But if you still would like to stick with Weaville then go ahead, whatever floats your boat.

The Hydreigon sort of only won due to hax. Also, it is not really that good since the elemental fangs only have like 65 base power not to mention none receives STAB. Sure you get perfect coverage but then if you can't deal enough damage then it's quite pointless. Leave some coverage for your teammate. Hydreigon isn't the only Pokemon so having perfect coverage for the cost of power is kind of pointless. Like let's say Hydreigon with Landorus. You can make the two work together by using Earthquake and making Hydreigon just knock out the survivors. In that way, you can make both players work together. But if you want to keep it, it's fine. I'm just saying that having Hydreigon doing special moves would be more effective.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post, your team is quite weak to Ice. Maybe Latias can take a few Ice Beams but Landorus and Thunderus can't afford to get hit by an Ice Beam due to being so frail. Terrakion can counter Ice-type threats but eventually will wear out. I'm not telling you to revise your team, just counter Ice.

Last edited:
Why don't you just run a special Hydreigon with Dragon Pulse / Dark Pulse / Flamethrower / Protect? I used one like that in my VGC 2011 team.

@Affinity
OK i'll do a Whimsicott with Prankster and give it moves like Stun Spore and Encore and i'll switch to a special Hydriegon, but how do I counter ice???

@Heathcliff Huxtable
Ok, thanks! I'll use that moveset! but what item?

Also what do you think about a prankster Whim with:

-beat up
-Stun spore
-Toxic
-Helping hand

I'm not really sure about toxic tho.... (might replace it with protect)

Last edited:
Don't use Toxic. Use either Tailwind, Encore, or Switcheroo. Tailwind allows your partner(Terrakion probably) to be faster than nearly anything. I'm not sure if you'll outspeed Sand Rush Excadrill but you'll definitely outspeed a lot of foes. Encore allows you to mess with your enemy. Once Whimsicott's presence is in the battlefield, I doubt anything would dare set up or Protect from you fearing the endless Encore. Last, but sort of the least, is Switcheroo. It will not be as useful as the formerly mentioned moves but I suppose this one would work well if you're letting Whimsicott hold Iron Ball. The idea here is to use Switcheroo to switch your Iron Ball/Lagging Tail with your enemy's item which could potentially cripple the foe. I haven't tried this yet but I suppose it would work at times, though it will definitely be less used than Tailwind or Encore.

@Affinity
I'll proberly use encore as Stun spore is proberly better than Switcheroo and Terrikion is pretty fast on it's own...

@PkmnGreen
I could but some ice types might outspeed Hydreigon and it'll be super efective... but I guess that is the best i'll proberly do so i'll just go with it.

Thanks for all your help guys!!! I really appreciate it!

Also, What'ya think about replacing Thundurus's Sludge bomb with sludge wave

Last edited:
Focus Blast would probably be better since Ferrothorn's prevalent appearance would just wall/fend Thundurus off. Yes, the accuracy is quite repulsive but it's quite a decent move.

Last edited:
(I keep making posts around the BST forum...)
Hello!
I have a problem regarding Swampert in BW and Metagross in DP...
See, my Swampert is going to use a Defensive set...problem is, it can't hold the Leftovers. Is there any item that I can use instead of Leftovers?
And...Metagross will be using the Lead set later on! The problem is...I don't want to use Explosion. Can I change it with Earthquake instead?
Thanks!

Hello,
i have just started to create my first team for use on wi-fi, and i wanted some help finishing it off.
now, all i want is a "little" feed back and generaly a few improvements you think i should make. also i need a lead for my team if you could help me with that.
so, i just need a small bit of help finishing off my team.
i'm one pokemon down (lead) and i dont mind changing the team a little. (moves, items, one or two pokemon)

anyway, here is the list of pokemon followed by moves, EVs...

Special wall/ annoyer: Umbreon @???
Calm/careful Hp-252, Sp.D-252, Def-4
Moonlight, confuseray, Faint Attack, Toxic

Physical wall: Skarmory @Shed Shell
Impish Hp-252, Def-252, Spd-4
Spikes/ Stealth rock, Whirlwind, Roost, Brave bird?

Tank: Milotic @Leftovers
Calm Hp-252, Def-200, Sp.D-56
Rest, Sleep Talk, surf, Ice Beam

Physical sweeper: Venusaur @life orb
Jolly Spd-252, Atk-252, Hp-4
Swords dance, synthesis, sleep powder, earthquake

Special sweeper: Espeon @bright powder?
Timid Sp.a-252, Spd-216, Hp-40
Psychic, shadow ball, calm mind, morning sun

anyway, thanks for any help.

--jackjt8

@jackjt8 ; Venusaur is much more suited to the role of a special sweeper, with its SpAttack being noticeably higher than its Attack stat. I'm assuming that the Pokémon you've listed there have no Dream World abilities (due to you not posting their abilities at all), so getting rid of Venusaur to make way for another, more powerful physical sweeper would be a good idea. Espeon would benefit more from holding a Life Orb, too, instead of Brightpowder.

Umbreon isn't really that effective in competitive battling at the moment, so getting rid of it for something that can do its job better would be advised. A standard Blissey or Chansey set can stall far more effectively against threats that are floating about at the moment, and combines with Skarmory to form the other half of the infamous SkarmBliss core.

Other than replacing Espeon's held item, having more than two damaging moves would be a good idea to maximise coverage - especially seeing as Psychic- and Ghost-type attacks have pretty much the same coverage. Getting rid of Morning Sun to make way for a type of Hidden Power, preferably Fighting, would make it the standard Calm Mind set suggested by Smogon. Espeon doesn't exactly have great defensive stat anyway, so trying to heal is not going to be necessarily helpful.

(I keep making posts around the BST forum...)
Hello!
I have a problem regarding Swampert in BW and Metagross in DP...
See, my Swampert is going to use a Defensive set...problem is, it can't hold the Leftovers. Is there any item that I can use instead of Leftovers?
And...Metagross will be using the Lead set later on! The problem is...I don't want to use Explosion. Can I change it with Earthquake instead?
Thanks!

If you're playing GBU singles or doubles, Rindo Berry is a fine replacement for Leftovers on Swampert. If anything, Rindo Berry is probably more useful than Leftovers in that environment.

You can definitely run a set of Meteor Mash / Earthquake / Bullet Punch / Stealth Rock on a lead Metagross. Explosion, however, is usually preferred for its immense power and its ability to deal massive damage to pretty much anything that isn't a ghost or a defensive steel.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom