• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Completion of the National Pokedex - Better reward required!

Virbank Video

Reaction score
Sorry if there is a thread on this topic somewhere in the murky depths of the 191 pages but I'm blatantly not going to search through the whoooole bunch.

I'm just interested to hear what people think about only getting a certificate when you complete the National Dex. As we all know, it's no mean feat catching/trading that many Pokemon.

So, Pokemen and women out there, what do you think you should get in return for that momentous achievement? Your favourite Pokemon in shiny form sent over Wi-Fi? A hand-written letter from Professor Oak himself? Maybe a ride on a real-life Dragonite over the Indian Ocean?

Seriously though - something more than a cyber certificate...am I right?!

I think you ought to be able to get something more than a certificate, at this point in time, it is a challenge to collect all 649 Pokemon on a single game card. You have to catch, evolve, trade for, download, and hatch to get all those Pokemon, you should at least be able to get something, like a shiny legendary Pokemon or something( preferably one you cant get via normal means) that is unlocked only by completing the National Dex.

I wish they would up the reward. I don't care how, but a little diploma doesn't cut it...

I agree, just getting a certificate isn't enough.
What would be a good reward, though? A real life Pokémon!!! Maybe a new species of Pokémon that you could only get by completing your Dex, or at least the chance to catch one. Something special and unique like that, anyway. Not just a boring certificate.

I agree with everyone here. I don't want a stupid certificate! It's not rewarding enough.

I'm glad but also slightly saddened to see that people are on the same boat. We deserve better! I always knew that all you got was an in-game certificate but still (obviously) wanted to complete a National Pokedex. It's a live one too which takes a lot more effort than the already difficult task of just obtaining the Pokemons data. Now that I've done it though I can't see myself having the determination to keep on top of it when new Pokemon are introduced. There just isn't any incentive.

I would be cool with when you do it a random Nintendo Guy shows up at your house and hands you the Exact amount of Pokemon there are (which at this time is 649) in pennies. Better than an in game Certificate. Idk about you but 6 bucks can be really helpful

I would be cool with when you do it a random Nintendo Guy shows up at your house and hands you the Exact amount of Pokemon there are (which at this time is 649) in pennies. Better than an in game Certificate. Idk about you but 6 bucks can be really helpful

or what if Game Freak mails you a hard copy of the Diploma with cert. of authenticity and a frame? :ching:

Considering how Black 2/White 2 has the new medal feature, I imagine there will obviously be one for completing the National Pokédex - so you can stick it on your trainer card and brag about it xD.

I liked how in Pokémon Yellow, you could print off the Diploma via Gameboy Printer. Maybe they could let us print off a diploma by linking a game with a complete national Pokédex to the Global Link website?

@Professor Jacel

Love the pennies idea but I reckon we deserve a pound (or a dollar) per Pokemon. 649 quid...that's more like it!

@Sonic10158

Also a fan of the hard copy idea. An actual framed certificate. Signed by Oak!

Heck, with all the new formes they could give you an Arceus in a different forme (This is a total joke. Don't get all PO'd.). They could do something, even a free house in the Dream World you can only get that way would be better than a diploma you have to go to an in-game character to even look at.

You all seem to forget that your trainer card changes colour, in addition to the certificate.

Maybe you can send a email to NoA or Game Freak showing proof of all 649/646 Pokémon caught, then a real-life diploma will be sent, with the availabilty to download uncatchable Pokémon without events.

or what if Game Freak mails you a hard copy of the Diploma with cert. of authenticity and a frame? :ching:

Maybe you can send a email to NoA or Game Freak showing proof of all 649/646 Pokémon caught, then a real-life diploma will be sent, with the availabilty to download uncatchable Pokémon without events.

How can they tell if that person legitimately completed the Pokedex, and didn't just use an AR? =P I know I'd do that if it meant I can get a diploma from GAME FREAK personally.

How can they tell if that person legitimately completed the Pokedex, and didn't just use an AR? =P I know I'd do that if it meant I can get a diploma from GAME FREAK personally.

Maybe they can send the game cart in and thus GAME FREAK would know. If someone hacked in a level 9 Mewtwo, then GAME FREAK would just send the cart back with no diploma. If there was a Pokémon with hacked stats, no diploma. Hacked moves? No diploma.

I can still remember being so excited when I found the Game Freak guy in that building who said he had a special reward for me, and working so hard as a little kid to catch all 150 pokemon in Blue on my Game Boy.

and then being so very disappointed when I saw what I got. :(

It hasn't really changed in so many years. :(

Maybe they can send the game cart in and thus GAME FREAK would know. If someone hacked in a level 9 Mewtwo, then GAME FREAK would just send the cart back with no diploma. If there was a Pokémon with hacked stats, no diploma. Hacked moves? No diploma.

There are those who are experts at Pokesav. They can make any Pokemon look legit. I'm almost at such a level. Plus what Bidoofus would hack Mewtwo at level 9?! They should save their time and go straight to level 100.

Then again, game carts modified by Action Replay are banned from official tournaments... But of course, I can just use two games and use one game to hack, and the second game for a "legit" Pokedex.

...I swear, I'm an honest person in real life. o_o;

There are those who are experts at Pokesav. They can make any Pokemon look legit. I'm almost at such a level. Plus what Bidoofus would hack Mewtwo at level 9?! They should save their time and go straight to level 100.

Then again, game carts modified by Action Replay are banned from official tournaments... But of course, I can just use two games and use one game to hack, and the second game for a "legit" Pokedex.

...I swear, I'm an honest person in real life. o_o;

Exactly. I said 'GAME CART'. And ARs are banned from offical tournaments. Thus.

But you're right...people can cheat, no matter what. But as a result, that was stupid idea by me.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom