• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Confirmed: Core Pokemon on Switch

It's about time too.

Tbh I think that pokemon USUM should have just been switch games to begin with but starting off with gen 8 works too.

B2W2 may have been easier to develop than remakes, but they weren't released a year after BW, either. And they waited a good 6.5 months after the Japanese release date to announce XY.

Likewise, XY were a 3-year project and they still managed to underwhelm a lot of people. So reducing the development length for the Switch's sake is not a good sign for quality or much of anything beyond passable graphics.

This reminds me that they recently hired 3D artists for a home console project, and they made it a point to say that the contract was until May 2018 only. That makes it even clearer that they're aiming for a 2018 release date. But plans could always change, I guess.

All the Pokemon models are HD proof so that cuts down on development time. The Pokemon models are super high polygon. They just need HD textures.

So? The last generation was 3 years long and obviously the same models were used in SM.

At the very least a 2018 release date means that they barely put any resources into USUM. That in itself is bad enough.

Yes, but Ishihara and TPCi are being more subtle. "May take more than a year" makes 2018 incredibly likely, though.

How would Famitsu know when its releasing? Its in development not even Game Freak knows when its going to be released.

Yeah, I wouldn't take Famitsu as a source for this. While coming out next year wouldn't be unlikely, Game Freak doesn't even know when it will be released and they just said that it was in development. Unless the statement was made by someone from Nintendo/Game Freak, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I'm kind of surprised that they're announcing a main series game being in development. They usually don't do that, but they probably want to attract more attention for the Switch. Part of me thinks that they wanted to reassure the people complaining about US/UM being on the 3DS instead of the Switch, even though they most likely planned this announcement well ahead of time. It still seems kind of weird to complain about that when the Switch hasn't been out for that long. It's most likely a new generation. A new main series Pokemon game on the Switch would already attract attention, but throw in new Pokemon and that is going to sell more systems. I just hope that there will be some way to transfer Pokemon from 3DS games. I also hope that they'll figure out how to make the game work with one screen again since they've relied on the duel screens for the DS and 3DS for a long time.

And now I'll have to save up for a Switch. I won't have to buy it right away and there will be other games I can get for it too, but that thought came to mind when I saw the announcement.

I'm kind of surprised that they're announcing a main series game being in development. They usually don't do that, but they probably want to attract more attention for the Switch. Part of me thinks that they wanted to reassure the people complaining about US/UM being on the 3DS instead of the Switch, even though they most likely planned this announcement well ahead of time. It still seems kind of weird to complain about that when the Switch hasn't been out for that long. It's most likely a new generation. A new main series Pokemon game on the Switch would already attract attention, but throw in new Pokemon and that is going to sell more systems. I just hope that there will be some way to transfer Pokemon from 3DS games. I also hope that they'll figure out how to make the game work with one screen again since they've relied on the duel screens for the DS and 3DS for a long time.

Maybe because so many people were unhappy that USUM was on 3DS, due to the Stars rumor.

Maybe because so many people were unhappy that USUM was on 3DS, due to the Stars rumor.

That is possibly one reason why they revealed it now, although I still kind of suspect that they planned this before the backlash about US/UM being on the 3DS. Plus, I don't recall them revealing that X/Y were in development shortly after B2/W2 were announced despite having pretty similar backlash to US/UM. Much like now, people were upset over not getting R/S remakes and the series still being on the DS system as opposed to the then new 3DS. The reactions to US/UM aren't quite identical, but it does make me think of how history repeats itself. It's more likely that they just want to give more attention to the Switch and get more people to buy it, even though the sales have been going pretty well from what I've heard at least.

The exact quote is "you may not see it for more than a year". He could very well be saying it won't even be shown until the beginning of 2019. They certainly have no problem cushioning the wait for a new console with a year-early trailer and a year's worth of promotion (see XY).

Edit: I was wrong. "It may not release for more than a year." That sounds more certain, doesn't it?

Annoncing a Switch game only a week after announcing USUM is beyond idiotic.

They should´ve waited until after USUM was released. They are literally treating USUM like shit atm... I just hope this is a Gen VIII game, not a Gen VII game. Gen VII should be eavailable on the 3DS from start to finish.

However, something is telling me one year is not enough time for a new generation on a new console, so this might be yet an other Gen VII game (Alola, or Kanto sequels) exclusive for Switch. I hope it isn´t.

Maybe they realized that it would be forced to hype up games they hadn't spent much time on. The very existence of USUM is basically saying "let's not do much with the rest of this generation".
If this generation is really intended to last two years (although a delay is very probable), I don't think they could've done more than what we're getting for the mid-gen game. They seem to be trying to make USUM easier to swallow.

If this generation is really intended to last two years (although a delay is very probable), I don't think they could've done more than what we're getting for the mid-gen game. They seem to be trying to make USUM easier to swallow.
But that's a poor excuse when they could have just decided to wait until 2019 from the get-go. If they were under pressure from Nintendo, a cross-platform release (for something better than USUM) would have done the trick.

I don't really see much harm in confirming the move to the Switch right now. The writing was pretty much on the wall, and it's a fair quandary to pose to the fans before moving onto the $300+ expenditure that is the Switch - "You guys know that's where we're headed now, so if you're more interested in that, and you'd rather save your $40 and skip these Alola Mk. II's, go ahead." Personally, I think the confirmation is reassuring.

USUM aren't really a "Wowzers!" concept, anyway.

I thought GF had finally learned to advertise their games, with how well they advertised SM. But no. They seem to be trying to make USUM the worst selling mainline game ever.

USUM is most definitely being suffocated with the Pokemon Switch announcement, but how much air will it lose, in all actuality? Comparatively, mid-generation games don't tend to sell as well as their predecessor anyway. So to feel underwhelmed by what will be an underwhelming game by definition is wasted energy, in my opinion. Sun & Moon were great, so I'm sure USUM will be just fine.

Sun and Moon also being an example, I see Pokemon Switch breaking as many barriers as Generation 7 has. At the very least it will sharpen the features introduced. I don't think the timeline being as tight as it appears to be will completely downgrade the quality of a marquee Nintendo title as it struts onto the Nintendo Switch. Waiting a month, or waiting until the day after USUM's release for this announcement -- I don't think either would have truly affected whatever Pokemon Switch will become.

I just don't understand the concern at all. I'm beyond excited.

Back
Top Bottom