• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Confirmed: Core Pokemon on Switch

To all those people who're wondering why did they declare Switch development now: apparently a chunk of the fanbase believes that we're in for ANOTHER handheld and Pokemon won't come to the Switch. So, I think Nintendo just wanted to make those people rush to their nearest stores to Preorder the Switch lol

To all those people who're wondering why did they declare Switch development now: apparently a chunk of the fanbase believes that we're in for ANOTHER handheld and Pokemon won't come to the Switch. So, I think Nintendo just wanted to make those people rush to their nearest stores to Preorder the Switch lol

To be clear I'm not wondering why they did this, I'm angry they did this. We know nothing about US/UM they revealed nothing about these new games we're getting THIS year but sure let's talk about a game we don't even know when it's coming out. It makes US/UM feel like afterthoughts and I loved Sun and Moon so I was super excited to US/UM. It feels like my love of Sun and Moon is being insulated first by the fan base and now by gamefreak itself. Joy....

To be clear I'm not wondering why they did this, I'm angry they did this. We know nothing about US/UM they revealed nothing about these new games we're getting THIS year but sure let's talk about a game we don't even know when it's coming out. It makes US/UM feel like afterthoughts and I loved Sun and Moon so I was super excited to US/UM. It feels like my love of Sun and Moon is being insulated first by the fan base and now by gamefreak itself. Joy....

To be fair they won't talk about the Switch game at all this year after the E3. That was just a nod that a Switch game is in the works to make things clear.

I mean we don't know if they will talk more about it this year or not. But even if they don't what is the fan base going to be hyping up for the rest of the year? After the backlash that happened when US/UM was announced I don't think US/UM is going to be all that big. I guess I should be happy we're getting US/UM at all but I was hoping for US/UM announcement at E3 and we get a Pokémon switch announcement instead...it just feels like a slap in the face.

I mean we don't know if they will talk more about it this year or not. But even if they don't what is the fan base going to be hyping up for the rest of the year? After the backlash that happened when US/UM was announced I don't think US/UM is going to be all that big. I guess I should be happy we're getting US/UM at all but I was hoping for US/UM announcement at E3 and we get a Pokémon switch announcement instead...it just feels like a slap in the face.

Haven't we still got treehouse?
The spotlight was Switch-exclusive from what I heard, so it'd be a bit pointless to expect Ultra SuMo there.

Haven't we still got treehouse?
The spotlight was Switch-exclusive from what I heard, so it'd be a bit pointless to expect Ultra SuMo there.

Seems to me that treehouse will focus on Poken DX. If they do say anything about US/UM it will seem like an afterthought. And that's sort of the problem.

Now could they focuse a good chunk of time on US/UM? Yes and if they do that may reignite some of my hype. But as things stand right now I expect them to treat it just like they did in the direct: an afterthought.

Seems to me that treehouse will focus on Poken DX. If they do say anything about US/UM it will seem like an afterthought. And that's sort of the problem.

Ohmura's supposed to be at E3 this week, so it's definitely possible it'll pop up somewhere in the Treehouse segments like Mario & Luigi and Metroid: Samus Returns.

Now could they focuse a good chunk of time on US/UM? Yes and if they do that may reignite some of my hype. But as things stand right now I expect them to treat it just like they did in the direct: an afterthought.

Eh, compared to ORAS, which just had the covers of the games put into a small video that was dropped on YouTube with no fanfare, USUM had more thought put into its debut. It did share said debut with Pokken DX, but we still got more out of the parts they did show then anything ORAS got for a month.

We never needed E3 to learn more information for USUM. We only have 5 months left until the game is released, and we'll likely be receiving a steady stream of information at any moment now.

I am glad that we now have confirmation that Nintendo Switch is the future of Pokémon. It was a pretty obvious outcome to assume, however, the confirmation is nice.

In a year or so from now, we'll be playing Pokémon on the television, in HD. People should be celebrating.

Huh this is unexpected. I dunno if its a reaction to the USUM announcement, a way to cement that the switch is the one console to rule em all, a way to boost sales in 2018 cause there will be a sort of calm until 2019 which will be a sort of peak year, or a little of everything. Its strange cause USUM is being sidelined and no matter how insignificant they always treat the core entries with proper respect, and like mentioned much earlier, if Pokemon is needed for sales boost, USUM could easily have been crossgen.
Either way, I'll be damned if there is no break year, BUUUT do remember that if DP came as early as scheduled(and this is quite the same type of reveal as it got) FRLG/E/DP would have all been released from the start of 2004 till fall 2005. A much smaller time span then Winter 2016 to Winter 2018, and this is pretty spaced out, so I feel worrying about USUM and Gen 8s quality is rubbish, as the only game of the 3 I mentioned that wasn't on par with the series' quality was DP, and even then an amazing game was there. So yeah, if winter 2018 i wouldn't mind, I can see USUM being damn near as well as B2W2, and I think enough is there for a switch game to happen considering how the Pokemon models are basically ready. Lastly, this isn't going to be all GF, Nintendo and HD has a lot of inter company development sharing, and I can easily see Monolith Soft Kyoto or Creatures helping out with the process to get the game out in a proper fashion.

Things to consider:
  • Will there be any functionality with the 3DS? We've been told "Pokémon Bank" is generation-proof for the most part, until the 3DS dies that is. Is it even possible for a Switch and 3DS to communicate? Maybe Pokémon Bank will have an app for the Switch? They wouldn't kill Bank after just 2 generations after promising longetivity of the service would they?
  • It's scary how there are now 802 species of Pokémon. I wonder if Game Freak will surpass 1000 Pokémon for the 8th generation. They certainly would have the time and space to do it. Maybe throw in some new Megas while they do it. Wouldn't be surprised if this was codenamed "Pokémon 1000."
  • This explains why we only had so few Mythical Pokémon. Gen 7 is going to be a short gen. I can feel it in my bones.
  • Ash is going to have to haul some heavy ass in the anime if they plan on releasing this game in late 2018. Usually releases are timed around Ash's journey in the anime in Japan.
This is definitely Generation 8. I can hope they plan it well and that the locale its based on makes sense. Would be kind of cool if they returned to Japan and made the region be based on the area north of Kanto and Johto. If not, I can see them doing Australia.

Will there be any functionality with the 3DS? We've been told "Pokémon Bank" is generation-proof for the most part, until the 3DS dies that is. Is it even possible for a Switch and 3DS to communicate?
Yes. 3DS and Switch can crossplay in monster hunter. So, Switch can communicate with the 3DS

Mitchman said:
Either way, I'll be damned if there is no break year, BUUUT do remember that if DP came as early as scheduled(and this is quite the same type of reveal as it got) FRLG/E/DP would have all been released from the start of 2004 till fall 2005. A much smaller time span then Winter 2016 to Winter 2018, and this is pretty spaced out, so I feel worrying about USUM and Gen 8s quality is rubbish, as the only game of the 3 I mentioned that wasn't on par with the series' quality was DP, and even then an amazing game was there.
1. DP were never given any sort of timeframe.
2. January 2004 through November 2005 would have been nearly two years.
3. Out of FRLG-Emerald-DP, only the latter are initial versions.
4. USUM being akin to Emerald would not be a point in their favor.
5. DP would have obviously been worse had they been released earlier.

I think enough is there for a switch game to happen considering how the Pokemon models are basically ready.
That's like saying that BW and SM should have been ready after two years since they used existing sprites/models.

Lastly, this isn't going to be all GF, Nintendo and HD has a lot of inter company development sharing, and I can easily see Monolith Soft Kyoto or Creatures helping out with the process to get the game out in a proper fashion.
That remains to be seen. Game Freak are not known for cooperation.

King Shuckle said:
Will there be any functionality with the 3DS? We've been told "Pokémon Bank" is generation-proof for the most part, until the 3DS dies that is. Is it even possible for a Switch and 3DS to communicate? Maybe Pokémon Bank will have an app for the Switch? They wouldn't kill Bank after just 2 generations after promising longetivity of the service would they?
It goes without saying that Bank will be carried over, and in that case, no direct communication between 3DS and Switch is needed. Bank transfers always go through the cloud rather than directly between games.

Last edited:
We never needed E3 to learn more information for USUM. We only have 5 months left until the game is released, and we'll likely be receiving a steady stream of information at any moment now.
That and core Pokemon games usually aren't featured heavily at E3 anyway. New info usually comes from CoroCoro, followed by press release.

That and core Pokemon games usually aren't featured heavily at E3 anyway. New info usually comes from CoroCoro, followed by press release.

With XY and ORAS they showed new gameplay trailers and with SM they played it live while showing new Pokémon and all. Maybe that doesn't count as 'heavily' featured but the last three games all showed new stuff at E3, so it's definitely odd for them to not to now.

Will there be any functionality with the 3DS? We've been told "Pokémon Bank" is generation-proof for the most part, until the 3DS dies that is. Is it even possible for a Switch and 3DS to communicate? Maybe Pokémon Bank will have an app for the Switch? They wouldn't kill Bank after just 2 generations after promising longetivity of the service would they?

The Switch port of Monster Hunter XX is able to communicate with the 3DS version. So, yes, 3DS functionality is possible. I think it's more likely that they will update the Pokemon Bank to also be compatible with Switch. No sense in letting that go to waste.

With XY and ORAS they showed new gameplay trailers and with SM they played it live while showing new Pokémon and all. Maybe that doesn't count as 'heavily' featured but the last three games all showed new stuff at E3, so it's definitely odd for them to not to now.

Weren't XY and ORAS already revealed months ahead of E3? USUM was only just revealed last week.

This is kinda a non announcement though. All it does it deconfirm ultra Switch stars and deconfirm a 3ds title after usum. Both of which were pretty unlikely.

It basically confirms Gen VIII on Switch.

2018 release makes sense as we have no more mythical pokemon this gen to star in any movies.

2018 movie could be like Zoroark's or Lucario's movie and just have it debut a 8th generation Pokemon and have the distribution be a previous generation Legendary.

Back
Top Bottom