• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Confirmed: Core Pokemon on Switch

What I want for Pokemon game on Switch?
Gen 8 - Likely When there's a new system, like Diamond/Pearl for DS and XY for 3DS, I'm thinking of a New Generation, but to me it's too soon for Gen 8, if there likely to do Gen 8, then 2018 will be a break year and Gen VIII will start in 2019. The only reason I think that Gen VIII is too soon, because the anime aren't nearly done with series, not to mention they selling alola merchandise, it would be weird to conclude Sun/Moon already just to focus on the New Generation. If Gen VIII is coming so will the new anime and New merchandise, which is not the case, I'll give it a 2019 start

DP remake - I don't think it's likely to start a remake on a new system, but the fans are demanding a Sinnoh remake, not to mention we might get more hints in UltraSun/UltraMoon, Since we got some hints from Sun/Moon, not to mention the Pokemon Movie 20
"I Choose You" with Piplup and Lucario. It would be nice to go back to Sinnoh, I think the reason GF haven't announce DP remake, is to get them hyped up for the next game that will have hints and reference in UltraSun/UltraMoon

Kanto/Johto Sequel - The fans are speculating to go back to Kanto because of Lillie's Story and Pokemon Movie 20 "I Choose You", not to mention Switch can handle another region, If we get a Kanto Sequel, we're likely to go back to Johto in the Post-game. Since the fans have been speculating that they want to go back to Kanto in the Post-game (Which isn't likely to do so, because If we go back to Kanto were likely to go back to Johto as well, Alola, Kanto, and Johto won't fit). It would be nice to go back to see how much change.

Either way, I would be nice to have either a New Generation or revisit the old one, Looks like I.m saving my money for Switch :)

Those differences you mentioned for the previous remakes are absolutely tame compared to what you're suggesting. Most people did not fuss over flat environments or lack of diagonal movement (and FRLG's Sevii Islands mimicked the Hoenn style, which I wouldn't call diverse). Of course, I don't think that Game Freak will be held back by remakes so much as their laziness.

So what makes you think they will about this? They're older games with a different development philosophy, the people that want DP remakes aren't going to care if it's not updated with open world.

That's fairly vague and could easily refer just to HD graphics. You'd have a better point if he said anything about attracting home console players.

All I'm saying is that you might want to temper your expecations. But it is not my problem if you don't.

Except Ishihara has already dealt with HD development on the Wii U. That's nothing new for Pokemon, so that can't be the "new approach" they're talking about. What Ishihara is likely alluding to is that this is the first console to have a combined handheld and console audience and they need to figure out how to appeal to both sides. At the very worst that means we'll be getting new spinoffs, but more likely he's referring to developing 8th gen to provide both a traditional handheld experience and a home console experience.

I highly doubt they announced the development following USUM's backlash.

It can take weeks if not months of pre-planning for something as huge and important as E3. The Directs are structured in a way to follow a scripted flow, and I doubt they would want to break that by inserting a last-minute announcement in the middle of the Direct. That causes problems. What most likely happened is that Kimishima or whoever else responsible ordered that Game Freak make the announcement, alongside Metroid Prime 4's early reveal, in order to instill hype for Switch and goodwill for those who already bought it. If that is Kimishima's doing, then he's got a smart head on those shoulders.

And it worked. Metroid Prime 4 is one of THE most talked about games shown at E3. That game alone has put the spotlight on the Switch. I'm sure Pokemon also helped too.

Last edited:
So what makes you think they will about this? They're older games with a different development philosophy, the people that want DP remakes aren't going to care if it's not updated with open world.
You can apply that logic to a new main series game... Fans are used to a certain formula and can probably live with it even on the Switch. I am not saying they should, but I have little doubt most would be fine with it. Just read this GAF thread and see how minimal most people's expectations are, and we're talking about home console gamers.

In contrast, if the next generation were such a big overhaul, I am not sure DP remakes would be viewed that favorably if they made such a huge step back.

Except Ishihara has already dealt with HD development on the Wii U. That's nothing new for Pokemon, so that can't be the "new approach" they're talking about.
Game Freak have no such experience and Pokken merely uses 20-ish Pokemon without any exploration elements. It was developed by Namco, you know.

Ishihara changed the subject to spin-off games only after making "we need to change our development process" statement. He basically implied that spin-off games would be easier to handle.

Last edited:
Seems a bit early for Gen VIII... I'm still basking in the Alolan sun rays and eating fluffy pancakes! :LOL:

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to a new gen. New Pokemon means more merch to collect - as if ~800 Pokemon weren't already enough! :ROFLMAO: But, I do want to at least finish up my Sun/Moon collection before I start getting all hyped up for the newest games and their Pokemon! (y)

I honestly doubt they announced the development following USUM's backlash.

It can take weeks if not months of pre-planning for something as huge and important as E3. The Directs are structured in a way to follow a scripted flow, and I doubt they would want to break that by inserting a last-minute announcement in the middle of the Direct. That causes problems. What most likely happened is that Kimishima or whoever else responsible ordered that Game Freak make the announcement, alongside Metroid Prime 4's early reveal, in order to instill hype for Switch and goodwill for those who already bought it. If that is Kimishima's doing, then he's got a smart head on those shoulders.

And it worked. Metroid Prime 4 is one of THE most talked about games shown at E3. That game alone has put the spotlight on the Switch. I'm sure Pokemon also helped too.
They may not have inserted it in response to the backlash but rather in anticipation of it. Reggie admitted in a recent interview that the dual Metroid announcements were included in the Spotlight in part due to concerns of fans thinking one console would be favored or neglected over the other. It's very well possible that the same was done for the Pokemon announcement on the Switch, to appease fans on both sides.

They may not have inserted it in response to the backlash but rather in anticipation of it. Reggie admitted in a recent interview that the dual Metroid announcements were included in the Spotlight in part due to concerns of fans thinking one console would be favored or neglected over the other. It's very well possible that the same was done for the Pokemon announcement on the Switch, to appease fans on both sides.
Possibly. But the difference between Pokemon and Metroid is that one gets frequent new games, and the other hasn't had life breathed into it for quite awhile. You're right that they probably included both Metroid titles for that reason, but I think it was more to due with the high demand for a Prime 4 and the severe backlash that Federation Force got years ahead.

In the end though, it's a means of instilling hype and goodwill for the Switch, and it worked.

Assuming that the Nintendo Switch Pokémon game will actually be Generation VIII (which is likely), will we get a glimpse of a Generation VIII Pokémon anytime now? Especially in the Pokémon animé?

I know it is still very early, especially that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon weren't released yet and the Sun and Moon anime still relatively new, but I just remembered Munchlax, a Generation IV Pokémon, being unveiled in the middle of Generation III, so maybe they may possibly unveil a Generation VIII Pokémon in a similar manner.

Or maybe they will star a Generation VIII Pokémon alongside an old legendary Pokémon for the 21st Pokémon Movie, just like with Lucario, Zoroark, and Magearna.

Personally, I would want them to take the Munchlax route, unveiling a basic or a regular Generation VIII Pokémon as some sort of companion, or any unique role, in the Sun and Moon animé; much better if they will unveil the Generation VIII Pokémon around Q3 or Q4 2017, to (indirectly) encourage kids watching the animé to save up money for the Switch (the Switch being a somewhat expensive console) for them to be able to play the upcoming Nintendo Switch Pokémon game with the new critter. Then they could always take the Lucario route after that.

I guess it wouldn't be a conflict if they plan to add Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon features to the anime to promote the said games, they can always make arcs, or an entire season altogether, dedicated to Necrozma and those features.

Assuming that the Nintendo Switch Pokémon game will actually be Generation VIII (which is likely), will we get a glimpse of a Generation VIII Pokémon anytime now? Especially in the Pokémon animé?

I know it is still very early, especially that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon weren't released yet and the Sun and Moon anime still relatively new, but I just remembered Munchlax, a Generation IV Pokémon, being unveiled in the middle of Generation III, so maybe they may possibly unveil a Generation VIII Pokémon in a similar manner.

Or maybe they will star a Generation VIII Pokémon alongside an old legendary Pokémon for the 21st Pokémon Movie, just like with Lucario, Zoroark, and Magearna.

Personally, I would want them to take the Munchlax route, unveiling a basic or a regular Generation VIII Pokémon as some sort of companion, or any unique role, in the Sun and Moon animé; much better if they will unveil the Generation VIII Pokémon around Q3 or Q4 2017, to (indirectly) encourage kids watching the animé to save up money for the Switch (the Switch being a somewhat expensive console) for them to be able to play the upcoming Nintendo Switch Pokémon game with the new critter. Then they could always take the Lucario route after that.

I guess it wouldn't be a conflict if they plan to add Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon features to the anime to promote the said games, they can always make arcs, or an entire season altogether, dedicated to Necrozma and those features.

Yeah, I would guess that regardless of whether or not 8th gen releases next year, the 21st movie will feature an 8th gen Pokemon. There's nothing else for them really event Pokemon wise, all of the 7th gen mythicals have been distributed so what else is there to promote?

An old mythical with a new form... I see nothing wrong with that possibility.

The target audience of Pokemon movies are Japanese kids who don't have access to old mythicals.

How much would Game Freak care if the initial Gen 8 games turn out being trash and very rushed?
How would you know if gen 8 is rushed and awful? It doesn't exist yet. And I pretty sure that GF cares about their games so they wouldn't purposely make bad games.

How would you know if gen 8 is rushed and awful? It doesn't exist yet. And I pretty sure that GF cares about their games so they wouldn't purposely make bad games.

If it comes out in 2018, I think it would be rushed. They need a break year. They never developed for a home console before.

If it comes out in 2018, I think it would be rushed. They need a break year. They never developed for a home console before.
Maybe. Maybe not. If GF played their hand right, they could be very decent games. Of course 2019 is still a possibity of the new game so we can't assume 2018 would have it.

Not on purpose, but with little time the game can very much be rushed anyway, they're just doing the best with the time they have. I mean, XY exists, the first Pokémon game on the 3DS and I think most people will agree that those weren't exactly good games. So it's logical for people to worry about the first Pokémon game on the Switch.

Not on purpose, but with little time the game can very much be rushed anyway, they're just doing the best with the time they have. I mean, XY exists, the first Pokémon game on the 3DS and I think most people will agree that those weren't exactly good games. So it's logical for people to worry about the first Pokémon game on the Switch.
I wouldn't say that XY were pretty decent. Yes they had flaws but they were far better than Kanto that is for sure.

I wouldn't say that XY were pretty decent. Yes they had flaws but they were far better than Kanto that is for sure.
XY had the lack of Post-game, like Sun/Moon, XY and Sun/Moon were too easy IMO, But What I don't understand is Sun/Moon is getting an upgraded version, but nothing for XY.

XY had the lack of Post-game, like Sun/Moon, XY and Sun/Moon were too easy IMO, But What I don't understand is Sun/Moon is getting an upgraded version, but nothing for XY.

We don't know if US/UM are exactly just an upgraded version just yet. They could be, but I don't think we can say for sure just yet. As for why X/Y didn't get some kind of upgrade, I think it was because more people wanted OR/AS than a third version and they wanted to spend time developing Sun/Moon in time for the 20th anniversary. Celebrating an anniversary with a new generation does sound a lot more exciting and fitting than just going through Kalos again.

I'm actually hoping that this is not Gen VIII and rather Kanto sequels or a sequel. This despite Kanto being my least favorite region. :p

We don't know if US/UM are exactly just an upgraded version just yet. They could be, but I don't think we can say for sure just yet. As for why X/Y didn't get some kind of upgrade, I think it was because more people wanted OR/AS than a third version and they wanted to spend time developing Sun/Moon in time for the 20th anniversary. Celebrating an anniversary with a new generation does sound a lot more exciting and fitting than just going through Kalos again.
Well US/UM might be a expanded story of S/M, it wouldn't make since to expand Alola even further. As for Kalos, now I think that's the reason we didn't get some sort of Kalos expansion, because of ORAS, S/M. Looks like we'll have to wait for remake of Kalos in the long future.

Back
Top Bottom