• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Console/Platform Preferences and Opinions

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
What are you favorite platforms to game on? What are your favorite consoles/platforms altogether?

Please note: This is not a place for console wars, or PC gaming elitism. This is for your personal preferences, and there is no reason to be rude about and belittle others over personal preferences.

I usually play more on Nintendo consoles, but I have recently started playing PC games thanks to Steam. These two platforms alone have more than enough games to keep me satisfied whenever I'm looking to play something different.

Generally, it's Playstation and Nintendo consoles I use. However, to be honest, I vastly prefer Playstation. The PSX was my first console and I've owned every main Playstation console (not counting handhelds like PSP, which I do actually have, mind) up until the PS5 (it's WAY out of my price range, so I'm waiting for both sales and more games to be released before deciding on it). Playstation has always been my preferred console, as it had more titles that I like than Nintendo does. For comparison, my Playstation library is about double my Nintendo one.

That said, Nintendo does do a good handheld, as I've owned all the Nintendo handhelds up to the Switch. Sadly, only my DS Lites and 3DSs are still functioning, as the others, like the GBA, died long ago. My first "real" Nintendo console was the Gamecube, and boy did it have good games. Sadly, it got lost when I moved, but at least the Wii (which I still have) plays Gamecube games, so that mitigates the issue. I also have a Wii U, though most of its contents are Virtual Console games now, which is something that I wish Nintendo would bring back on the Switch instead of drip feeding us games from the Super Nintendo and such.

The biggest reason why I prefer Playstation over Nintendo is because Nintendo's company practices are a lot more predatory and they tend to not give the players what they want. Sure, Sony, can be pretty nasty at times, but at least they aren't as predatory or restrictive as Nintendo, especially when it comes to older games. The PS5 has backwards compatibility, which is a HUGE deal to many, thus older games aren't rendered obsolete and can still be played, while Nintendo rarely does anything like that and tends to keep most of its older, and oftentimes better, games under lock and key, hence why many tend to use emulators and such. Also, some of Nintendo's more recent games tend to be rather questionable in terms of quality despite the power of the Switch, while Playstation is at least more consistent when it comes to keeping the quality up. I mean, the Ratchet & Clank game for the PS5 looks outstanding, completely dwarfing the Future trilogy, and they were already high-quality games (well, Quest for Booty is a bit of an iffy one, but it was more of a bridge between Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, so it being the way it was wasn't too bad).

But, overall, while I play both Playstaion and Nintendo consoles, Playstation will always be my first choice. It just tends to have better games that fit my preferred gaming pallet over Nintendo's more "iconic" IPs (as I hate Mario and Legend of Zelda, as I find them overrated). That's my 2 cents.

Nintendo as that's what I was introduced to first. If money wasn't an issue and there were more titles to get my attention, I would definitely have a Playstation. I would need some time to get used the controllers though.

• Staff
Thank you all for bringing this topic back up. I had meant to make my own response early on, but I have been finding it hard to put my own thoughts on this matter into words.

As a child I was primarily Nintendo, with very sparse experience with Mac games. In my early to mid teens I began to gain interest in the Playstation consoles and thus got a Playstation 2. I've had PS consoles in addition to Nintendo consoles ever since, and TBH, I played my PS2 more than my Wii in all of the Wii's generation (I didn't get a PS3 until like 2014 lol). Also in my mid-teens, I got into The Sims, which led me to getting interested in PC gaming (kinda, all I played was The Sims until very recently, so I didn't play my PC for many games).

My preferred platforms nowadays are both Nintendo and Sony consoles. Nintendo is where a lot of my nostalgia is, but sadly, a lot of those franchises have had low moments (Pokemon especially, but Zelda, Mario, and Animal Crossing have as well), and Nintendo's business practices really set them back a whole lot. I suppose Sony has the advantage of not having a whole lot of nostalgic series for (Kingdom Hearts aside) and thus I hold Sony consoles to a different standard and am just happy to find new experiences to play on the system after I buy it. Interesting how that works.

PC I am growing more complicated feelings for. As I switched FFXIV to the PC version a month or two ago I have found it to be infinitely better on the PC. PC has always been the best experience for The Sims as well, which has given it a lot of pull, but I have had lots of frustrations with PC gaming over the years. It's a bit high maintenance and expensive for me.

Currently for me it's PC gaming. I switched to it around 2013 and never looked back. I just like the overall variety and accessibility, while also being able to find a lot of free or discounted games. I remember when I used to play on consoles and how difficult it was to find cheap games, because even places like GameStop would just rip you off.

The last consoles I've owned were PS4 and XBox One, and I always prefer Sony over Microsoft in that category. I started off on PS1 back in like 97 and had every version until 4. I never saw much appeal to the XBox personally other than that's what all of my irl friends played on at the time. To me personally, Sony makes the best consoles - no contest.

But for handhelds Nintendo is king. I still play my 3DS to this day and absolutely love it. My only complaint is similar to the consoles, where it's kinda difficult to find cheap games.

Please understand I'm not trying to start a fight or even angry with you, but I must say a few things here.
they tend to not give the players what they want.
Players don't always want what's sensible or reasonable though as some things they request aren't gameplay oriented, which is usually Nintendo's top priority, as Miyamoto stated, "A delayed game will be good eventually, a bad game will be bad forever." Although I will admit to the irony that it hasn't stopped Nintendo's own fuck ups like Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Besides there are time they do give players what they want though sometimes via their sub divisions. Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story minion side modes finally gave a game for those wanting the Koopalings or putting highly requested characters in Smash (Sonic, Mega Man, Greninja, Ridley, King K. Rool) and some that weren't asked or thought impossible (Bowser Jr., Shulk, Cloud, Simon Belmont, Banjo-Kazooie).

The PS5 has backwards compatibility, which is a HUGE deal to many, thus older games aren't rendered obsolete and can still be played, while Nintendo rarely does anything like that and tends to keep most of its older, and oftentimes better, games under lock and key.

Okay, that's one thing I will give PS. But don't all PS have that? Backwards compatibility is nice, but from my understanding (and I admit I'm not in my area of expertise here) it means it has to run on the same media the previous system used which holds back the new system. Digital games are a thing now, they'll most likely be more common if not the norm in future game systems which may not spend physical space or hard/software for discs as they become obsolete. If that makes any sense.

I find them overrated

That's a rather petty reason for hate if not flat out irrational as how something is rated by fans doesn't reflect either it's merits or flaws. I once came across a saying like "When someone hates something I like, I don't get angry with them. I just feel sorry for them not having an open mind and able to have something they enjoy." And there's a lot of things out there are overrated anyway, which you're probably bound to like.

Please understand I'm not trying to start a fight or even angry with you, but I must say a few things here.

Players don't always want what's sensible or reasonable though as some things they request aren't gameplay oriented, which is usually Nintendo's top priority, as Miyamoto stated, "A delayed game will be good eventually, a bad game will be bad forever." Although I will admit to the irony that it hasn't stopped Nintendo's own fuck ups like Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Besides there are time they do give players what they want though sometimes via their sub divisions. Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story minion side modes finally gave a game for those wanting the Koopalings or putting highly requested characters in Smash (Sonic, Mega Man, Greninja, Ridley, King K. Rool) and some that weren't asked or thought impossible (Bowser Jr., Shulk, Cloud, Simon Belmont, Banjo-Kazooie).

Okay, that's one thing I will give PS. But don't all PS have that? Backwards compatibility is nice, but from my understanding (and I admit I'm not in my area of expertise here) it means it has to run on the same media the previous system used which holds back the new system. Digital games are a thing now, they'll most likely be more common if not the norm in future game systems which may not spend physical space or hard/software for discs as they become obsolete. If that makes any sense.

That's a rather petty reason for hate if not flat out irrational as how something is rated by fans doesn't reflect either it's merits or flaws. I once came across a saying like "When someone hates something I like, I don't get angry with them. I just feel sorry for them not having an open mind and able to have something they enjoy." And there's a lot of things out there are overrated anyway, which you're probably bound to like.

You do realize that you are starting something with me here, don't you?

1) If Nintendo is giving people what they want, then where is Mario Galaxy 2 in the 3D All Stars? Or why are they drip-feeding old SNES games while leaving Gamecube games under lock and key or being sold on second-hand markets for outrageous prices? Or why is Waluigi not in Smash outside of an assist trophy? That's not what I call giving the fans what they want. Sure, some fans desire outrageous stuff, but if you believe Nintendo is giving fans what they want then where is all the stuff I just mentioned and more?

2) No, not all PS consoles had backwards compatibility. Only certain PS3 models did while the PS4 lacked it completely. That's why the PS5 having it is a big deal, as it means people can play both old and new games on a much more powerful console. I've seen the difference. Playing Crash 4 on the PS5 has significantly less drag and motion blur than on the PS4, as well as being a bit smoother with gameplay. The N. Verted Modes also play better, as the PS5's stronger power make some of the less appealing N. Verted levels work better. So, yeah, having backwards compatibility is a big deal, since the past two PS consoles largely lacked it (again, certain PS3 models had it, but they were far and few between compared to the ones that were purely PS3-only consoles).

3) If I may borrow a quote from Rachnera from Monster Musume, "We're free to hate and love as we please. You're just lying to yourself if you force yourself to play nice with others. If you don't like me, then so be it." That's how I feel about Mario and Zelda. I'm free to hate them for whatever reasons I have. And, for the record, I have played their games. To me, they're just the same game concept over and over again with certain differences between them, thus the never clicked with me. I have an open mind about games, as I'm willing to experiment, which is how I got such a large game library, but there are ones that just don't do it for me, which sums up the Mario and Zelda franchises to me in a nutshell. On top of that, as I said elsewhere, I tend to not like some of the more "popular" games and prefer the more underrated or sleeper hits like Breath of Fire, Shantae, Blade Strangers, and Monster Rancher. So, while you calling me "petty" isn't going to help you in this case, I have my reasons for hating Mario and Zelda, one of which is that they're overrated and tend to get too much glory. You call it "petty", I call it "freedom to choose". That's one of my reasons for hating them so I will hate them as I please. I won't pretend to like them so I can "fit in", as they've given me no reason to like them. Nothing about them clicks with me, so I don't want anything to do with them. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I merely needed to debate, which is allowed and a purpose of forums.

1. People in general can't fulfill every single request they receive. Like we both said, some fans ask for unreasonable things. They haven't fulfilled those specific requests. That doesn't mean they don't fulfill requests in general. Fulfilling a request will please some fans, but will also alienate other fans. You can't please everyone. There are different fans even among the same thing. Sometimes, its better to just make a game. Those who are satisfied and pleasantly surprised will get the game, those who aren't won't and should leave it at that. And they might fulfill those other requests in the future.

In the case of Waluigi in Smash or Smash in general, given its a crossover, not everyone can make it in. You can't please everyone as I mentioned earlier. And regardless of who does or doesn't get in, Waluigi is only one character and far from the only character requested. Look at the other characters I mentioned earlier.

3. Calm down. I didn't say you were petty (I wasn't making things personal, so please don't take it like that) or that other stuff. You're absolutely right. You have no need to pretend to like something just so you can fit in and I admire those who won't sacrifice their individuality for the sake of fitting in. Yes you have a choice for your reason, just that being the same concept with differences or they simply don't click with you were more valid. I respect your opinions and all. I just viewed it as a "making a mountain out of a molehill" thing.

Last edited:
My favourite consoles are my DSi and 3DS XL. The former is the most portable and comfortable to hold, while the latter has the best selection of Pokemon games (Gens 6 and 7, and the Virtual Console games, in addition to being able to play the DS games, although I prefer to play those on the DSi).

There are things I like about the Switch (the HD screen, multiple user accounts, and the ability to take screenshots) and I love SwSh and Let's Go. But in my opinion, the joy con drift and online subscription fee make it an inferior console, which makes me wonder how Nintendo were able to justify the signicantly higher price tag. I'll always be a traditional handheld gamer at heart.

I also use my DS Lite to play GBA games from time to time, but it isn't as good on my eyes because the screens aren't as bright. I still have my very first console, my GBA, and it works perfectly, but I don't use it anymore due to it running on AA batteries and having no backlit screen at all.

I started gaming on PC when my grandpa introduced me to some DOS Platforming games. The first console my family owned was a Nintendo 64 in 1999, and I've had every Nintendo console that came afterward. It was just early the following year when I got my first handheld system, the Game Boy Color, to play Pokemon Blue, and have owned every new-gen Nintendo handheld system (except 2DS, if that counts) and still own a GBA SP, two DS's and a 3DS systems. It wouldn't be until many years later when I really started getting back into PC gaming, thanks to digital platforms like Steam and especially GOG.

I bought a used original Xbox for a game I wanted to play that wasn't quite working on my computer at the time and ended up getting attached to that console enough to later get an Xbox 360 and Xbox One, with the backwards compatibility of the later-gen systems being a nice bonus for the XBO especially. I bought a PS2 from a friend years ago, which has been a good console for me, but I've been more on the side of the Xbox, due to my preference for the Xbox controller, and I haven't really been interested enough to get newer PlayStation systems so far.

So in short: my preferences are PC, Xbox, and Nintendo systems. The newest systems that I own are the Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and my custom-built gaming desktop.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom