• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Confirmed: Core Pokemon on Switch

If it's the next generation and they're even considering releasing it next year, I wouldn't expect to be amazed by it. It would also put a cap on their efforts on USUM, which may very well be skipped by most of the fanbase. Not to mention that Masuda would probably be the director again due to Ohmori being busy with the Alola games.

Joy.

If it's the next generation and they're even considering releasing it next year, I wouldn't expect to be amazed by it. It would also put a cap on their efforts on USUM, which may very well be skipped by most of the fanbase. Not to mention that Masuda would probably be the director again due to Ohmori being busy with the Alola games.

Joy.
I'm sorry you feel that way. If it means anything to you, Ishihara stated that GameFreak has "started" working on the core Switch game and that "it may not release for more than a year." That means it may well not release until 2019 or later.

Edit: @Tigertot Yeah it would seem that way.

November 2018 would be more than a year from now. And I wouldn't take "started" at face value.

Anyway, we'll see when USUM are released what is the more likely scenario. They need forms for old mythicals/legendaries to keep this generation going.

November 2018 would be more than a year from now. And I wouldn't take "started" at face value.

Anyway, we'll see when USUM are released what is the more likely scenario. They need forms for old mythicals/legendaries to keep this generation going.

Each Gen only has two games now so this has to be Gen 8.

They could take a break in 2018 and there would still be just two releases in this generation. But it seems that 2018 is their goal.

Well yeah that should confirm gen 8 and USUM to be the last gen VII games and the last 3DS games in generell. Was obvious enough for them to jump onto the Switch.

May it be end 2018 or 2019, I don't really care. Now we have to wait.

More hyped to see some stuff from that than from USUM...

Regardless of whether it's a remake, port or Gen 8, the possibilities of what they could do on a home-based console excites me.

I'm not expecting a radical departure from how it was on the 3DS, but more space could mean a bigger region to explore and better graphics/processing might allow for more and better looking models for humans and Pokemon as well as more battle animations.

Also I am questioning myself:

Is USUM maybe just a bridge to the next generation for the developer so they have more time for it? Because a third version usually takes less time than remakes/sequels.

Yeah, USUM are most likely a low-effort project meant to allow them to focus on the bigger one.

I'm afraid of that too. I mean they only showed some seconds of USUM and the first thing they do after that is announce a main game on the Switch. It's clear that USUM is not really their priority, just something in between or something :/

Just like BW2. We've seen this before. Skeleton crew develops a second game for the aging system with mostly reused assets while the core team works on developing a new generation. Game Freak is so predictable.

B2W2 may have been easier to develop than remakes, but they weren't released a year after BW, either. And they waited a good 6.5 months after the Japanese release date to announce XY.

Likewise, XY were a 3-year project and they still managed to underwhelm a lot of people. So reducing the development length for the Switch's sake is not a good sign for quality or much of anything beyond passable graphics. Sure, Masuda and some of the staff probably started in 2015, but most people were working on SM until some point in 2016.

This reminds me that they recently hired 3D artists for a home console project, and they made it a point to say that the contract was until May 2018 only. That makes it even clearer that they're aiming for a 2018 release date. But plans could always change, I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom