• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Confirmed: Core Pokemon on Switch

But Game Freak have NEVER done that (annoncing a game before the previous game has released). Why do it now? I don´t see what positives can they get from annoncing a Switch game so early, other than reduce the sales of USUM even more.

Again, though. I just hope the announcement is for a Gen VIII game, and USUM is the end of Gen VII. I don´t wanna see Gen VII divided over 2 consoles.

Last edited:
Completely degrade? No, but a tighter development degrading the games is a reasonable expectation. Especially for those of who weren't impressed by XY, which took three years.

People on /vp/ are saying the announcement is too vague; they are not sure if they meant a mainline Pokemon game, or a Colosseum type of game.

But Game Freak have NEVER done that (annoncing a game before the previous game has released). Why do it now? I don´t see what positives can they get from annoncing a Switch game so early, other than reduce the sales of USUM even more.

Again, though. I just hope the announcement is for a Gen VIII game, and USUM is the end of Gen VII. I don´t wanna see Gen VII divided over 2 consoles.
It could be to promote good will to those that were pissed about the Stars rumors or USUM not being on Switch.

People on /vp/ are saying the announcement is too vague; they are not sure if they meant a mainline Pokemon game, or a Colosseum type of game.
Well the English translator for Ishihara specifically mentioned the core series. The Colleseum/XD games are largely considered spinoffs or side titles to the mainline games. I'm not sure what was Japanese phrases were used so maybe that's where confusion begins. Also, I think that it is unlikely as the appeal of those games were to see your pokemon in 3D, but now you can do that with the mainline games.

Plot twist:

they announced a Switch game today, not only to calm down the people annoyed that USUM is 3DS exclusive, but mainly to calm down the 3DS users that got worried there might be a Switch version of USUM (due to the "TBA" Switch release date that was posted by error on the official website for USUM).

By saying the Switch game will come in one year time at the earliest, they reassure the 3DS user base that there will indeed be no Switch version of USUM.

Last edited:
But that's a poor excuse when they could have just decided to wait until 2019 from the get-go. If they were under pressure from Nintendo, a cross-platform release (for something better than USUM) would have done the trick.
That would've only been feasible to release next year, and they probably felt that it would devalue the next generation. Why not just release an original 3DS game and then wait until 2019? It's not like they lost any money from that approach last generation.

Last edited:
As long as the Switch game is the beginning of a new generation, and NOT a Switch only Gen VII game, I'd be satisfied by this announcement.

Ugh. Am I the only one not happy about this? I mean, the Switch goes for over $400 online, and I spent $200 on a Wii U recently! Granted, I actually can buy a Switch if I save enough, but...a core series game on a console that expensive? I think I'll wait until either the Switch lowers in price or information on said core games are revealed. I don't want to buy a super expensive console just for one or two games and wind up shelling out a crapton of money.

Ugh. Am I the only one not happy about this? I mean, the Switch goes for over $400 online, and I spent $200 on a Wii U recently! Granted, I actually can buy a Switch if I save enough, but...a core series game on a console that expensive? I think I'll wait until either the Switch lowers in price or information on said core games are revealed. I don't want to buy a super expensive console just for one or two games and wind up shelling out a crapton of money.
I almost guarantee Nintendo won't make every Pokemon fan (including the kids) pay the price of a home console for the game; they'll release a portable-only version in preparation for it, much like the 2DS and XY.

A sort of rant sort of not rant incoming? lol

I'm actually a little confused as to why they would even bother with announcing it so soon. It's obviously not coming any time soon so why now? Of course we were gonna get a Pokemon game on the Switch eventually, but we still have a game on the way that they only just announced. If next year is a skip year again then why not wait until we get there and then they can hype it up when there isn't already a game on the way. I was already a little iffy about USUM and now I almost don't care about it because I'd rather hear about the first mainline Pokemon game to get on an HD console. I didn't need to be told this far in advance that a game was coming to the Switch. I'll still wait for more info on USUM before I completely go one way or the other, but this seems like they were trying to throw us a bone, but it wasn't enough. It made sense for them to show off Metroid Prime 4 because that's something they can milk for the new Metroid game coming out that people are excited for right off the bat. USUM have already even after one tiny reveal received a mixed reaction tho. It's a very odd situation they're putting themselves into. So what now? After announcing said Switch game are they going to completely forget about it until late next year/early 2019? Seems like an odd move for a company that tends to rely on short reveal to release times these days. Sorry I'm not trying to complain. It just seems a like a very odd move. I'm just a little disillusioned that I'm more excited for a Pokemon game I don't even know the name of let alone what it looks like than a game that we've both learned the names of and seen......It's a very complex set of emotions for me hahahaha

I'm sure it's because E3 is one of the largest stages to announce such a title, and Nintendo forced Game Freak's hand. The Switch is receiving phenomenal reviews early in its life cycle and a key reason is the sheer number and frequency of quality titles being released on the system. Even teasing the idea of a main series Pokemon game coming to the Switch will build incredible hype. This is free advertising that a Pokemon Direct may not match, and that I think outweighs the delta in sales USUM may garner from withholding the Pokemon Switch announcement, anyway. A rehashed, mid-generation game won't tank any worse than it may have, announcement or no announcement, and I think assuming it will is a misinformed opinion. It's worth it in the end.

I also think it's responsible advertising, too. Players that want to holdout now can. Players that will need to save to purchase a Switch now can.

I think this also implies that we'll receive an official announcement before E3 2018. That much is probably obvious given everything else, but worth noting.

This was a really a hype killer for me. I was actually exited for US/UM but for some reason, they decided to kill confidence in their own game by pushing gen 8(or whatever this game will be) ahead and trying to get everyone excited for that instead of US/UM what's even the point! I don't care what they are doing for the switch. And not to be a spoilsport but I'm not confident in gamefreaks ability to develop a new engine for a new system. At least not after the disaster that was X&Y, so I think this will be mediocre at best.

Not to mention the games themselves will probably be more expensive on the Switch. I feel pretty much the same way. I can understand why they announced this game at E3. It's one of the best times to make big announcements and they want to really make the Switch successful. The timing just kind of bothers me when I do still want to get US/UM, but now it seems like they're already pushing it to the sidelines just a few days after announcing it. Admittedly, I don't think it will affect sales that much, but people generally are going to lose interest in it when there's a Switch game in the works.

At least the price for the Switch will probably go down by the time the games come out and a portable only version of the Switch definitely sounds like a possibility too. I just would have preferred for this announcement to come later after US/UM were out. I'm not sure if we needed confirmation that the main series would be on the Switch either, or at least right now.

I thought GF had finally learned to advertise their games, with how well they advertised SM. But no. They seem to be trying to make USUM the worst selling mainline game ever.

I still don't understand what we can expect from a third version. It was obvious enough that these aren't going to be important after the direct also rather showed Pokken and the GSC VC release than them.

Well personally I don't really care about them since it's a third version and not being fan of Alola. IMO it's good for them to already announce a Switch game for some speculation. Especially since some fresh new games are about two years away.

Also IIRC, they also said back in the 2004 E3 when the DS got revealed that there were also some pokemon games under development. Could be wrong tho.

Back
Top Bottom