• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Discussion

AlphaMouse

Even Rocky had a Montage
Reaction score
Is Gen VI a chance to return to Contest? If anywhere's the right place I'd say that France is, given its flamboyant stereotype. Do you want Contests to return? Do you want Musicals to remain? Do you want GF to stop chucking these annoying side tracks at us?

I believe that it would be a great idea to bring them back. I liked contests, and while Pokealathons and the movies were okay ideas, they still don't beat contests. I'm not gonna say that GF should stop throwing random ideas at us, because eventually, they're gonna hit the mark again. I just wish that they'd have both contests and whatever random thing they make up. Kind of how Pokestar Studios and Pokemon Musicals coexisted in BW2.

Also: Wasn't Fantina a part-time coordinator from a faraway region? It would be a good excuse to finally explain which region she's from. (And c'mon, she's so stereotypically French.)

Last edited:
I would definitely like Contests to return. Part of it has to do with liking the idea of Contests coming back in the anime, but despite how boring they could be in the games, Contests were still better than Musicals. At least there is a bit more interactive features with Contests. Plus, with the games being on the 3DS, the updated graphics could make Contests look cooler, at least during the appeal round, and maybe they can add some new features to give Contests some much needed improvements.

Contests should definitely come back! The Pokeathlon was okay, but it made my fingers hurt. And musicals just aren't as fun. And I'm not into making movies. Contests were awesome fun! If GameFreak wants to make everyone happy though, they'd add them all.

I could see it happening. France is a flamboyant place, so it's possible that Contests could make a comeback here. I preferred Contests over the other stuff (though making moves was fun), probably because it was the one side-story thing I was somewhat good at. And with the new graphics and stuff, it would make it more flashy and dynamic. But, knowing GF, they might throw us something completely different this time around. But, again, it's possible. If so, it might be worthwhile with the new, flashier moves.

They could bring them all back if they wanted too. Could throw in an online mode too.

Oh, and if contests come back, I'd like contest battles to be added! I really liked them in the anime, though they'd have to work a bit differently in the games, just like regular battles do. Here's how I'd make them work:

In any contest battle, the trainers would have a time limit and points meter, just like in the anime. And as usual, the appeal of the moves would be just as important as trying to land hits on your opponent. It would be kind of like the appeal stage in DPPt contests, only your moves would be hitting opponents instead of nothing. If you use certain other moves right after you've used a particular move, you could gain even more appeal than usual and lower your opponent's points further than normal. Super effective moves and moves that miss also drain more points.

In double and triple battles, certain moves used together would gain the most appeal. Rotation battles would work just like single battles, except with two Pokemon in immediate rotation.

I liked all the sidetracks, especially PokéStar, but with the exception of Musicals. It has so much potential, but there's really no reason to do them. You don't really win anything good (no ribbons or medals), and you can't really do much in them. It's really just a downgraded version of the dance portion from Gen IV super contests.

And speaking of the dance portion, I hope they bring it back, along with contests in general, but not as they were. Instead I think it would be cool to see a mixture of features from contests, super contests & anime-style contest battles (e.g. keep the Gen III "acting", Gen IV dance & possibly visual, and anime contest battles (and maybe visual).

Also: Wasn't Fantina a part-time coordinator from a faraway region? It would be a good excuse to finally explain which region she's from. (And c'mon, she's so stereotypically French.)

OMA, I totally forgot about this! Mind = blown.

Last edited:
That was just in the English version of the games. In the Japanese version she speaks English. And in the anime she yells the stereotypical American phrases, such as "Oh my god!" XD

yes : i want contest but i dont want another may clone

why not make the guy enter contests for once ?

as for the games i couldent give a toss since i never used contests

Contest with 3d animation could be interesting. Just like Pokethlon could be really good.

Let's see for what the writers will choose! or something new let's see!

That was just in the English version of the games. In the Japanese version she speaks English. And in the anime she yells the stereotypical American phrases, such as "Oh my god!" XD

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that, I didn't know!

But now I'm really wondering where she's from. O.O

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped pretty much everything and made a fashion-show minigame. You strut your stuff while trying to coordinate your clothes with your Pokemon's to fit a specific theme. (Sort of like a cross between a dog show and a normal fashion show.) That is, of course, assuming we have trainer customization and they really wanna show off.

For some reason, I could see you being able to choose what to wear for the contest.

Anyways, I kinda wish that there were contest battles, and the points system is in the background.

I wish they'd bring them back, and pokeatholons as well. While the other things were nice, there wasn't really any goal to strive for. Contest you got ribbons, and pokeatholons made getting things like stones easy. Though if they do bring back contests I rather they be just the appeal round like Gen III because I didn't really like the other two rounds in Gen IV. And of course a contest battling round would be awesome.

I'm gonna go against the popular opinion here and hope that if contests come back they won't have battles. I feel that contests should be a different animal compared to battles and that the anime only put battles in contests because the people working on the show believed that kids would find them boring otherwise.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for contests to return for a while. Definitely not a fan of Gen IV's contests though, the Gen III ones were so much better.

I'm not really a fan of the contests in the games, but at this point I would not mind playing a contest on a pokemon game in which the pokemon are shown moving on their own when they declare attacks. I don't know how the dancing elements will be performed, since these require very specific movements, and these movements probably won't be implemented for the 600+ pokemon that can be used in these games due to the constrained due date. I can see the move and appeal portions being used for a contest in the Gen 6 games, though.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom